No announcement yet.

10(11) Suggestions for the New Ownership Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw, thought of one other suggestion for the marlins new owners to endear themselves to the fanbase: Tommy Hutton back next year. You know tommy would love to be back.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
      1. As much as I love the teal and black, I think we're past that (though I will say the teal and black hats I've seen with the current logo do look good). That said, I wouldn't necessarily be surprised to see the logo slightly updated.

2. 100% agree. Loria did whatever he could to distance the team from the old colors. It's definitely time for more retro nights - I think this would've happened anyway with it being the 25th anniversary next year.

3. Personally, I've gotten used to the green walls. And when you see it on TV, you immediately know it's Marlins park by those green walls. Change them to blue, and it could become any other park. I didn't watch the WBC, and didn't know they made the walls blue, and while they don't look bad, they're not as unique. If they go for a blue, they need to use the bright blue in the logo.

4. 100% agree on the banners. Since the park opened, I've wondered why they didn't hang something (whether fabric or metal) spanning between the columns in the outfield up toward the roof rather than the tiny "flags" where they are now.....don't even get me started on Conine raising the limp flags indoors on Opening Day 2012. Division (I know we don't have any yet) or league pennants could be displayed by the "flags" that we use now as World Series ones, and it'd be appropriate. There are too many other areas that larger/more prominent World Series banners could be displayed to keep what they have now. If I get a chance later, I'll render something of what I'm thinking.

5. I disagree. I'll post what I put in the other thread - At this point keep it - it adds something to the experience of going to the park. Sure it's big and cartoon-y and you can laugh at it, but it's kind of fun and exciting for it to go off when a home run is hit. Plus what would you put there?

Here's the park without it:

Boring.

You said there are better ways to make it distinctly Miami without the sculpture. Like what? I'm all ears for an alternative, but you didn't propose one. So far all you've proposed is to take away the things that make Marlins Park unique - the green walls and home run sculpture.

6. I agree. I think (a few years ago at least) they had some sort of saturday/weekend plan. Did they discontinue it?

7. Really? I didn't realize they didn't offer partial season packages in the outfield. Doesn't seem very smart. And it's not as if day of game ticket sales are high enough to render ticket plans useless. I guess that's their way of pushing people into higher priced plans.

8. Sounds good to me.

9. 100% agree. They changed that this year, and it's terrible. I can't tell you how many times I've looked where they used to be only to remember it's just advertising.

10. Eh, the sound effects haven't ever really bothered me that much. Hey, they got rid of the energy team this year.

Bonus - I've never understood these arguments. Sure, there are some games where the players go at a snails' pace. But if it's flowing and/or there's offensive action, it's not that bad. I guess my point is more this - the moves that the league has made and that people argue for all the time don't do much. They shave off maybe 5 minutes MAX. I'm sorry, instituting all these rules to finish a game in 2:55 instead of 3:00 is not going to bring in some new wave of fans. Start the games on the hour instead of 7:10 if you want to finish at 10, but you can't do that because of TV, broadcasts have to start on the hour and have their 10 minute intro.

The out of town scoreboard WAS right below the sculpture on the video board there, and was constantly updated with the score, who was pitching, men on base, outs, etc.. This year, they display nothing but advertising on that video board below the sculpture and pick one narrow video board on the home run porch that displays a single game score occasionally, and it's terrible.

100% agree on the banners. See above.

---

I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on how to increase attendance. I think the non-Loria and Jeter effects will cause their own bumps. Obviously a consistently competitive team will help. But beyond those, what can they do to drum up interest? Would redeveloping the surrounding area help?
      I think the ballpark can be distinctly Miami without being incredibly tacky. We already have the fish tanks behind home plate. There is a Clevelander in left field. The stadium design in contemporary. I'm fairly certain it's the only ballpark in MLB with coconut trees. Concourses all have vibrant colors. There are views of downtown Miami. The sculpture doesn't even have an art style found in Miami like Art Deco or MiMo.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        Btw, thought of one other suggestion for the marlins new owners to endear themselves to the fanbase: Tommy Hutton back next year. You know tommy would love to be back.
        I liked Tommy, but Todd Hollandsworth is really good, and I don't know if they'd go to a three-man booth.

Comment

Originally posted by geemoney View Post
          I liked Tommy, but Todd Hollandsworth is really good, and I don't know if they'd go to a three-man booth.
          I dont mind Hollandsworth, but id prefer Tommy Hutton returning 10X more.

Comment

No way, Todd is 100X better than Hutton. Plus, I feel like Rich has gotten much better since Hutton left.

Comment

I definitely like Rich Waltz more now that T-Hut is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                I liked Tommy Hutton, but I think Todd Hollandsworth has done a great job, and I like him. Maybe they could make Hutton the sideline/roaming guy (can we get rid of Jessica Blalock please?? I miss Alison Williams) or one of the pre/post-game guys instead, and keep Todd in the booth.

Originally posted by Party View Post
                I think the ballpark can be distinctly Miami without being incredibly tacky. We already have the fish tanks behind home plate. There is a Clevelander in left field. The stadium design in contemporary. I'm fairly certain it's the only ballpark in MLB with coconut trees. Concourses all have vibrant colors. There are views of downtown Miami. The sculpture doesn't even have an art style found in Miami like Art Deco or MiMo.
                You can't see any coconut trees in the park. They removed the palm trees that they had planted to the left of the sculpture (they were planted during construction and removed before opening day 2012, I believe....I'll see if I can find a picture I had of it).

So what would you do instead of the sculpture? Nothing?

Comment

Working...
                X