This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
    Yeah, Gordon-Prado-Yelich-Stanton-Morse-Ozuna-Salty-Hech would be my ideal.

But I think Big Z's is what they will do.
    I was originally on the side of Big Z's lineup. But damnit if putting Prado up at #2 doesn't get one of the better hitters in the lineup more at bats and better situations. I like Yelich at the 2 spot too and honestly wouldn't be upset at all if the front office chooses to go with the lineup Big Z posted.

Either way I think the lineup will work. I do feel a bit hesitant putting 1/2 guys in the lineup who can't get on base at a 33% clip. Also given Yelich's relative speed around the bases it feels a bit like hamstringing him in a spot in the lineup where he won't really be able to utilize his base running ability, whether it be stealing bases or creating disadvantages in multiple other ways on the base paths.

It's nice that this kind of discussion can happen now. I'm talking myself back and forth but Yelich batting 2nd probably creates the most runs throughout the season. Yelich will probably post a great OBP, Gordon can steal bases at a whim when he does get on base, and having Stanton-Morse back to back creates the muscle you need to get runs on the board early. If anything I might actually move Ozuna down to 6 in the lineup and put Prado at 5, that way you get a good contact hitter in between the free swinging power hitters and create even more balance throughout the lineup.

I don't know if there's really any wrong answer here. Just different perspectives.

Comment

• lineup analysis says

Gordon-Prado-Yelich-Stanton-Morse-Ozuna-Salty-Hech is 5 runs better than
      Gordon-Yelich-Stanton-Morse-Prado-Ozuna-Salty-Hech which is 1 run better than
      Gordon-Yelich-Stanton-Morse-Ozuna-Prado-Salty-Hech

that's over 162 games

so yeah, probably doesn't really matter too much

that's using their 2014 numbers
      Last edited by HUGG; 12-20-2014, 02:50 AM.

Comment

• Cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
          Day 1 was too quiet for my liking.

Bad feeling we do very little this offseason.
          Funny when this was being said and now busiest span in Marlins history since 2005 firesale.

The front office haters on this board have to give a lot of credit for the team that has been built in just a few shorts weeks. And there are probably a few finishing touches yet to come. Worst thing anyone can say is "yea but now we have no minor league depth." Who cares!? Lets win games that matter now and not worry about winning the Baseball America Nostradamus lists
          STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Front office haters.

Comment

• I mean, I'm excited about what they've done, but let's not act like they've put together some unimpeachable world-beater either, or that they hit every move out of the park.

*Sees projection of 81 wins, +1 run differential, 7th-place finish in the NL*
              poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                I mean, I'm excited about what they've done, but let's not act like they've put together some unimpeachable world-beater either, or that they hit every move out of the park.

*Sees projection of 81 wins, +1 run differential, 7th-place finish in the NL*
                This. And with the assets they dealt out, a smarter front office probably get more out of those assets. Let's not act like they put together the '27 Yankees (see what I did there)

Comment

• Like, this could be a good team. I think there's also some 2012 potential here, with guys like Ozuna, Gordon, Alvarez and Cosart looming as regression candidates and Latos and Jose representing massive amounts of risk.

I'd expect something around 85 wins as currently constructed, but this team is by no means a lock for playoff contention.
                  --------------------
                  I think they've done a good job, but the payroll limitations probably forced them to give up waaaaay too much for Gordon, for one.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they could've traded for Gordon and Prado without having to get cash back? Probably could've given up less in terms of assets for those. Just look at how little they Gave up for Latos, vs. Prado. Or how much less the Dodgers had to give up for Kendrick, an inarguably better player than Gordon.

They've done a fine job. They haven't killed it.
                  Last edited by Bobbob1313; 12-20-2014, 08:50 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                  poop

Comment

• How many teams can you even say are a playoff lock? As long as you're in the group of 6-8 teams in your league competing for the top 5 spots, that's as best as you can hope for. I can't remember the last time there was a clear cut team that was championship or bust.

And lets not be exaggerative, the prospects we had were average future major leaguers AT BEST. What kind of returns would you expect? We've put together a playoff contender at approx 80mil. That's genius in my book.
                    --------------------
                    Nothing is ever good enough for the majority of this board.
                    Last edited by BigGameFish; 12-20-2014, 10:04 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                    STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Majority of this board seems pretty damn thrilled. Maybe you should stop being so defensive and attacking everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
                        How many teams can you even say are a playoff lock? As long as you're in the group of 6-8 teams in your league competing for the top 5 spots, that's as best as you can hope for. I can't remember the last time there was a clear cut team that was championship or bust.

And lets not be exaggerative, the prospects we had were average future major leaguers AT BEST. What kind of returns would you expect? We've put together a playoff contender at approx 80mil. That's genius in my book.
                        --------------------
                        I am stoked about this team, but the team could have been put together better by a smarter front office. That's all I'm saying.

As for average AT best, Heaney was seen as a potential #2 by many scouts and prospect people. That's not average at best.

Comment

• I finally watched the Press Conference. I really, really like Morse. He seems extremely personable and genuinely excited to join Miami. He knew a lot about the organization already and its history. I am a fan already. I think he'll be a great clubhouse addition and hopefully will have a great year on the field as well.
                          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
                            Nah.

You just think that anyone who thinks they haven't made any mistakes along the way is a "hater."
                            poop

Comment

• I actually think they've done an overwhelmingly good job of remaking this team within the confines of their (artificially installed) budget. I'm more impressed with what they've done than any other team in the league.
                              --------------------
                              Other teams have had more impressive offseasons, but degree of difficulty is different.

Friedman's done an amazing job in LA, but he also can just throw money around like it's nothing, so that makes things a lot easier.
                              Last edited by HUGG; 12-21-2014, 12:18 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                                I finally watched the Press Conference. I really, really like Morse. He seems extremely personable and genuinely excited to join Miami. He knew a lot about the organization already and its history. I am a fan already. I think he'll be a great clubhouse addition and hopefully will have a great year on the field as well.
                                Both he and Latos were Marlins' fans growing up. Pretty cool to be playing for the team you cheered on as a kid, and I think Morse has continued to cheer them on over the years. Supposedly Prado was also ecstatic to come down here.

Comment

Working...
                                X