No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was the Harrison trade, not the Brinson trade. Both are rated evenly now, but it's Monster H on the rapid rise. All he has to do is get the whiff rate down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
      It was the Harrison trade, not the Brinson trade. Both are rated evenly now, but it's Monster H on the rapid rise. All he has to do is get the whiff rate down.
      Id calm down on that for the time being. Harrison certainly has huge potential, but they arent rated evenly right now. I think Brinson is the safer prospect, even though he isnt sure fire at all. Harrison i think might have a little higher ceiling as of now based on what he showed last year and given his huge athleticism, but he needs to show that for more than just a year.

- - - - - - - - - -

That rangers trade today for more international money really concerns me as far as the Cuban OF goes.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post

That rangers trade today for more international money really concerns me as far as the Cuban OF goes.
        Did you honestly believe that the Marlins were going to sign him? I wonder how long it will take for the team to get in on the top international talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by flamarlins93 View Post
          Did you honestly believe that the Marlins were going to sign him? I wonder how long it will take for the team to get in on the top international talent.
          Its always been a long (maybe medium-term) shot IMO for the marlins to get Martinez and that we're more of a secondary possibility but I really want to see how much of an impact Denbo has on our long term (perhaps i guess short term in the case of martinez) IFA possibilities. I obviously would fucking love Martinez, but im more concerned about our overall general IFA Goal for the future and the general IFA goal of our organization. If we miss out on Martinez, OK, just show me a general goal to take advantage of IFA for once as a low market team and im cool. I understand being pissed at not signing him. My overall position is not that we dont sign one particular IFA its a general position towards IFA's in general.
          Last edited by fish16; 02-21-2018, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• Brinson is in the starting lineup for Friday. So is Sierra so I doubt much can be made of it but it still gives me a little chill.

Comment

• I'll be there.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
              Brinson is in the starting lineup for Friday. So is Sierra so I doubt much can be made of it but it still gives me a little chill.
              Where did you see the lineup released?

Comment

Id also be OK with STILL adding Jay or Melky. Cooper is a wild card even though im high on him and I think we're over estimating how good Van Slyke is based on his performance from a few years ago. Wont be the end of the world for a month, but i think theres a chance he might just be done as a productive ML player. He's been truly bad for 3 straight years. I guess we have Ortega too who Lou seems to be high on I just dont see the fascination with him.
                I think Ortega could be a solid bench OF. I'm not sure that means I'm that high on him, but that would be a nice MILB signee if they did find a decent guy for free. Zips has him at .252/.309/.352 with plus defense and speed. He also has had 3 solid years of MiLB BABIPS and his time in Anaheim his BABIP was comically low. Hamilton basically has the same hitting line and is managing 2.5 WAR seasons. I highly suspect Ortega is not as great defensively or on the bases, but take 40% of that and that's still a solid bench guy.

Definitely don't need more OF signings. Opening day is probably this:

Realmuto, Wallach
                Bour, Cooper
                Castro
                Rojas, Riddle
                Prado
                Dietrich
                Maybin
                Ortega, SVS

By May 15th or so, Brinson and Anderson are coming fast. Ortega, SVS, and Cooper could be easy DFAs (with Prado, Rojas, and likely Anderson becoming the backup OF with Maybin/Brinson splitting CF), but if they also work out, you have roster problems and you don't want to just drop guys for the hell of it.

For their present purposes of bridging the gap this season, the offense is good to go for me. Get to May for Brinson and Anderson, and reassess then.

They should sign an innings eater though.

Comment

• Agree on the inning eater part. There are gonna be some quality starters available for cheap in the coming weeks. Bad thing though is that traditionally in the last few years guys who have signed this late generally dont have great years.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post

- - - - - - - - - -

Where did you see the lineup released?
                    Frisaro posted a photo of the lineup card on Twitter around 9:00 AM

Comment

Not that anyone cares, but David Samson took a flame thrower to Scott Boras again today on the lebatard show. Essentially said he never has his clients best interests in mind and flat out said that Boras' emotion at Fernandez's funeral was fake.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tjfla, do you have any insight into why we didnt go after Gomez for a similar price? Im assuming it has something to do with behavioral issues in his past or maybe they dont think he can play CF anymore but id be interested to find out why. Seems like a better bet to be able to flip at the deadline than maybin.
                      They had and STILL have offers out to OF for 1/3 plus incentives. Maybe Maybin was first to take it no clue?

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                      Id calm down on that for the time being. Harrison certainly has huge potential, but they arent rated evenly right now. I think Brinson is the safer prospect, even though he isnt sure fire at all. Harrison i think might have a little higher ceiling as of now based on what he showed last year and given his huge athleticism, but he needs to show that for more than just a year.

- - - - - - - - - -

Texas still only has like 1.75 million. If Martinez waits till July 2 he could get 3+ million easy.

Its not like signing now will do anything for him except get him LESS money. IF he signs with Texas he will be in AA by August. If he signs with Miami he will be in AA by August

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
                      I think Ortega could be a solid bench OF. I'm not sure that means I'm that high on him, but that would be a nice MILB signee if they did find a decent guy for free. Zips has him at .252/.309/.352 with plus defense and speed. He also has had 3 solid years of MiLB BABIPS and his time in Anaheim his BABIP was comically low. Hamilton basically has the same hitting line and is managing 2.5 WAR seasons. I highly suspect Ortega is not as great defensively or on the bases, but take 40% of that and that's still a solid bench guy.

Definitely don't need more OF signings. Opening day is probably this:

Realmuto, Wallach
                      Bour, Cooper
                      Castro
                      Rojas, Riddle
                      Prado
                      Dietrich
                      Maybin
                      Ortega, SVS

By May 15th or so, Brinson and Anderson are coming fast. Ortega, SVS, and Cooper could be easy DFAs (with Prado, Rojas, and likely Anderson becoming the backup OF with Maybin/Brinson splitting CF), but if they also work out, you have roster problems and you don't want to just drop guys for the hell of it.

For their present purposes of bridging the gap this season, the offense is good to go for me. Get to May for Brinson and Anderson, and reassess then.

They should sign an innings eater though.
                      Don't need to DFA Cooper but ya u can DFA SVS and Ortega if needed. Even tho we have about 6 40 man spots that could open up fast

Wouldn't be surprised if we signed a Seth Smith or cheap vet on a minor league deal even tho they still have offers to Jay and Melky. Shit maybe Isaac Galloway makes the ML team after 30 yrs

As for the innings eater,they are trying. They have offers out to a few guys but nothing as of yet-u don't need anything great just a guy who can eat some innings for a few months
                      Last edited by tjfla; 02-22-2018, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• I would have gone with Galloway over Maybin. To me at least, they are the same dang player. Note on that Friday lineup card: Ugliest nine replacements I've ever seen!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
                          I would have gone with Galloway over Maybin. To me at least, they are the same dang player. Note on that Friday lineup card: Ugliest nine replacements I've ever seen!
                          Galloway can't hit A Ball pitching!!

Its the first game guys gotta get in shape first. Just wait till u see the SS games-now those are some ugly lineups(but we least get to say WOW that guy is still in the system)

- - - - - - - - - -

Looks like Honeywell from TB just blew out his arm

Comment

• Id like to see Galloway get some major league time this year. He sucks, but he's a nice story given how long he has toiled in our system and he hit well last year in limited time in AAA. He's not better than maybin.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                              Don't need to DFA Cooper but ya u can DFA SVS and Ortega if needed. Even tho we have about 6 40 man spots that could open up fast

Wouldn't be surprised if we signed a Seth Smith or cheap vet on a minor league deal even tho they still have offers to Jay and Melky. Shit maybe Isaac Galloway makes the ML team after 30 yrs

As for the innings eater,they are trying. They have offers out to a few guys but nothing as of yet-u don't need anything great just a guy who can eat some innings for a few months
                              If they sign Jay or Melky, that basically pushes Dietrich to starting at 3B and Prado to Marwin Gonzalez. I mean that's what a good team does and isn't trotting out three of Cooper/Ortega/SVS as a position player platoon, but at the same time who cares? Let the kids play and see if they have something. Ortega or Cooper turning into a solid player would be a real boon.

Unless of course you're trading any one of Dietrich/Prado/Castro/Bour. That makes more sense then to me at least for bringing in another guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                                If they sign Jay or Melky, that basically pushes Dietrich to starting at 3B and Prado to Marwin Gonzalez. I mean that's what a good team does and isn't trotting out three of Cooper/Ortega/SVS as a position player platoon, but at the same time who cares? Let the kids play and see if they have something. Ortega or Cooper turning into a solid player would be a real boon.

Unless of course you're trading any one of Dietrich/Prado/Castro/Bour. That makes more sense then to me at least for bringing in another guy.
                                What they will probably do is sign a Seth Smith,Ben Revere,Fraklin Guiterrez to a minor league deal. They wanted Colby Rasmus but he signed with Baltimore-if he doesn't make the team I could see us try on him again

- - - - - - - - - -

The wish list for next month is

#1 Talk JT trade(Nothing really close)
                                #2 Sign a Vet SP for 1/3(around that)
                                #3 Get another OF for cheap(Likely Minor League deal with an out clause)
                                #4 Look for cheap LH RP-Minor League/DFA type

AAA OF for first month is Lee/Brinson/Sierra with Galloway/Ortega/Shuck/Norwood. So they have depth no matter what they do.
                                Last edited by tjfla; 02-22-2018, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X