Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    Id also be OK with STILL adding Jay or Melky. Cooper is a wild card even though im high on him and I think we're over estimating how good Van Slyke is based on his performance from a few years ago. Wont be the end of the world for a month, but i think theres a chance he might just be done as a productive ML player. He's been truly bad for 3 straight years. I guess we have Ortega too who Lou seems to be high on I just dont see the fascination with him.
    Ya doubt we add either of them. Minor League deal more likely

Ortega is a decent 4th OF. Older Braxton Lee

Van Slyke sucks but can play all 3 OF spots and Mattingly he loves his vets

Cooper can hit but below average defense in OF in a massive park like ours.

Comment

• We're not gonna be good, but if we wait until right around the deadline to trade all those vets, i dont think we're gonna be nearly as bad as people think we will. Although i do think theres a possibility the rotation is even worse than we think it will be if Urena pitches more towards his FIP than he did last year. He might just be a guy who pitches well in our ballpark though.

On the other hand, i could see our rotation being at the very least not as big of a disaster as last year. If straily and Urena pitch to their year last year, Conley cant be any worse, and i find it hard to believe we wont be able to find guys to pitch better than guys like Koehler, Nicolino, Worley, and Locke did in the time they were in the rotation. Im interested to see what conley does this year. He was never a front of the rotation guy, but I find it hard to believe he's anywhere near as bad as he was last year.

- - - - - - - - - -

Plus our bullpen should be really solid. I hope Tazawa gets his shit under control and can be respectable at least. I know it's hard to feel bad for a major league pitcher making 7 million, but it cant be easy going through the anxiety and stuff he went through in a new city in a foreign country while youre struggling like that.

Comment

We're not gonna be good, but if we wait until right around the deadline to trade all those vets, i dont think we're gonna be nearly as bad as people think we will. Although i do think theres a possibility the rotation is even worse than we think it will be if Urena pitches more towards his FIP than he did last year. He might just be a guy who pitches well in our ballpark though.

On the other hand, i could see our rotation being at the very least not as big of a disaster as last year. If straily and Urena pitch to their year last year, Conley cant be any worse, and i find it hard to believe we wont be able to find guys to pitch better than guys like Koehler, Nicolino, Worley, and Locke did in the time they were in the rotation. Im interested to see what conley does this year. He was never a front of the rotation guy, but I find it hard to believe he's anywhere near as bad as he was last year.
        After June,any offer we get for Ziegler,Taz,Castro,Prado,Maybin,Straily they are likely gone. Oakland and Cubs will be on DD around deadline. Bearclaw,Bour.JT(if still here) will be kept till deadline

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          After June,any offer we get for Ziegler,Taz,Castro,Prado,Maybin,Straily they are likely gone. Oakland and Cubs will be on DD around deadline. Bearclaw,Bour.JT(if still here) will be kept till deadline
          I think Dietrich has more value than people give him credit for. I think he'll play well and have some value at the deadline. I kinda wish he could play 2b every day though where his bat will look more impressive, but i guess teams already know he can play all those other positions. Id wait till the offseason for Prado though I think. I think he's a good veteran presence and a full year off the disaster that last year was on top of him becoming an expiring deal could have some more value to a contender next year. I really dont like Ziegler so ill be glad to see him go ASAP, and anything we get for Tazawa is a bonus.

Ive grown on keeping Bour though unless we get a really good offer, which is possible given his production every year as long as he is healthy. He's got 3 more years of team control, we dont really have anything in the system at 1b, and I think he's actually a super underrated player because he has had health issues. Numbers wise though he's been really good. Bball reference has his 162 game extrapolated career numbers at 28 hr's, 96 rbi's, .346 OBP and .835 OPS.

Comment

I think Dietrich has more value than people give him credit for. I think he'll play well and have some value at the deadline. I kinda wish he could play 2b every day though where his bat will look more impressive, but i guess teams already know he can play all those other positions. Id wait till the offseason for Prado though I think. I think he's a good veteran presence and a full year off the disaster that last year was on top of him becoming an expiring deal could have some more value to a contender next year. I really dont like Ziegler so ill be glad to see him go ASAP, and anything we get for Tazawa is a bonus.

Ive grown on keeping Bour though unless we get a really good offer, which is possible given his production every year as long as he is healthy. He's got 3 more years of team control, we dont really have anything in the system at 1b, and I think he's actually a super underrated player because he has had health issues. Numbers wise though he's been really good. Bball reference has his 162 game extrapolated career numbers at 28 hr's, 96 rbi's, .346 OBP and .835 OPS.
            O I agree with DD having value especially in the AL. Just saying he is the type of guy Oakland and the Cubs like alot

I love Bour the issue is he is turning 30. His value is pretty good right now(especially in AL where he can DH) and we have other guys who can play 1B. If Bour is 25 with 3 yrs of control I would say try to extend him.
            Last edited by tjfla; 02-21-2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

O I agree with DD having value especially in the AL. Just saying he is the type of guy Oakland and the Cubs like alot

I love Bour the issue is he is turning 30. His value is pretty good right now(especially in AL where he can DH) and we have other guys who can play 1B. If Bour is 25 with 3 yrs of control I would say try to extend him.
              Ya, I didnt think about Oakland until you mentioned them but he seems like the quintessential Billy Beane type player that he's liked in recent years especially. Cubs make less sense to me but we'll see.

Fair point on Bour's age though. We'll just have to wait till the deadline and see what he's doing and what the offers are. Just saying that his career numbers indicate that he is a really damn good hitter if he could just stay healthy an entire year.

Comment

Ya, I didnt think about Oakland until you mentioned them but he seems like the quintessential Billy Beane type player that he's liked in recent years especially. Cubs make less sense to me but we'll see.

Fair point on Bour's age though. We'll just have to wait till the deadline and see what he's doing and what the offers are. Just saying that his career numbers indicate that he is a really damn good hitter if he could just stay healthy an entire year.
                Less sense? He is Coghlan who Maddon loves. Can play 1B/2B/3B/OF HIGH OBP and can bat leadoff.

Comment

Less sense? He is Coghlan who Maddon loves. Can play 1B/2B/3B/OF HIGH OBP and can bat leadoff.
                  I just think as of now they dont really have a need for that. They kind of have a surplus of versatile position players. We'll see come the deadline though.

Comment

• Not that anyone cares, but David Samson took a flame thrower to Scott Boras again today on the lebatard show. Essentially said he never has his clients best interests in mind and flat out said that Boras' emotion at Fernandez's funeral was fake.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tjfla, do you have any insight into why we didnt go after Gomez for a similar price? Im assuming it has something to do with behavioral issues in his past or maybe they dont think he can play CF anymore but id be interested to find out why. Seems like a better bet to be able to flip at the deadline than maybin.

Comment

• If Brinson is up opening day I'm going to lose it

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                        If Brinson is up opening day I'm going to lose it
                        Im kind of worried about this too. I dont think the marlins beat writers are particularly "clued in" to the thinking of the front office to begin with, but the lack of discussion from them about his service time and the benefits of keeping him down is worrying me a lot. Who knows if they even know his contract status, but the entire discussion of all the beat writers has been centered around his spring training performance. They could just be relaying the marlins messaging on that though and the marlins have no incentive to say anything but that even if they know internally that he will be down until his free agency deadline anyways. Will be really interesting to see what they do.

Comment

I dont have faith that they will make the right service time move for a variety of reasons.
                          If they don’t make the right service time move, we’ll know the front office is made up of amateurs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                            If they don’t make the right service time move, we’ll know the front office is made up of amateurs.
                            Yep.

No debate with Brinson.

While it is not the best, I'm not sure Peters and Anderson have the upside for it to really matter 7 years from now. I won't be livid if they are up, but it's still a little questionable.

I don't think there is a debate about Alcantara and Sierra staying down at this point so not worried about them.

So it's just Brinson really. Marlins have a home series starting May 10th. That's the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                              If they screw it up I think it'd be a pretty good indication that Hill is still making decisions. Fucking up service time was a staple of the Loria era.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                                Yep.

No debate with Brinson.

While it is not the best, I'm not sure Peters and Anderson have the upside for it to really matter 7 years from now. I won't be livid if they are up, but it's still a little questionable.

I don't think there is a debate about Alcantara and Sierra staying down at this point so not worried about them.

So it's just Brinson really. Marlins have a home series starting May 10th. That's the day.
                                My thoughts exactly. Brinson is a no brainer though. It's to the point though where I hope he does well in spring training, but i have such little confidence in them doing the right thing that id be ok with him having a bad or not so great spring.

I think Peters given the rotation and how he looked in September is not the end of the world. Anderson might not have a place if we want to play Prado every day, but i think he kind of proved himself at the AAA level and honestly deserves to be up to start the year.

Agree on Alcantara and Sierra. I think it will be pretty clear they arent MLB ready to start the year. The big question is Brinson though.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                                If they screw it up I think it'd be a pretty good indication that Hill is still making decisions. Fucking up service time was a staple of the Loria era.
                                I cant remember the service time stuff with the previous ownership, who did we screw up? I believe we did with Jose if i recall correctly, right?

- - - - - - - - - -

My main concern with Brinson is the combination of him clearly being the future as the face of the franchise given his prospect status and surging popularity as a likable hometown kid, this not being a situation like acuna/Bryant where the team only needs to keep him down for a week, the fact that although the new ownership hasnt shown they truly care about the PR of the situation thus far I could totally see them caving to fan pressure to get him up right away, and the fact that he might already be MLB ready.

I do have hope though given Jeter and Denbo's comments that tend to show they are clearly more future oriented and have an overall bigger picture in mind. This is their first major test in terms of sticking to the (cliche) process.

Comment

Working...
                                X