Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    I agree that this team needs top end guys for JT which is why i think we should hold out for Soto, but you are overrating the hell out of JT's value if you think 3 top 100 prospects + another flier isnt even close. You can say the marlins should want to hold out for a star for JT, and i agree, but thats good value for JT.
    Three players at the bottom of the top 100 (of one list) isn't good value for a 26 year old catcher playing for peanuts for the next 3 years with his numbers. For Jonathan Lucroy, the Indians agreed to send a package of 4 prospects headlined by Francisco Mejia. That's Jonathan Lucroy, a 30 year old catcher who wasn't playing at Realmuto's level at the time.

Do you know who the 71st, 76th, and 87th best prospect in 2012 was? Daniel Corcino, Jarred Cosart, and Gregory Polanco (one spot behind Marlins superstar Justin Nicolino). 2013: Luis Sardinas, Luis Heredia, and Jimmy Nelson.

Those guys aren't exactly setting the world on fire. In fact, look at 70 and on in any year, and most of those guys are a real who's who of nobodies. There are some good players sprinkled in there, but you're far more likely to find mediocrity. That's why I can't get behind a deal involving a bunch of those types of prospects.
    Last edited by sports24/7; 02-06-2018, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
      Three players at the bottom of the top 100 (of one list) isn't good value for a 26 year old catcher playing for peanuts for the next 3 years with his numbers. For Jonathan Lucroy, the Indians agreed to send a package of 4 prospects headlined by Francisco Mejia. That's Jonathan Lucroy, a 30 year old catcher who wasn't playing at Realmuto's level at the time.

Do you know who the 71st, 76th, and 87th best prospect in 2012 was? Daniel Corcino, Jarred Cosart, and Gregory Polanco (one spot behind Marlins superstar Justin Nicolino). 2013: Luis Sardinas, Luis Heredia, and Jimmy Nelson.

Those guys aren't exactly setting the world on fire. In fact, look at 70 and on in any year, and most of those guys are a real who's who of nobodies. There are some good players sprinkled in there, but you're far more likely to find mediocrity. That's why I can't get behind a deal involving a bunch of those types of prospects.
      They also then went on to trade Lucroy for Brinson and number 70 or so guy in Luis Ortiz as well as a decent reliever. Im not saying i would do that trade, just that it's value adds up to realmuto. I dont want that kind of trade though.

Comment

• http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ml...198595674.html

They fired the guy that played Billy the Marlin.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
          http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ml...198595674.html

They fired the guy that played Billy the Marlin.
          bigger story there to me was finding out that the same guy played billy the marlins for 14 straight years.

Comment

bigger story there to me was finding out that the same guy played billy the marlins for 14 straight years.
            The original guy apparently went from inception until 2003 too.

So there's been 2 Billys in the franchise's history haha.

Comment

Last edited by dim; 02-06-2018, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                His name is John. One of the nicest, most laid back people you'll ever meet. He also helped hiring and managing the Sea Creature race during that time AND did community events all around South Florida year round while working and raising a family. I never knew how he did that.

Worked with the team last year so got to talk to him semi regularly. No doubt he's gonna find something better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                so he had other responsibilities besides being in the costume? Because that would make more sense. Looks like we're gonna have to bring up one of our minor league mascots to take his place though. Hopefully we've been developing some other talent in the system. Any word on how much money we've spent in the international free agent mascot market?

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                The original guy apparently went from inception until 2003 too.

So there's been 2 Billys in the franchise's history haha.
                i feel awful for any mascot who had to be in that costume in the old stadium. That seems miserable and honestly kind of dangerous. I remember reading a story a few years back on the guy in the burnie costume at heat games and just how much he sweat in that thing, i could only imagine how bad it would be back in the old stadium.

Comment

• FULL REBUILDING ONE MASCOT AT A TIME

Comment

His name is John. One of the nicest, most laid back people you'll ever meet. He also helped hiring and managing the Sea Creature race during that time AND did community events all around South Florida year round while working and raising a family. I never knew how he did that.

Worked with the team last year so got to talk to him semi regularly. No doubt he's gonna find something better.

Is the sea creature race still going to happen, or is Jeter going to get rid of that too?

Comment

Comment

I wouldn't count on it being back. A lot of is being redesigned.

im cool with that. Our in game in ball park experience leaves a ton to be desired.

Comment

I wouldn't count on it being back. A lot of is being redesigned.

A lot of is? What's being redesigned?

I enjoyed the sea creatures race. Costumes probably cost too much - gotta cut costs! I'd love to see firework Fridays come back, but I doubt that'll happen.

Comment

They also then went on to trade Lucroy for Brinson and number 70 or so guy in Luis Ortiz as well as a decent reliever. Im not saying i would do that trade, just that it's value adds up to realmuto. I dont want that kind of trade though.
                            That's a much better haul than the Nats offer, IMO. Brinson is a legitimate top prospect, and number 70 is the second best player, not the best.

Comment

Comment

Last edited by dim; 02-06-2018, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X