No announcement yet.

Rosenthal: Marlins Trade Yelich to the Brewers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of you will just criticize every move at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by flamarlins93 View Post
      Jackson is reporting after the Yelich trade the payroll is still 97 million for this year and they want to get below 90.
      How is that even possible that it’s still that high?

Originally posted by Erick View Post
      Some of you will just criticize every move at this point.
      Not sure if that was directed at me, but my opinion has been all along that unless you get an overlay for Yelich, you don’t trade him. I don’t care that he wants out, trading him because he wants out sets a bad precedent.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post

Not sure if that was directed at me, but my opinion has been all along that unless you get an overlay for Yelich, you don’t trade him. I don’t care that he wants out, trading him because he wants out sets a bad precedent.
        Off the top of my head

Prado 13
        Chen 10
        Volquez 14
        Ziegler 9
        Castro 11

Bour 3
        Straily 4
        Realmuto 3
        Rojas 1

Tazawa 6

12 club controlled players, 8 million or so

Dietrich 3

That’s how you get that high

- - - - - - - - - -

I’m st a bar,spare me math criticism please

Comment

This is a nice deal though. What were you expecting?

Comment

Debatebale. High floor low ceiling all three of them from what I’ve read (mainly FG)

I would prefer pitching

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
              Debatebale. High floor low ceiling all three of them from what I’ve read (mainly FG)

I would prefer pitching
              What they need more than anything is talent.

Brinson is a 5-tool, consensus top 15-20 prospect. And the other 3 are all interesting. Depending on the rankings you look at, they got 3 top 100 prospects.

Acuna/Vlad Jr...it was good that they asked, but that was unrealistic. Everything I’ve read from industry sources...I haven’t seen anyone say this is bad value. I don’t see anything wrong with the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                Off the top of my head

Prado 13
                Chen 10
                Volquez 14
                Ziegler 9
                Castro 11

Bour 3
                Straily 4
                Realmuto 3
                Rojas 1

Tazawa 6

12 club controlled players, 8 million or so

Dietrich 3

That’s how you get that high

- - - - - - - - - -

I’m st a bar,spare me math criticism please
                I forgot about Castro’s 11M.

I mean, I’ll admit you all know more about prospects than I do, but I expected several top guys. If that’s what this is, then great.

Comment

This is the best haul they've gotten yet, but it wasn't an overpay. And there's really no way anyone can make a logical argument that it is. The truth is, Miami decided they were going to trade Yelich, and this was the best offer they got. The whole thing about them having to get an overpay is nonsense.

As for the deal itself. Brinson has monster upside. That is something to be excited about. He's old for a prospect, though. I like Diaz enough. You can't have enough middle IF prospects IMO, and he's a pretty decent one. Harrison is another guy you'd like to add, but I'd have liked him a lot more if he were the 4th prospect, not the 3rd. The fact is, you had to get one of their top pitchers in this deal for it to feel good, and they didn't. If it were those three and Burnes, Woodruff, or Ortiz that's a pretty solid return for Yelich. I have said they need to add bats, and that's why I'm good with Brinson and Diaz, but to complete the deal, if you're not getting an elite prospect, you also needed a good arm. The good news is he won't be in the division. This deal is underwhelming, though.

Comment

I forgot about Castro’s 11M.

I mean, I’ll admit you all know more about prospects than I do, but I expected several top guys. If that’s what this is, then great.
                    They got a consensus top 15-20 prospect. In total, 2 (or 3, depending on which rankings you look at) top 100 guys. I don’t know, that seems fair.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                    This is the best haul they've gotten yet, but it wasn't an overpay. And there's really no way anyone can make a logical argument that it is. The truth is, Miami decided they were going to trade Yelich, and this was the best offer they got. The whole thing about them having to get an overpay is nonsense.

As for the deal itself. Brinson has monster upside. That is something to be excited about. He's old for a prospect, though. I like Diaz enough. You can't have enough middle IF prospects IMO, and he's a pretty decent one. Harrison is another guy you'd like to add, but I'd have liked him a lot more if he were the 4th prospect, not the 3rd. The fact is, you had to get one of their top pitchers in this deal for it to feel good, and they didn't. If it were those three and Burnes, Woodruff, or Ortiz that's a pretty solid return for Yelich. I have said they need to add bats, and that's why I'm good with Brinson and Diaz, but to complete the deal, if you're not getting an elite prospect, you also needed a good arm. The good news is he won't be in the division. This deal is underwhelming, though.
                    The pitcher they got in return is not a top prospect but his stats are intriguing. Probably more intriguing than some of the top guys stats wise.

Comment

The problem is they need 1/2 SP. You can get outfielders. The biggest piece is an OF and depending on the scouting service the second biggest piece is an OF.

I mean I guess you have officially given up and you can get top end SP for Realmuto, 2018 1st rounder, and the # 1 pick in 2019, but Yelich was your biggest asset. Pitching is the most important thing.

Not even Burnes? It just sucks.

Comment

Anybody have home/away splits at AAA on Brinson? Isn't Colorado Springs considered the most hitter friendly park in baseball?

- - - - - - - - - -

nvm just found them. Brinson's OPS .258 points higher at home as I suspected.

I actually think I like Harrison more than Brinson.

Comment

They got a consensus top 15-20 prospect. In total, 2 (or 3, depending on which rankings you look at) top 100 guys. I don’t know, that seems fair.

- - - - - - - - - -

The pitcher they got in return is not a top prospect but his stats are intriguing. Probably more intriguing than some of the top guys stats wise.
                          And how much did Adam Eaton get last year? he got what was considered a monster haul and he’s older and doesn’t have as good of a contract as Yelich, but get got less?

Comment

And how much did Adam Eaton get last year? he got what was considered a monster haul and he’s older and doesn’t have as good of a contract as Yelich, but get got less?
                            Is it less? Seems about the same talent wise. The White Sox package was pitching heavy while the Marlins got hitters. Talent wise, it’s a similar deal. Marlins get more quantity with a 4th player in the deal who averaged over a strikeout an inning in high A.

Comment

Keith Law said the Marlins did well in this trade FWIW.

Comment

Just got home from an abomination of a heat game and my first reaction looking more at Yamamoto's stats: Don't know if its sustainable at higher levels, but i love the kind of pitcher he is. I havent read anything about his actual stuff to this point, but he checks all the boxes performance wise for me as far as minor league starting pitching goes: goes deep into games, low walks, over a k/IP, and the appropriate age for every league he's been to. Not saying he's a good prospect at all because I havent looked into his actual stuff and how much his performance could be related to his future potential, just saying I like the actual style of pitcher he is.

- - - - - - - - - -

NExt question for me is what is the explanation behind Monte Harrison's improvement at the plate this season compared to his previous years? Is it sustainable? 21 hr's, 27/31 SB's, .832 OPS across 2 levels, but a lot of k's still too. He looks like a very interesting prospect too.

Looking at Diaz's stats, reminds me a bit of left handed Dan Uggla stat wise and position wise, but Uggla has a little more power seemingly. Good power for the 2b position though, lots of k's but also a really solid amount of walks and therefore a good OBP, average fielder, 4th best 2b prospect in the league according to the just released mlb.com rankings (these are for next year and not the old one's people have been quoting.).

I kinda like this trade a lot, but i want to hear more about the pitchers actual stuff and actual potential rather than just going by the numbers. I think we might have just gotten 3 future + lineup position players and an interesting looking SP prospect.

- - - - - - - - - -

I feel like we're getting to the time where we can maybe start projecting future teams. JT is gonna get traded and its a big question mark if we could get robles, but if we could get him we're looking pretty damn good for year 1 of a rebuild. Future at a lot of positions looks to be solidified.

1b- Bour?
                                2b with Diaz
                                3b- with Anderson, Dunand maybe
                                OF- Robles, Brinson, Sierra, Brian Miller, Braxton Lee, Harrison

Sp- guzman, Alcantara, Gallen, Conley, Urena, Yamamoto, Peters, Rogers, Garrett, richards, Neidert, Merandy Gonzalez, Kolek maybe.

Good start when we still have Realmuto, Castro, Straily, Bour...

- - - - - - - - - -

Looking into Harrison a little more, his lesser stats in his first few years might have been in part to injuries each of his first few years in the minors and this year was finally healthy for the first time. Lets hope.

Comment

Working...
                                X