No announcement yet.

Marlins Trade Giancarlo Stanton to Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh hey it's the original "Future Hall of Famer whose contract we can't take on". That one was $152 million.

I wonder who the next one will be and what his deal will be that we simply can't afford.

It really sucks we never got the chance to add Jose Fernandez to the list.

Comment

• Jim Bowden �� ��‏
      @Jim_BowdenSXM
      21m21 minutes ago
      More
      #Marlins already have trade options for Castro....rest of their return for Stanton:Jorge Guzman: Freakish arm strength. Highest avg FB velocity in all of professional baseball (Major or Minor) plus SL avg CH. Jose Devers stays at SS high offensive potential
      Im confident in Denbo's ability to pick these guys out of his former system.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        the casual fan is also a fucking moron, so who really cares? im so sick of jeter getting shit on for stuff completely out of his control.
        Yeah but the Marlins need "those fucking morons" to help the team out by buying tickets and supporting them financially. Otherwise why do the Marlins exist ? I get it that they needed to get rid of Stanton, but I am not sure they got enough back. yes the Yankees are eating about 90% of the contract, but I at least expected 2 borderline top prospects back.....I guess we have to wait and see what they can flip Castro for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
          Yeah but the Marlins need "those fucking morons" to help the team out by buying tickets and supporting them financially. Otherwise why do the Marlins exist ? I get it that they needed to get rid of Stanton, but I am not sure they got enough back. yes the Yankees are eating about 90% of the contract, but I at least expected 2 borderline top prospects back.....I guess we have to wait and see what they can flip Castro for.
          the only time the casual supporter of this team has literally ever attended games consistently is when this team wins. they could have had 9 stantons in the lineup, if they were still under .500 every year we wouldnt have gotten any fans regardless. That is why they just need to focus on doing the rebuild right and gradually progressing to a contender and the fans will come. We'll probably have to suffer through a year or 2 of terrible attendance, but we werent exactly packing the place every night with all of these guys.

Comment

Do people really not get that any businessman would do this exact same thing? No one is taking over a business hemorrhaging money and not being successful and keeping the same pieces around.
            Yeah but can they ever get to a point where they are not hemorraging money, and still be competitive ? The fanbase here is so jaded. The Marlins no matter what they do will not be trusted. I think there is a chronic aversion a lot of South Fla has with the Marlins, and they will NEVER be embraced "completely". This cycle of firesales I think will be with the Marlins forever because the public will abandon them in the bad times....like next year, Good luck in getting a crowd of more than 10,000 to opening day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]201[/ATTACH]
              cabrera has probably had the best career of anyone who has put on a marlins jersey at one point, but i think stanton's actual marlins career was slightly better.

Comment

And honestly, does anyone really care about those guys not being around the team anymore? You're really super upset that jeff fucking conine wont be around the team anymore? It's just another thing to complain about. New owners will bring in new guys. It's how just about any business works.
                You don't get one of the biggest draws baseball is all about - HISTORY. Baseball has built itself on nostalgia - the old names are legends. For the Marlins fan, and especially the casual fans, Jeff Conine represents what little GOOD history we have and was a nostalgic look back on our history. You just dismiss him in a very ignorant and disrespectful way. Without his throw to home base in game 5 vs San Franciso, we may have only 1 WS title in our history, instead of 2. You either are too young to have known that, or are just a complete moron.

Comment

You don't get one of the biggest draws baseball is all about - HISTORY. Baseball has built itself on nostalgia - the old names are legends. For the Marlins fan, and especially the casual fans, Jeff Conine represents what little GOOD history we have and was a nostalgic look back on our history. You just dismiss him in a very ignorant and disrespectful way. Without his throw to home base in game 5 vs San Franciso, we may have only 1 WS title in our history, instead of 2. You either are too young to have known that, or are just a complete moron.
                  i was actually at that game. and it was game 4 against the giants, not game 5. we were up 2-1, that wasnt an elimination game. and i dont think any of those guys were doing anything to help attendance. nor was conine a draw on tv to improve our tv ratings. and they were among many of our front office people who helped make decisions and gave advice to compose a roster that hasnt been over .500 since 2009. and we also were paying executives who werent actually doing much way too much money.

Comment

• We might be getting another player in the Stanton deal. Talk is we are gonna take a NYY player in the Rule 5 and then send NYY "cash considerations" for his rights. I know I know not really an improvement but just saying

Like Bowden said we already have trade options for Castro-NYM,LAA,Philly. Possible Milwaukee,SD. They aren't pushing anything because they think Castro has value

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                      Jeter also don't have to pay 300 million for them
                      Yeah but if the idea is to build the system depth, you've already given up two of your assests, including the biggest one, and still not really changed the farm system. 2020 is a pipe-dream. Looks more like 2022 if you are being realistic. At least 4 years of suckiness and then they had better made the right draft choices because it doesn't look like they will spend any money on FA EVER....they are cash poor like Loria.

Man that is a long time to expect fans to be patient, especially since they haven't even had a winning team in 8 years already and no playoffs for 14 years....that is like a WHOLE generation already.....

Comment

Yeah but if the idea is to build the system depth, you've already given up two of your assests, including the biggest one, and still not really changed the farm system. 2020 is a pipe-dream. Looks more like 2022 if you are being realistic. At least 4 years of suckiness and then they had better made the right draft choices because it doesn't look like they will spend any money on FA EVER....they are cash poor like Loria.

Man that is a long time to expect fans to be patient, especially since they haven't even had a winning team in 8 years already and no playoffs for 14 years....that is like a WHOLE generation already.....
                        First, Stanton isnt our biggest asset. Best player does not equal biggest asset in baseball terms. And the farm system is drastically better now than it was before the Phelps and Ramos trades in July, and we still havent traded the guys who will give us the biggest returns in guys like Straily and Ozuna and maybe Realmuto and Yelich.

Obviously our system sucked before july anyway, but since the draft this past year to now we have added 11 different guys to our top 30 list according to Mlb.com, and that doesnt include Guzman or Devers.

Comment

Jon Heyman‏Verified account @JonHeyman ยท 48m48 minutes ago

Dodgers are said to have asked Marlins to take back some combo of overpriced deals (kaz, mccarthy, a-gon) plus pay significant $. Would have been a 75M plus offset.
                          LA issues: tax plus debt service rule in 2019. So never close to GIancarlo deal.

The funny part about the trade is the NYY deal was pretty good compared to LAD offers. Like tweet says LAD wanted 50 million plus to take back a bad contract and the prospects were alot worse than we got. The NYY deal u got 2 mid level prospects and Castro who has tons of value around the league and send 20 million less

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Maddawg View Post

Ya I hate giving up an asset in 2018 for a #3 ML SP(Neidert) in 2020. People still dont get the next 2 years mean NOTHING!!!! They are looking at 2018/2019 as lost seasons-the goal is to get players who will be ready for 2020. The draft is gonna be the same-if some 17 yr old HS kid falls to #13 we will likely pass and draft some 21 yr old guy who will take 2 years to reach the majors.

What does Guzman,Neidert,Dugger have in common?? They all should be ML ready by 2019/20

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                            The team wanted to get payroll down to 85-90 million supposedly. They felt they couldn't do that without trading Stanton, and they're probably right about that.
                            But they also have made it clear they need to make money from people attending games. How much more likely are people to come to games next year ? Are they going to raise or lower ticket prices ? Without any star figure on the team, even those few that attended to see Stanton now have ZERO incentive to go see the Marlins. And if they "plan to suck" until the (pipe dream) of 2020, they better be ready to absorb a lot more losses because they will struggle to sell suites and season tix and packages and single game seats. When the Marlins play the Brewers or Padres next year you might have just a few dozen fans in the stands....and that is no joke. Again if they need to raise revenue for their 2020 (pipe) dream team, how are they going to raise that money ? Luxury tax money alone ?

Comment

But they also have made it clear they need to make money from people attending games. How much more likely are people to come to games next year ? Are they going to raise or lower ticket prices ? Without any star figure on the team, even those few that attended to see Stanton now have ZERO incentive to go see the Marlins. And if they "plan to suck" until the (pipe dream) of 2020, they better be ready to absorb a lot more losses because they will struggle to sell suites and season tix and packages and single game seats. When the Marlins play the Brewers or Padres next year you might have just a few dozen fans in the stands....and that is no joke. Again if they need to raise revenue for their 2020 (pipe) dream team, how are they going to raise that money ? Luxury tax money alone ?
                              getting their finances straight and no longer hemorrhaging money is a good first start.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                Not positive but they have a plan for 2020. What is the point of winning 75 games for the next 2 years while paying 140 million? Pay 60 million and win 60-65 games get guys who will be ready and in 2020 increase payroll
                                But that 2020 is all predicated on being PERFECT in their drafting...because they don't seem to be casting their net on any good prospects so far in these trades. It takes more than 3 years to build. It took the Astros about 5 and the same with the Cubs. I wonder how long Jeter/Sherman will be here. I think they try to flip the Marlins in 2019 or 2020 if the plan isn't working out.

Comment

Working...
                                X