Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Great idea get the #30 pick in 2021 draft(who will be ready in 2023) instead of a 25 yr old OF u can replace Stanton with,3 prospects and a SP u could trade for more stuff that could help u in 2020. I understand Stanton is god in Miami but in reality he doesn't really wanna be here thru a rebuild which is what is gonna happen with or without him.

Stanton would take them over the top but its not like they have a hole in RF or 25 million to spend. in 2020 they will have lost Brandon McCarthy,Gonzalez,Puig which means 25 million to spend on Stanton

- - - - - - - - - -

Tyler Chatwood to Cubs for 3/38

and u wonder why Straily's market is big and Miami doesn't mind taking back a SP if needed
    First of all, you said LA isn’t currently offering those guys, that’s just what Miami wants. So the bag of garbage I mentioned wasn’t the people you just listed. Also, it’s not just whatever we get now vs a comp pick. It’s also two more years of Stanton, which isn’t nothing.

You said it yourself, though. Stanton doesn’t want to be here for the rebuild. That’s why I don’t buy the notion that he’s just sit around and wait for his opt out in two years. And that’s why, if I were the Marlins, I wouldn’t just give in.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
      You said it yourself, though. Stanton doesn’t want to be here for the rebuild. That’s why I don’t buy the notion that he’s just sit around and wait for his opt out in two years. And that’s why, if I were the Marlins, I wouldn’t just give in.
      Totally. He's just running out the clock to the winter meetings to see if anything else emerges. He knows any team acquiring him also has moves to do and he can't sit around forever. He is 100% going to San Francisco in a day or two if LAD or whoever doesn't jump in aggressively. No need of getting worked up over any hostage situation or leverage either way. He can just reasonably hold out to the winter meetings and that's it.

Comment

• lebatard show with a funny suggestion for the marlins if stanton doesnt waive the NTC. for next year we'll sign Palmeiro who somehow is looking to play again, bonds, a-rod and combine them with stanton. we'll stink regardless but that would be more interesting to watch. Jeter can be owner player too and really earn some of that 5 million salary.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
        Totally. He's just running out the clock to the winter meetings to see if anything else emerges. He knows any team acquiring him also has moves to do and he can't sit around forever. He is 100% going to San Francisco in a day or two if LAD or whoever doesn't jump in aggressively. No need of getting worked up over any hostage situation or leverage either way. He can just reasonably hold out to the winter meetings and that's it.
        i think this has been kind of mutually understood by all parties that this thing had a deadline by the start of the winter meetings and people are just getting antsy cause it's been discussed for so long.

Comment

• @craigmish and I report that a source close to Giancarlo Stanton has indicated he is inclined to accept a trade to the Dodgers or Yankees under the right circumstances #Marlins #Yankees #Dodgers
          While all the attention is on the Giants and Cardinals....the Dodgers and Yankees remain kicking the tires on Giancarlo Stanton with a chance according to a source involved in the process
          https://twitter.com/jim_bowdensxm/st...85298943385601

Swifty mentioned this months ago. Props to him. So yea hopefully they keep G and Yelich and sell everyone else.

- - - - - - - - - -

Now told Stanton will approve :

Dodgers
          Yankees
          Cubs
          Astros
          Cardinals and Giants not on Stanton's approval. Unclear if either or both teams have been told anything to this point.
          https://twitter.com/craigmish/status/938992764456275969
          "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
          - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• PLEASE GOD NOT THE YANKEES

*emotional (not tactical) take

Comment

• So that throws a wrench into everything. Yankees have a great farm system but they haven’t shown any willingness to want to add his salary. Astros would be a great trade partner if they are willing to add his salary.

Comment

• Keep him

he’ll be begging for a trade anywhere by May
                Originally posted by Madman81
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• So is this just a leverage thing or is it that he's basically turned down the only two clubs that have made offers?

Comment

• Seems like a last ditch effort to try and get LA to jump in before the Winter Meetings start. I mean Stanton can just wait it out I guess, but he knows there are limited teams that can pay him. If those teams move on and acquire other players, he could get stuck.
                    Last edited by fauowls44; 12-08-2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                      Seems like a last ditch effort to try and get LA to jump in before the Winter Meetings start. I mean Stanton can just wait it out I guess, but he knows there are limited teams that can pay him. If those teams move on and acquire other players, he could get stuck.
                      This is exactly what I thought. He knows the Cubs and Astros aren't making the move, and the Yankees probably aren't either. It's a tactic to buy more time for the Dodgers. This is being sold as him wanting to play on a winning team, and that geography doesn't matter, but I don't buy that. If that were the case, he'd take the trade to St. Louis. I just really hope the Marlins don't take the bait here. If you don't get a real return on him, keep him. I'm not confident that they'll take that stand, but I hope they do.

Comment

• #KeepHim

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                          This is exactly what I thought. He knows the Cubs and Astros aren't making the move, and the Yankees probably aren't either. It's a tactic to buy more time for the Dodgers. This is being sold as him wanting to play on a winning team, and that geography doesn't matter, but I don't buy that. If that were the case, he'd take the trade to St. Louis. I just really hope the Marlins don't take the bait here. If you don't get a real return on him, keep him. I'm not confident that they'll take that stand, but I hope they do.
                          who is selling it like that? san francisco, LA, NYC, st. louis - one of these things doesn't belong.

Comment

• Do not, I repeat, do not trade him for pennies on the dollar because he is forcing his way to a particular team. Trade everyone else and keep him until he gets tired of losing and expands his trade list or just keep him until he opts out in a few years

Comment

• it's absolutely his right to force his way to a certain team. i think some people are overreacting at how supposedly awful it would be to get "stuck" in miami.

there also seems to be some thought that if they don't trade him now, he's stuck for good. i don't see it. i also think the notion that giancarlo is under some sort of pressure here is also silly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                                it's absolutely his right to force his way to a certain team. i think some people are overreacting at how supposedly awful it would be to get "stuck" in miami.

there also seems to be some thought that if they don't trade him now, he's stuck for good. i don't see it. i also think the notion that giancarlo is under some sort of pressure here is also silly.
                                Oh I agree. The only pressure he is under is his own desire to be on a winning team. He seems fed up with losing and they are trying to send him to winning organizations. It’s probably mutually beneficial at this point for him to be traded.

Comment

Working...
                                X