No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "...most of the Giants' best prospects are complimentary pieces who are best served as sidekicks to cornerstone players."

Not very encouraging if Ramos, who is 3-4 years away, is the only high impact player in the system.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      Marlins replacing Rich Waltz, Preston Wilson, and Conine from the broadcast. Conine and Wilson are fine, but i hate the Waltz move. He was great and it will be weird watching marlins games without him.
      Yeah, Wilson and Conine I won't miss that much, but not having Rich will be really strange. I wonder who will replace him? I had no idea he did other broadcasts/sports in the offseason.

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      couldnt really stand hollandsworth. gas bag.

- - - - - - - - - -

how do they clean house but leave Jessica Blaylock still?
      I liked Hollandsworth - certainly better than Eduardo Perez and the other people the season before this last one. But why get rid of Rich?

And yeah that's ridiculous - she's terrible, why'd they keep her? Hey guys, I have a hard hitting report on what kind of sprinkles the players like on their ice cream!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
        "...most of the Giants' best prospects are complimentary pieces who are best served as sidekicks to cornerstone players."

Not very encouraging if Ramos, who is 3-4 years away, is the only high impact player in the system.
        Exactly why they haven't made the deal yet and SF is trying to trade Cueto or others for more.

Heliot Ramos is their #1 Prospect and should have been the AZL MVP at 17. He is likely 3 years away but is a 5 tool impact type. Beede is #4/5 SP at best and Shaw/Arroyo are ML types but nothing great. Shaw is a Bour clone who can play the corner OF's maybe and Arroyo can hit .300 as a 2B but no other tools

Comment

• If we trade Stanton/Gordon to the Giants and don’t get Heliot Ramos back I will at least consider becoming a fan of the Giants (I was born in California so it wouldn’t be that crazy).

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            If we trade Stanton/Gordon to the Giants and don’t get Heliot Ramos back I will at least consider becoming a fan of the Giants (I was born in California so it wouldn’t be that crazy).
            Minimum they will take is Ramos and 2 prospects(Beede,Shaw,Arroyo) for Stanton which they can get right now. They are shooting for more which could include Panik,another young ML ready player,prospects. They really have till Dec 10 to figure it all out so no real rush,they are hoping he will come around to St Louis/Boston or LAD comes back with a nice offer. Dec 11 the Winter Meetings start and they wanna be able to make more moves then(Gordon,Ozuna,Straily,Bour)
            Last edited by tjfla; 11-22-2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• so today's news has been that the new owners are already seeking more investors and they forced fox to shitcan waltz.

we are also going to trade our mvp for trash and additionally trim payroll even further.

not sure how on board i am with this rebuild. the light at the end of the tunnel was always the departure of loria, but these cunts don't have any money either.

Comment

• I don’t think it’s new news that the ownership group is still courting investors. That’s been the case since they won the bid. That in and of itself is not an issue. I have no problem with them trying to add more money to the group.

The investment pitch is the more interesting part of the story. It basically outlines what we already knew...Loria left a giant mess to clean up.
                Last edited by fauowls44; 11-22-2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• the leaked document of their pitch to investors is new news to me and confirms their plans, which suck

Comment

• Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                    the leaked document of their pitch to investors is new news to me and confirms their plans, which suck
                    What’s new about it? I distinctly remember Manfred commenting on them still looking for additional investors after it was announced they won the bid. As for the actual contents of the documents, there’s nothing in their that I disagree with. It outlines that Loria ran the team into the ground on and off the field.

Comment

• bullet point by bullet point:

significantly improve ticket sales and turnstile attendance
                      -with a losing team in miami and after trading away the mvp? lol, right

pursue and execute on a new local tv deal - significantly more lucrative

-not sure how lucrative a tv deal is going to be in the cord-cutting, rsn-failure era for a team with shit ratings in the first place

capitalize on advertising and sponsorship opportunities - naming rights...major opportunities throughout the interior of the ballpark
                      -always a good look when you need to go roger dorn on the ballpark to squeeze out a few extra bucks

non-baseball event revenue opportunities - a major opportunity

-hey, i forgot to even comment on this one originally. major opportunities for non-core activities? really? hey, y'all - 5 bucks at the door, come in to the marlins tent fest! fuck outta here.

player payroll discipline
                      -yeah, been there, done that

for a team that's supposedly losing 60+ million bucks a year and that needs to trim payroll to 90m for the next 2 years, does anyone see significant enough revenue in here to ever think we won't be a bottom 5 revenue team? i don't.
                      Last edited by Madman81; 11-22-2017, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• Player Payroll Discipline

A new name for Market Correction!

This is fucking depressing, man.

Comment

• Get Mas involved.

Comment

• I thought those leaked plans were a positive. It showed a team who has actual awareness of their complete lack of popularity from the previous ownership in relation to their community. This team needs an overhaul as far as harboring relationships with the community and earning the trust of sponsors and other partners. I think it is a positive that we actually can see that this is a concrete part of their plan. It's not gonna happen overnight, but I think you saw with the WBC last year that there is a baseball market down here, and its about an ownership who is finally willing to go all out to court that market.

I think it will take a few years, but I think Derek Jeter is capable of building a culture within this organization and a trust within the community that will make this not even a good franchise, just not a complete trainwreck like we have been since Loria took over.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                              Get Mas involved.
                              No chance-Jeter wants 100% power and Mas has already said if he puts in cash he wants power. This is why the Mas/Jeter group never happened and why when Sherman asked Mas like 2 months ago Jeter was crying

Joel Sherman had a good name for the document "The Former Owners Were Idiots, We Are Going To Do Better."

This group/Jeter has a plan at least however it won't be near completion till 2020/21.

- - - - - - - - - -

One positive piece of news is Miami has interest in trying to get more IFA Pool Space in trades. No clue if they will but was good to hear for once, SF and St Louis both have cash and can only offer 300K per player so they have alot if we trade with them

Here is the # for 2016/17 year still
                              Rangers ($3,535,000) Otani
                              Yankees ($3,500,000) Otani
                              Twins ($3,070,000) Otani
                              Pirates ($2,266,750)
                              Giants ($1,835,000)*
                              Mariners ($1,557,500) Otani
                              Royals ($1,505,000)*
                              Marlins ($1,490,000)
                              Cardinals ($1,247,500)*
                              Braves ($1,210,000)*

*Teams that exceeded their bonus pool under previous CBA and cannot sign a player for more than $300K

- - - - - - - - - -

Probably NOT for Otani but how crazy would it be if we traded Stanton to SF got IFA $ in a deal and have $3,325,000 to offer him!!! Like said no chance at Otani(he wants AL) but wouldn't mind having that much cash to spend on the 15 guys on the market right now. Trade Stanton and get 5-7 players out of the deal
                              Last edited by tjfla; 11-23-2017, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                No chance-Jeter wants 100% power and Mas has already said if he puts in cash he wants power. This is why the Mas/Jeter group never happened and why when Sherman asked Mas like 2 months ago Jeter was crying

Joel Sherman had a good name for the document "The Former Owners Were Idiots, We Are Going To Do Better."

This group/Jeter has a plan at least however it won't be near completion till 2020/21.

- - - - - - - - - -

One positive piece of news is Miami has interest in trying to get more IFA Pool Space in trades. No clue if they will but was good to hear for once, SF and St Louis both have cash and can only offer 300K per player so they have alot if we trade with them

Here is the # for 2016/17 year still
                                Rangers ($3,535,000) Otani
                                Yankees ($3,500,000) Otani
                                Twins ($3,070,000) Otani
                                Pirates ($2,266,750)
                                Giants ($1,835,000)*
                                Mariners ($1,557,500) Otani
                                Royals ($1,505,000)*
                                Marlins ($1,490,000)
                                Cardinals ($1,247,500)*
                                Braves ($1,210,000)*

*Teams that exceeded their bonus pool under previous CBA and cannot sign a player for more than $300K

- - - - - - - - - -

Probably NOT for Otani but how crazy would it be if we traded Stanton to SF got IFA $ in a deal and have $3,325,000 to offer him!!! Like said no chance at Otani(he wants AL) but wouldn't mind having that much cash to spend on the 15 guys on the market right now. Trade Stanton and get 5-7 players out of the deal
                                I know. But it'd be nice to have some money injected to the team.

Trying to get more IFA pool money when we just traded some away to the Yankees just the other day?

Comment

Working...
                                X