Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wouldn't be a Marlins team without going and getting a pitcher with more walks than strikeouts.

Comment

• this thing where that one guy says Ozuna's personality will definitely clash with Mattingly is interesting.
      poop

Comment

• I've never cared this little about pro baseball in my life.

Thanks, Jeff.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
          Wouldn't be a Marlins team without going and getting a pitcher with more walks than strikeouts.
          I'll start this by saying I don't mind Chi Chi. Marketability being a South Florida kid, former top 30 prospect and a 3.90 ERA at 23 years old isn't bad.

But it is amazing that we keep going after pitchers that don't strike out anybody and suffer from high walk totals. I feel like they're looking for guys who put the ball on the ground, but we literally just released the guy that I hope Gonzalez could grow into becoming.

The whole offseason has been a waste of time honestly. Edwin Jackson is a good bullpen arm for most teams this offseason, but for us he'll be our #2 starter. I think the only other major league move we've made is re-signing Mathis (which I'm amazed we're going to reach year 4 of Mathis...I just have no words how he's able to maintain a major league career hitting worse than most pitchers). We're about to trade Ozuna and create an unnecessary hole in the outfield that will be filled by another infielder pretending to play the outfield and a legend well past his prime. On top of that we're going into the season with Fernandez, who likely hates everything our team stands for at the moment, and we'll waste another year of his career on a 70 win team.

The goal this season should've been to either go in and spend on two bigger named starting pitchers or blow up the team again. This is going to be year 4 of the current core, and the pitching core we've drafted/acquired over the years has been traded (Disco/Eovaldi/Heaney/etc...) while the starting lineup isn't nearly good enough to make up for the huge flaws in the rotation. This standing middle ground crap is just a waste of a season. It'll literally be wasting four months before deciding to blow up parts of the team again at the deadline. This current rotation has absolutely no chance of competing unless Cosart or Nicolino absolutely outplay their peripherals (I believe both guys should likely be low 4 ERA guys).

We've got nobody in the minors with even a chance at being a contributor in the majors, we've got a flawed major league squad. I haven't been this disappointed going into a a season since 2013.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            It hurts his value because just say him and Mattingly get into it then what? U gonna send him down to AAA and just gonna give him away? If Jeff had it his way Ozuna would have still been in NOLA in September-this is one reason why DJ and him got into it. DJ wanted to play Ozuna and Jeff wanted to keep him in the minors.

As for his value right now,the Seattle deal they were talking about a few months ago tells u what teams think. Seattle offered Roenis Elias and Trumbo while we countered with Walker.

People dont realize Jeff literally hates the kid and with Ozuna have the reputation as Puig Jr,do u think Mattingly is gonna like him too? Mattingly hated Puig and his antics. Mattingly loved Joc and Scott Van Slyke
            So the Marlins are going to sell low once again because Jeff doesn't like Ozuna? Cool.

Comment

• 12 teams are bigger underdogs to win the World Series than Miami.

That is mildly shocking.

Comment

• Because Mattingly didn't like Puig (supposedly), that also means that he's not going to like Ozuna?

Reminds me of when we got Bonifacio and some on mb.com thought he'd become the next Luis Castillo because...well, you know.

Comment

• Yeah tj keeps spouting that line, it's based on nothing.

Comment

• Also, there have been several Ozuna/Loria rumors so I'm sure there's some truth to it that Loria is probably disappointed with Ozuna's work ethic, but what the Marlins did to Ozuna last year has been completely overblown by the media just because it's the Marlins. If any other organization did such a thing, it wouldn't have been a big deal. He was sent down due to poor performance and his stay in the minors was extended to, yes, save dollars, but also because the season was already lost. It was a smart business decision.

Ozuna was absolutely awful in the 1st half so there was a legitimate reason for the demotion. Loria is being entirely blamed for this when, for all we know, it could just be the whole organization that feels this way. If they were making a deal simply out of hatred, I'm sure it would've been done already, especially since this front office has a track record for getting deals done very quickly.

It seems like the team just wants to make a baseball trade to get a pitcher for an OF'er because they feel like Dietrich can handle LF based on what he did last season in limited time offensively. I think they're wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time they've been wrong. This is the same organization that felt Logan Morrison was a capable LF'er so maybe they just don't know what they're doing, hatred aside. Plus, wasn't the hot rumor not so long ago that Dietrich was definitely on the way out? Because Loria hated him after Tino? Funny how that narrative quickly changed.

Major league organizations probably don't base their decisions on childish feelings.

Comment

• Would you consider the Marlins FO a major league organization?

And I'm not sure how Dietrich is a good example. He languished in AAA forever, and only got PT due to injuries. Don't act like they're trading Ozuna to make room for Dietrich either, they're making room for Ichiro's run towards 3000 hits, let's not kid ourselves.

Anyway you look at it, whether their feelings towards Ozuna are justified or not, I don't know, they've certainly gone out of their way to alienate Scott Boras in this past year.
                      Last edited by Nick; 01-07-2016, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• Our LFer's since Conine in 2004 and what they played in the minors before we put them in the OF in the majors:

2005: Miguel Cabrera (SS/3B)
                        2006-2008: Hammer (C)
                        2009-2010: Coghlan (2B)
                        2011-2012: Morrison (1B)
                        2013-2015: Yelich (OF!)
                        2016: Dietrich (2B)

And they've been really, really bad outside of Yelich

It's ridiculous. They need to stop treating it as a spot as somewhere you can just stick someone without any experience what-so-ever

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                          Also, there have been several Ozuna/Loria rumors so I'm sure there's some truth to it that Loria is probably disappointed with Ozuna's work ethic, but what the Marlins did to Ozuna last year has been completely overblown by the media just because it's the Marlins. If any other organization did such a thing, it wouldn't have been a big deal. He was sent down due to poor performance and his stay in the minors was extended to, yes, save dollars, but also because the season was already lost. It was a smart business decision.

Ozuna was absolutely awful in the 1st half so there was a legitimate reason for the demotion. Loria is being entirely blamed for this when, for all we know, it could just be the whole organization that feels this way. If they were making a deal simply out of hatred, I'm sure it would've been done already, especially since this front office has a track record for getting deals done very quickly.

It seems like the team just wants to make a baseball trade to get a pitcher for an OF'er because they feel like Dietrich can handle LF based on what he did last season in limited time offensively. I think they're wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time they've been wrong. This is the same organization that felt Logan Morrison was a capable LF'er so maybe they just don't know what they're doing, hatred aside. Plus, wasn't the hot rumor not so long ago that Dietrich was definitely on the way out? Because Loria hated him after Tino? Funny how that narrative quickly changed.

Major league organizations probably don't base their decisions on childish feelings.

Imagine caring about the Marlins enough to think this through and punch it out on a keypad.

Comment

• that's a hugg answer if i've ever heard one
                            Originally posted by Madman81
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                              Also, there have been several Ozuna/Loria rumors so I'm sure there's some truth to it that Loria is probably disappointed with Ozuna's work ethic, but what the Marlins did to Ozuna last year has been completely overblown by the media just because it's the Marlins. If any other organization did such a thing, it wouldn't have been a big deal. He was sent down due to poor performance and his stay in the minors was extended to, yes, save dollars, but also because the season was already lost. It was a smart business decision.
                              A "smart business decision" and "something worthy of derision by impartial observers" are not necessarily separate things.
                              poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                                A "smart business decision" and "something worthy of derision by impartial observers" are not necessarily separate things.
                                It's happened before with other teams. The fact the Marlins did it made it a story.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                                Imagine caring about the Marlins enough to think this through and punch it out on a keypad.
                                Good point

Comment

Working...
                                X