Marlins Sign Rafael Furcal to One-year Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
    I mean it's a little bit more money than I would like, but why not? Maybe he has a great bounce-back season and we trade him at the deadline.
    That's highly unlikely.

Comment

I dislike the deal. We're not a playoff team next year, so give Dietrich the start of next season at 2B to see if he can be a consistent hitter. He showed good signs his rookie season, he just needed time to get that consistency going. In my opinion, putting Furcal at 2B just wastes at bats that we could be using to test a guy who might actually be able to contribute to the team in the future.

But it's one year, so whatever. We needed a 3rd baseman more than we needed a 2nd baseman (although knowing Loria and Co. they're plan was to start Solano over Dietrich anyway).

Comment

Dietrich might get a shot to play 3B for what it's worth.

Comment

I don't see how this is different than signing Polanco last year. I'd rather give Solano the PT.

Comment

I like the deal. This keeps solano as a reserve player. One might think now that Dietrich will get first priority at third. I think his projected split line would fit in well at third. Also this signing gives us a backup plan to Hech for next season, something I think is necessary. Now Hech can be tested much like Brantley was this season.
            --------------------
            Lomo trade next move?
            Last edited by BigGameFish; 12-05-2013, 09:54 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
            STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

It would be better if they used Furcal as a starter against left-handed pitching/option as a backup SS which was something they didn't really have last year for much of the year. But instead we'll probably get to watch him play every day for some reason.

Comment

I like Dietrich's value as a 2B more than as a 3B. His defense would very likely be better at 2B as well.

We lacked any semblance of power last season, and Dietrich was one of the few guys with gap power from the starting lineup last season. I'm not saying Dietrich was bound for a 20 HR season, but c'mon. Furcal is the Juan Pierre signing all over again as far as I can see it. He hasn't played since August 2012. With next season being such a waste, I don't see the point of putting a 36 year old, one year, below average player on the field everyday when these at bats could actually go to somebody who could contribute to the team in the future, when it might actually matter.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
                  I like the deal. This keeps solano as a reserve player. One might think now that Dietrich will get first priority at third. I think his projected split line would fit in well at third. Also this signing gives us a backup plan to Hech for next season, something I think is necessary. Now Hech can be tested much like Brantley was this season.
                  --------------------
                  Lomo trade next move?
                  Honestly, trading Morrison would be dumb.

Comment

Solano has a higher OPS than Furcal in the last 2 seasons in only about 150 more ABs for Furcal. Plus 11 years younger and cheaper.

I'm no Solano fan, but this doesn't make sense of me. We have enough light hitting utility guys.
                    Last edited by Nick; 12-05-2013, 09:59 PM.

Comment

This team would be more fun if they platooned every infield position (excluding SS I guess since we live and die with Hechavarria there, unfortunately).

But seriously though, sign a cheap right-handed 1B/OF type of guy to platoon with Morrison. Platoon Dietrich/Furcal at 2B. Sign an Eric Chavez type bat and platoon him with Ed Lucas at 3B. Those platoons could provide decent enough production, and then you hope Stanton has a superstar type year and the pitching remains steady. It probably wouldn't be terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                        I like Dietrich's value as a 2B more than as a 3B. His defense would very likely be better at 2B as well.
                        I actually think he's more of a natural third baseman defensively.

I'm okay with this signing. Desite what they've said about everyday 2nd baseman, I bet he's more Hech insurance than anything. He was pretty much forced to stay up even as an awful player because we had Chris Valaika and Ed Lucas behind him. Now we have a somewhat more viable alternative if (when) Hech struggles again.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have a Dietrich Furcal Solano Morrison IF come mid-June.

Comment

Only way Hechavarria plays less than 145 games in 2014 is injury.

You forget that they think he's Omar Vizquel defensively.

He's a 4.5 MWRV* player

*Marlins warped reality value

Comment

I'm pretty sure he sees a trip to Nawlins at some point, especially if we're hanging around 500-ish come summer.

This FO LOVED Boner too, but still benched him when it became obvious that we were in contention and he was not an asset.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                              if we're hanging around 500-ish come summer.
                              oh.

lets talk about what we'd buy if we won the lottery next
                              --------------------
                              ugh, that was like a less snarky version of a daft post, I feel bad now
                              Last edited by HUGG; 12-05-2013, 10:34 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

That isn't that crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X