No announcement yet.

Winter Meetings 2012 (Miami Marlins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saying that, I figured out how the Marlins can win back everyone in 1 move.

Sign Stanton. But sign him outrageously front loaded.

Give him $7/80, which is fair (and probably wouldnt even need to be that much with investment potential, no state income, being front loaded), however do something like this:

2013 - $15 million
    2014 - $35 million
    2015 - $10 million
    2016 - $8 million
    2017 - $5 million
    2018 - $5 million
    2019 - $2 million

On the field - you are paying Stanton when the rest of the team is club controlled and no other serious contracts are on the book, you are still bottom 3 in payroll 2013-2014, and you are then paying Stanton chump change in "contending" years to sign an extra huge free agent with the money you already paid to Stanton (let alone the other $50 million in payroll to get back to 2012 levels). The biggest asset of this organization right now is payroll flexibility, so use it. This would be brilliant to pay him while not contending.

MLB - Immediately gets off your back because your payroll commitment goes up huge and immediately reinvested 80% of Reyes money, which is a start

Samson - gets to say to media, "if we didnt intend to keep him, why are we paying him on the front." There accordingly will be a press conference with this signing saying we are doing this strategically to keep payroll as low as possible for free agency in 2015 and 2016 to add players while Stanton is cheap and kids get feets wet

Stanton - gets paid, and paid up front, and a free agent before 30

fan base - shown they are keeping stanton, have a plan (pay now, buy free agents when yelich/fernandez/etc feet wet), and stick with the team and this is the new day 1

if it doesnt work out - the marlins could surely trade stanton after 2015 for the biggest package known to man with 4/$20 as payroll obligation, and probably recoup millions paid out already as who wouldnt want stanton for even even 4/$60.

If they did that, I bet it's a total 180 for the organization and they would be the coolest.

My expectations are this does not even remotely happen.
    Last edited by lou; 12-03-2012, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omar View Post
      Link?
      Common sense.
      --------------------
      edit: what lou said
      Last edited by Ramp; 12-03-2012, 12:30 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

The 2 Big Questions are this #1 Does Stanton wanna play here? Right now it sounds like NO and if he doesn't you gotta start looking at deals eventually and #2 How crazy of a package would a team throw out for him? If Texas calls and offers Profar,Perez,Olt and Buckel or Seattle calls and offers Zunino,Franklin,Walker,? and Capps how the hell do u say NO??

Each 1 of those deals gives u at least 4 guys who could be on the ML Roster in 2014 and at spots we can use it. Texas-SS(Hech to 2B),SP,3B,RP/SP and Seattle-C/1B,2B,SP,?,RP Plus if Ozuna hit .280 and more than 20 HR at AA he could easily take Stanton's spot in RF(Big Downgrade but still we would have someone ready)

I would extend him fast but we all know how much Loria and the FO loves young cheap guys

Comment

Zunino would be good for the board

Comment

I love the fact that the Marlins would be looking for a catcher from Seattle.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
              I love the fact that the Marlins would be looking for a catcher from Seattle.
              Well think it would have to do more with a big power bat than him being a catcher.Plus the FO had a hardon for him during the draft,it was well known that if he had fallen like Appel did we would have picked him no matter what
              Last edited by tjfla; 12-03-2012, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandroimbuto
                Has anything like this ever been done in MLB?

Would be cool.
                To my knowledge, no.

No team has ever had the "gift" of this low of a payroll and a generational type player pre-arbitration (i.e. so he is 'forced' to sign) to do something so outrageous of paying a guy the bulk of a contract in 2-3 years during non contending years in anticipation of having more money to spend during contending ones.

My opinion of these clowns would change dramatically if they did a massive unheard of front load to anticipate contending teams the final 5 years of a deal with Stanton.

It works on every level. On field, off field PR, saving money versus taking him to arbitration, getting free agency years, stanton is happy that the organization is doing something and isn't just pocketing revenue share. Everything.

Comment

I hope that "interested in a reliever for 2-3 years at 5-7 million" thing is not true.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                    I hope that "interested in a reliever for 2-3 years at 5-7 million" thing is not true.
                    There's no way they do that.

Although I can see them signing someone like Brian Wilson for 1/$5 incentives with an eye of trading at deadline.

This offseason is all about July trade assets.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                      There's no way they do that.

Although I can see them signing someone like Brian Wilson for 1/$5 incentives with an eye of trading at deadline.

This offseason is all about July trade assets.
                      I'd be for that

Comment

I think he stays in the West Coast where he belongs.

I'd like to see what Cishek does with a full season as closer.

I think the only position I'd like to see an upgrade would be 2B, LF/CF (depending on where Ruggiano plays) and SP.

I would not mind Jeff Keppinger at 2B.

The Nats are said to be shopping Morse and Espinosa. Not sure what their value is on the market, but those names are definitely intriguing.

Pavano is a name that has been mentioned as a SP option. I do not mind having Pavano as long as we don't overpay. Javy Vasquez is another name to possibly watch.

I am also hoping they get rid of Nolasco. I've been waiting for that day to come.

Comment

I'd like to see Cishek not close so he doesn't rack up saves for arbitration.

He's a near lock for super2. Gonna get expensive fast.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                            I'd like to see Cishek not close so he doesn't rack up saves for arbitration.

He's a near lock for super2. Gonna get expensive fast.
                            Would probably raise his trade value though.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                              The Marlins are interested in Mark DeRosa.
                              OMG I hope that is a joke. I thought he retired 2 or 3 years ago Is he still around ?
                              --------------------
                              Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                              The thing that really gets to me is Samson publicly saying that as soon as the ballpark was completed they would talk to Stanton about an extension. As far as I'm concerned, they haven't even approached Stanton.
                              They have said a lot of things. It's your fault if you believe them.
                              Last edited by oakelmpine; 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Mike Morse at $7mil (FA in 2014) certainly would be interesting

Comment

Working...
                                X