Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
    the Latos trade was good.
    I can't say that with any confidence. It's really meh. So far this year, Latos and DeSclafani are pretty much equal. There's reasons to worry about Latos at the time of the trade. There was reasons to be optimistic about DeSclafani. If they made the trade with the intention of extending Latos, you can argue it's a good trade much easier but the Marlins probably won't even offer him a contract and will leave a hole in the rotation that would have been DeSclafani's spot. I get the trade; it's just not an oh that was a great idea at the time when considering all things.

Comment

Disco was likely not viewed as a started but rather a reliever, and we also get draft pick compensation with Latos.

Also, I believe we didn't get any money back in that deal. But that was the bad part of both the dodgers and Yankees trade, basically just trading prospects for $$$

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
        Disco was likely not viewed as a started but rather a reliever, and we also get draft pick compensation with Latos.

Also, I believe we didn't get any money back in that deal. But that was the bad part of both the dodgers and Yankees trade, basically just trading prospects for $$$
        There was a growing crowd, at the time of the trade, that did believe Desco could be a backend starter. Obviously the Reds were among that crowd. I still believe it was a good trade at the time though.

Comment

We would have to offer him a contract for the draft pick which isn't necessarily a guarantee with these clowns. Reds wouldn't make the trade if they viewed Disco as a reliever so it raises the question how good is the FO at evaluating talent?

The only prospect involved in the Yankees trade was Domingo German a 22 year old who hasn't made it to A+ ball. That is far from comparable to the dodgers trade.

- - - - - - - - - -

I believe it's a good trade if you plan to extend Latos.

Comment

Dan Jennings Era Begins with a 13 Inning Loss to Diamondbacks, 2-3

Domingo German is a solid prospect. Just under Nicolino and Urena.

And we'll learn how good they were at evaluating disco later. Very early to say one way or the other atm.

And I don't see how they don't offer him arbitration. It's not like the FO has a history of not doing that. Look at how many picks we had in the 05 draft. It's just rare because rarely do we have a chance to offer because we trade everyone first

Comment

I think it's naive to think Latos will still be here if we're still playing shitty ball in July.
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

And we'll learn how good they were at evaluating disco later. Very early to say one way or the other atm.

And I don't see how they don't offer him arbitration. It's not like the FO has a history of not doing that. Look at how many picks we had in the 05 draft. It's just rare because rarely do we have a chance to offer because we trade everyone first
                05 draft was 10 years ago.

Nicolino and Urena have back-end of the rotation ceiling. Losing German isn't going to do anything to this team in the near future. He also had TJ surgery this spring so won't see AA until he's 25

Comment

SHOULD'VE SIGNED KROD! #hindsight

Edit: Unrelated, but Ramos with his stuff sort of reminds me of KRod. I think that's a good comparison for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                    SHOULD'VE SIGNED KROD! #hindsight

Edit: Unrelated, but Ramos with his stuff sort of reminds me of KRod. I think that's a good comparison for him.
                    K-Rod hasn't had a WAR above 1 since 2011, he had a negative WAR last year and he has a contract worth $26 million. He's exactly what this team needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                      K-Rod hasn't had a WAR above 1 since 2011, he had a negative WAR last year and he has a contract worth $26 million. He's exactly what this team needed.
                      I wasn't being serious though...

Comment

Isn't arbitration over $14M for one year? If Latos implodes in the second half or gets hurt, that's a risk to offer him that.

Comment

Yeah, I think it's nuts to say the Latos for DeSclafani trade wasn't good at the time. Absolutely nuts. And he hasn't really done anything to make that look different.
                          poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                            Yeah, I think it's nuts to say the Latos for DeSclafani trade wasn't good at the time. Absolutely nuts. And he hasn't really done anything to make that look different.
                            If they let him walk and don't get a pick, it's a bad trade. mk7 is probably right he won't be here in August.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                              05 draft was 10 years ago.

Nicolino and Urena have back-end of the rotation ceiling. Losing German isn't going to do anything to this team in the near future. He also had TJ surgery this spring so won't see AA until he's 25
                              And 10 years ago was the last time the organization had a player walking in free agency that'd be compensation eligible.

And just so we're clear: you're fine trading prospects for money?

I mean, he's regarded similar to those we gave up in the Dodgers trade (outside of Heaney, but he was definitely for Gordon - not cash), so I don't see how you can have issue with trading prospects for $ to the dodgers but not prospects for $ to the yankees.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                              Isn't arbitration over $14M for one year? If Latos implodes in the second half or gets hurt, that's a risk to offer him that.
                              Is it a set number now? I haven't payed much attention to the rule changes over the past few years.

With his youth and track record, I don't see him having any problem getting a good multi year deal unless he gets injured (and that is a bigger risk for him coming off an injured year, but that risk goes for every player).

Comment

And 10 years ago was the last time the organization had a player walking in free agency that'd be compensation eligible.

And just so we're clear: you're fine trading prospects for money?

I mean, he's regarded similar to those we gave up in the Dodgers trade (outside of Heaney, but he was definitely for Gordon - not cash), so I don't see how you can have issue with trading prospects for $ to the dodgers but not prospects for $ to the yankees.
                                The players in the dodgers trade were much closer to the majors. German was 3 years away best case scenario whereas everyone in the dodgers deal were a year or less. I don't know how you're breaking this trade down so care to explain
                                German, Jones, and Eovaldi for Prado, Phelps and $6 million.
                                I think I'd make that trade without the $6 million. Jones was misused here and we have Bour who is a similar player (probably better) at the minimum. Prado's a 2 WAR player at $10 million a year and filled a hole that would have most likely lost games if left unaddressed. Phelps is cheaper than Eovaldi and probably a push for production.

Comment

Working...
                                X