No announcement yet.

Marlins acquire Prado & Phelps from the Yankees for Eovaldi, Jones and German

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like this trade. Hate giving up German and I feel like the Marlins are trading every Marlins minor leaguer I've touted as being underrated at the moment (German/Barnes/Wallach just to name a few), but he's 22 years old in A ball so I'm not crying a river we traded him for a 3rd baseman who is capable of posting a 5 WAR season. Our defense just improved greatly at the position, and while it feels like trading Eovaldi at a little low value I don't see how his trade value gets any better pitching at Yankee Stadium. If he's giving up .282 batting averages to hitters at Marlins Park, he'll end up getting DFA'd before the year ends at Yankee Stadium if he pitches like 2014 and not 2013 Eovaldi.

Anyway this trade has to signal a McGehee trade. His value, outside of the trade deadline this past season, will never be higher. Use him to try and recoup even a modicum of pitching depth in our minors. Grab one or two arms from a teams single A or AA affiliate with decent upside and call it a day. Our team in the majors is for the most part complete (although the back end of the starting rotation is a bit scary) so we should use our last real current trade piece to try to fill back a little of that minor league pitching depth. There's basically no real hitters left above Jupiter so it's whatever in that sense.

Comment

quickest JCR contradiction I've ever seen
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
        If Morse goes down, you're comfortable having Baker hit everyday?
        If any of our 4 IF go down (1b/2b/3b/ss), Dietrich should be starting.

I'm with Lou in that you put Dietrich in AAA to get all the PA you can. But if there's an injury, he's your starter.
        --------------------
        Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
        in his career (see above post) he's still (marginally) better vs. RHP

Also he drastically changed his approach last season. He's due for regression but not to the point where all of a sudden after hitting righties pretty well his whole career he suddenly stops
        Except he's going to regress so bad, he'snot going to hit anyone well. When his BABIP goes back to earth, he's going to be terribad (see: his second half)
        --------------------
        Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
        I can't believe they are not gonna have Casey as their third baseman. Never thought that would happen to begin the season.
        Same. I'm so happy right now. This was almost as out of LF as the Stanton contract.
        --------------------
        Originally posted by dim View Post
        I like this trade. Hate giving up German and I feel like the Marlins are trading every Marlins minor leaguer I've touted as being underrated at the moment (German/Barnes/Wallach just to name a few), but he's 22 years old in A ball so I'm not crying a river we traded him for a 3rd baseman who is capable of posting a 5 WAR season. Our defense just improved greatly at the position, and while it feels like trading Eovaldi at a little low value I don't see how his trade value gets any better pitching at Yankee Stadium. If he's giving up .282 batting averages to hitters at Marlins Park, he'll end up getting DFA'd before the year ends at Yankee Stadium if he pitches like 2014 and not 2013 Eovaldi
        Exactly my feelings. Don't like trading low on Eovaldi, but he might go all Nolasco and Prado is a solid fucking player on a solid fucking contract so yeah, fucking nice.
        Last edited by nny; 12-19-2014, 03:21 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Yea, Dietrich should definitely be playing all 4 IF positions in AAA to start this year and immediate heavy side of platoon starter if one of the 4 get hurt.

I feel they are a #3 SP and solid 4th OF away from having a really really killer team on paper. Kennedy and Venable make to much sense from SD right now, and they kind of line up great with McGehee and Haren to make something like that happen throwing in some more arms. Cost neutral, big free agent purge next offseason so nothing impacts books longterm.

Comment

I think Shields is a pipe dream guys.

Comment

@clarkspencer: Are #marlins preparing to trade McGehee or flip Prado? Something's got to give at 3b.
              Twitter

Can't see why they'd flip Prado but they are in love with McGehee so I doubt they trade him.
              --------------------
              @Ken_Rosenthal: Source: #SFGiants talking to #Marlins about 3B Casey McGehee. Hunter Strickland, Matt Duffy among SF players under discussion.
              Twitter
              Last edited by Big Z; 12-19-2014, 04:47 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                I think Shields is a pipe dream guys.
                Things I've said are a pipe dream since the season ended.

1. Signing Stanton
                2. Anybody but McGehee starting at 3B

All bets are off now.

Comment

Dan Jennings, Executive of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                    Same. I'm so happy right now. This was almost as out of LF as the Stanton contract.
                    You mean out of RF
                    CSBC Commish

Comment

• Originally posted by PitchingWinsGames View Post
                      You mean out of RF
                      No. You just came out of RF
                      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• I'm more a bullpen kinda guy
                        CSBC Commish

Comment

• What does a moderator do?

Comment

• Wow everyone coming out of the woodwork.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
                              What does a moderator do?
                              Moderates

Comment

• I was going to go with nothing of significance
                                CSBC Commish

Comment

Working...
                                X