Trade Deadline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lou View Post
    I think it's about maximizing value. .369 BABIP. What is he going to look like batting .260 with 2 HR? They can replace that easily. If they can get a good minor league arm (comparatively speaking, I would say a Conley/Urena type guy or better), I think it's a no brainer.
    To be fair, his talent level is probably a lot better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
      They could probably get a 2B if they decide to trade Cishek which seems to be a popular rumor at this point.
      They should probably go for 1B/SS instead of 2B, at least there is hope at 2B with Dietrich and Romero, and to a lesser extent Barnes and Realmuto (who I imagine are both athletic enough to handle it if they move them full time off catcher). But really any infielder besides C or 3B would be appreciated.

Henderson Alvarez has the same WAR as Dietrich, Hech, and Jones as a position player (i.e. no pitching) in 46 PA.
      --------------------
      To be fair, his talent level is probably a lot better than that.
      Sure, but does .260 and 7 HR at the all star break change the equation?

I mean, total sell high here even. Great signing by them in the offseason, now do the smart thing and cash in.
      Last edited by lou; 07-21-2014, 05:41 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I've lost hope that we'll acquire a SS because Hechavarria is probably going to be here for a very long time. They praised him last year when he sucked so I highly doubt they like him less now that his batting average is 40+ points higher.

Comment

I think it's about maximizing value. .369 BABIP. What is he going to look like batting .260 with 2 HR? They can replace that easily. If they can get a good minor league arm (comparatively speaking, I would say a Conley/Urena type guy or better), I think it's a no brainer.
          I don't think he'll continue to have no power. I think his career line of being a completely average hitter (~100 OPS+) is a good expectation point. So an average hitter and average fielder at 3b for ~3m is a pretty damn good deal.

I'd certainly agree with you if we had any kind of replacement for him. But we don't, and the FA market is (predictably) weak. I don't think there's any way we can upgrade 3B from him (or even come close to his average production) unless we make a big trade or sign a big FA, neither of which I expect. So I'd rather have him than a future RP/back end rotation.
          --------------------
          I've lost hope that we'll acquire a SS because Hechavarria is probably going to be here for a very long time. They praised him last year when he sucked so I highly doubt they like him less now that his batting average is 40+ points higher.
          Based off the FO's track record, I'm hoping we have one more year of him while still making the minimum.

Considering how much playing time he has, he's going to make pretty decent bank in arbitration considering how terrible he is.
          Last edited by nny; 07-21-2014, 05:50 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Apparently Milone has asked out of Oakland.
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

A source thinks that the Marlins will "alienate" Stanton by trading Cisheck.

The contract the Marlins will offer Stanton in the off-season will do plenty of alienating.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                A source thinks that the Marlins will "alienate" Stanton by trading Cisheck.

The contract the Marlins will offer Stanton in the off-season will do plenty of alienating.
                Haha! So true! #10/$25MM #wetriedhedenied #itaintourfaultdididothat

Comment

I don't get how going through a normal procedure of trading relievers that most non-contending teams do, should alienate a player. Sounds extremely LeBron James-Mike Miller sensative to me.

Comment

Haha, Cliff Lee doesn't have the fish on his blocked list of teams included in his no-trade clause.

@jcrasnick: Cliff Lee can block trades to 20 teams. He can be traded to 9 teams without his consent. #phillies http://t.co/mOb0DieJjA
                    @jcrasnick: The 9 teams are the #braves, #indians, #astros, #marlins, #twins, #mets, #padres, #rays and #nationals http://t.co/mOb0DieJjA
                    Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                      Haha, Cliff Lee doesn't have the fish on his blocked list of teams included in his no-trade clause.

Twitter
                      He has the entire rest of the NL East on that list. He can block 20 trades and is obviously counting on the fact that the Phillies wouldn't trade him in the division. Not that the Marlins are trading for him any way, but it does, in theory, give him even more leverage.
                      --------------------
                      So you would trade a productive player for a decent AA pitching prospect with no good, MLB ready replacement for him at 3rd base? I totally get the concept that you buy low and sell high, but a trade like that is crazy to me.

I'd much rather have McGehee, even if he was at .260 with 7 HR right now, manning 3rd for the next year or 2, then go back to the Lucas/Solano/whoever platoon again. Another Conley-type arm certainly isn't worth that...especially when we already have Conley. Why would we give up the only starting-caliber(and also super cheap) 3rd baseman in the organization above A-ball for an extra back-end of the rotation prospect? I just don't get the logic.
                      Last edited by fauowls44; 07-22-2014, 10:16 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                        I don't think he'll continue to have no power.
                        I guess my question is, why do you believe this?

In 2014, he has a HR/FB of 2.0, and an average flyball distance of 260 feet.
                        In 2012, he had a HR/FB of 10.2%, and an average flyball distance of 290 feet.
                        In 2011, he had a HR/FB of 8.6%. and an average flyball distance of 283 feet.

Maybe he's just a slap hitter now?
                        poop

Comment

Cause Lee knows the Marlins would never pay his contract so no point in putting them on the list

McGehee is getting calls but value wise teams are offering crap from what heard. They prefer getting a 2 yr deal done with him let him play 3B until Moran is ready then over to 1B

Cishek getting traded has nothing to do with Stanton it has more to do wth teams meeting the price. Which is said to be more than LAA paid for Street. We want either a ML Ready 2B or SP in the deal plus more which is why I mention Pitt. They have both(Glasnow not ML Ready but for us probably is),Boston has both too.

As of right now tho Mike Dunn and Reed Johnson are likely gone if we sell. Atlanta loves and needs Dunn bad-could see Shea Simmons for Dunn

I just hope this 2 game winning streak doesnt make Loria think we are in the race still. Sunday all talk was we are now sellers unless something happens so?

Oakland and Seattle match up great for Franklin-the issue is both in the AL West. Seattle is looking for SP for him.
                          Last edited by tjfla; 07-22-2014, 11:07 AM.

Comment

casey mcgehee playing first base!
                            poop

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                              Cause Lee knows the Marlins would never pay his contract so no point in putting them on the list

McGehee is getting calls but value wise teams are offering crap from what heard. They prefer getting a 2 yr deal done with him let him play 3B until Moran is ready then over to 1B

Cishek getting traded has nothing to do with Stanton it has more to do wth teams meeting the price. Which is said to be more than LAA paid for Street. We want either a ML Ready 2B or SP in the deal plus more which is why I mention Pitt. They have both(Glasnow not ML Ready but for us probably is),Boston has both too.

As of right now tho Mike Dunn and Reed Johnson are likely gone if we sell. Atlanta loves and needs Dunn bad-could see Shea Simmons for Dunn

I just hope this 2 game winning streak doesnt make Loria think we are in the race still. Sunday all talk was we are now sellers unless something happens so?

Oakland and Seattle match up great for Franklin-the issue is both in the AL West. Seattle is looking for SP for him.
                              Tyler Glasnow? He's in the Florida State League. He's not ML Ready by anyone's standards.

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                                Tyler Glasnow? He's in the Florida State League. He's not ML Ready by anyone's standards.
                                We are the team who promotes SP from AA. U don't think that if we got him we wouldn't put him at Jax? 6-4 1.77ERA 15 Starts 76 innings and dominating the FSL

Like said he isn't ready today but by next July he could be?

Comment

Working...
                                X