X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take the $2.6M or GTFOH, Hiney!

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
      He can either go back for his senior season or go play independent ball. A pitcher recently did the latter but I cannot think of his name to save my life.
      James Paxton. Actually worked out for him.
      Christian Yelich
      LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
      12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
      100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
      .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
        And u guys wanted us to draft Appel if he was there

Our drafts our getting worse every year. Last year we don't sign out #3 or #4 picks and this year its #1. On the brightside tho,we do have up to extra 2.8 mil to spend on Cody Gunter or Jordan Hillyer or any other guy we wanna sign
        Unfortunately, I don't think that's how it works. If you don't sign a guy, you lose that money from your pool. That's the big disadvantage to not signing a first rounder. You lose the money for your pool. It's not like they can go out and sign Romero for a million bucks.
        Christian Yelich
        LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
        12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
        100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
        .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

Originally posted by Bucklin12 View Post
          Unfortunately, I don't think that's how it works. If you don't sign a guy, you lose that money from your pool. That's the big disadvantage to not signing a first rounder. You lose the money for your pool. It's not like they can go out and sign Romero for a million bucks.
          Correct, Marlins lose the slotted amount for the 1st round pick and can't use it for any other picks in the draft. Will just be money saved for next draft I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucklin12 View Post
            O ok I thought u could spend up to your pool limit on whoever u wanted which was why College Seniors went early. Kinda makes no sense but alot of stuff doesn't anymore about the draft lol

Comment

M-A-R-L-I-N-S! WE ARE THE MARLINS! GO FISH!

Comment

He seemed like a reach at that pick anyway -- not a high ceiling and not likely to be dominant. If he doesn't want to take 2.6 mil, we're probably better off.

I do think it's funny, though, that they took someone who they thought was signable only to not be able to sign him.

Comment

more evidence that they are The Worst at drafting

Bobbob: Well, they aren't actually the worst.
                  Me: Yes they are, I meant the worst
                  Bobbob: Oh.
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

You're making me seem more likable. Thanks.
                    poop

Comment

Heaney has signed for $2.6 million per Jim Callis. Everyone can stop complaining now (well about this anyway)...
                      Last edited by fauowls44; 07-13-2012, 09:37 AM.

Comment

odd, I had read that the physical and bloodwork the Marlins required before signing wouldn't have a chance to get done in time

good bullshitting by the Marlins if they got this done though. They are still The Worst at drafting.

Bobbob: I don't see how you could think they're the absolute worst.
                        Me: They are, I believe they are 30th of all 30 teams.
                        Bobbob: Oh.
                        --------------------
                        After telling Andrew Heaney on Tuesday that they wouldn't sign him and confirming that yesterday, the Marlins have agreed to terms with their first-round pick for $2.6 million.

A lefthander from Oklahoma State, Heaney was the most polished pitcher available in the draft. He sits at 90-92 mph with his fastball and command his solid breaking ball and changeup as well. Heaney's bonus was $200,000 less than the $2.8 million assigned value for his No. 9 selection.

Miami now has saved $316,000 versus the values of its signed players in the first 10 rounds, and likely will sign third-rounder Avery Romero and 19th-rounder Cody Gunter later today.
                        http://ht.ly/cdDkp
                        Last edited by emkayseven; 07-13-2012, 09:53 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Callis also tweets that he expects 3rd rounder Avery Romero to sign now, as well as 19th round pick Cody Gunter.

Comment

yeah I literally wrote that the post above you

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                              Callis also tweets that he expects 3rd rounder Avery Romero to sign now, as well as 19th round pick Cody Gunter.
                              We still are terrible at drafting however it is nice to see we actually had a plan in all of this. Save $200,000 on Heaney and use that to sign Romero and Gunter

Comment

Gunter is a hilarious last name.
                                This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Working...
                                X