The Official Miami Marlins "Sale of the Team" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
    Even once you figure out an agreement they have to provide financials to MLB, get vetted by MLB, negotiate lending/financing options (because no one pays/can pay $1.5B cash), and get approved by the other owners. There is a reason these processes typically take a year +.
    Exactly this. They will prolly have a buyer set up by the ASG with it being announced sometime after(Jeff can't be shit on at the game). The problem is with all the MLB crap that has to be done(this will take months) with the last part being approved by other owners which means 2 years.

They might be able to rush it thru for this offseason especially since Jeff is hated by most other owners too BUT he is telling people 2 years.

- - - - - - - - - -

By way how mad must he be that WBC is 35,000+

I wonder if they sell his "row". I meant his seat but no one wants to sit near his ass so row is usually empty

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
      You thought this was going to be a quick process? The important thing is that they are in talks to sell the team. It will happen eventually, but it's going to take months.
      Did I say anything about a quick process ? I said we still can't celebrate a damn thing....thats all.

Comment

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...ng-groups.html

Reports today say there are three new potential groups trying to buy the Marlins:

Yankees legend Derek Jeter and former Florida governor Jeb Bush are both working to put together bidding groups to make a run at buying the Marlins, according to a report from Charlie Gasparino and Brian Schwartz of FOX Business. There is at least one other rival bidding group, per the report.

Jeter has already launched the popular Player’s Tribune website since hanging up his spikes, but could now seemingly embark upon another major business undertaking in advance of his likely Hall-of-Fame enshrinement in 2019. The former shortstop is said to be working with an investment banker who was previously affiliated with Morgan Stanley, though it’s not clear whether that firm is involved.

Meanwhile, Bush has lined up with Citigroup to weigh a proposal to take over the team from Jeffrey Loria, who is reportedly preparing to cash in on the organization at some point in the near future. And there’s a third known group as well; though it has no known headlining names, it’s said to have the backing of financial powerhouse Goldman Sachs.
        A group with Jeter involved would certainly bring instant credibility to Marlins baseball.

Comment

I dont care who buys the team as long as they have money and care about the on field product more than their bottom line, and bring the front office up to date on this era of team building.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            I dont care who buys the team as long as they have money and care about the on field product more than their bottom line, and bring the front office up to date on this era of team building.
            Agreed, I was just saying image wise to a skeptical Miami crowd, it'd be hard to beat having Jeter on the owner's list (obviously results would have to follow).

Comment

Have there been former MLB players who have successfully bought teams?

Personally I'd prefer not Jeter - he'd be just one partner in a group that would have to cobble together money and the story would constantly be Jeter Jeter Jeter.

Sounds crazy but I think I'd love Jeb! - fluent Spanish speaker, fairly popular already in Florida, and certainly has ties to plenty of people with money that I don't think getting a smaller group than Jeter would be hard.
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                Agreed, I was just saying image wise to a skeptical Miami crowd, it'd be hard to beat having Jeter on the owner's list (obviously results would have to follow).
                Oh absolutely, I agree, althought I dont think Jeter would be our true owner. I think it would be a partnership and he would be the Marlins owner in the way that Magic Johnson was (is?) the dodgers owner. A face of the team as a minority owner. I dont think Jeter has the amount of money necessary to be the majority owner, unless i'm way off on the amount of money he truly has.

- - - - - - - - - -

Personally I'd prefer not Jeter - he'd be just one partner in a group that would have to cobble together money and the story would constantly be Jeter Jeter Jeter.

Sounds crazy but I think I'd love Jeb! - fluent Spanish speaker, fairly popular already in Florida, and certainly has ties to plenty of people with money that I don't think getting a smaller group than Jeter would be hard.
                I'd rather not have a politician, especially one who is still active, be the owner. I really wish Mickey Arison had the money to get in on owning another sports team. He is such a great basketball owner because, unlike Loria, he recognizes that he has no expertise in basketball and defers to others but also knows how to run a first class organization and treat players right.

Comment

Oh absolutely, I agree, althought I dont think Jeter would be our true owner. I think it would be a partnership and he would be the Marlins owner in the way that Magic Johnson was (is?) the dodgers owner. A face of the team as a minority owner. I dont think Jeter has the amount of money necessary to be the majority owner, unless i'm way off on the amount of money he truly has.

- - - - - - - - - -

I'd rather not have a politician, especially one who is still active, be the owner. I really wish Mickey Arison had the money to get in on owning another sports team. He is such a great basketball owner because, unlike Loria, he recognizes that he has no expertise in basketball and defers to others but also knows how to run a first class organization and treat players right.
                  Oh yeah, I know Jeter would only be the figurehead of ownership.

I remember a few years ago, someone here made an article saying Mickey Arison was buying the Marlins, and I was really excited, only to later realize it was April 1st....

Comment

I'd even really like it if Stephen Ross bought the marlins. He is stupid rich and while he might be a bit of a dope at times, he seems to truly care deeply about winning and his dopiness with the dolphins seems to have been a little bit related to not knowing how to own a professional NFL team which, lets be honest, is probably pretty normal for most new sports owners. I remember Ballmer talking about how he had no idea wtf he was doing the first year or 2 when he bought the clippers.

Plus Stephen Ross would be a great fuck you to Loria as Ross just single handedly financed hard rock stadiums renovations and did an unbelievable job with it.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                      Oh yeah, I know Jeter would only be the figurehead of ownership.

I remember a few years ago, someone here made an article saying Mickey Arison was buying the Marlins, and I was really excited, only to later realize it was April 1st....
                      that was me but if it makes you feel any better the whole internet bought it
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Also, Mark Cuban would be a tremendous baseball owner. But MLB is fucking stupid so thats not going to happen.

Comment

Long as the owner is willing to put money into the whole franchise and is looking to make a FO- I could care less who buys it. My only issue with Jeter would be him wanting to make baseball decisions. U want to be successful franchise u do what LA/Cubs/Houston or even SD has done-pay the bills and shut up. Only time we should hear your name is if the President wants to sign a guy for some crazy amount and they are asking for permission. Someone like Jeb or a investment group would own the team and put money into with ZERO interest in the baseball side beside the $ part. They would hire a President who would make all the baseball stuff,VP,GM,AGM

- - - - - - - - - -

Long as the owner is willing to put money into the whole franchise and is looking to make a FO- I could care less who buys it. My only issue with Jeter would be him wanting to make baseball decisions. U want to be successful franchise u do what LA/Cubs/Houston or even SD has done-pay the bills and shut up. Only time we should hear your name is if the President wants to sign a guy for some crazy amount and they are asking for permission. Someone like Jeb or a investment group would own the team and put money into with ZERO interest in the baseball side beside the $ part. They would hire a President who would make all the baseball stuff,VP,GM,AGM

Comment

I don't care who buys the team as long as they aren't related to Loria or Samson.

Comment

I don't want Jeter either but I'd rather have Jeter than a politician.

Does Dontrelle Willis have 980 million in the bank. I want him to be the owner.

Comment

Bingo !!! Yesss all the way

- - - - - - - - - -

Really ? I guess you are not familiar with his reign of terror as governor. Trashed public schools, hurt the elderly (especially after his 2nd election when he couldn't run again) and his broken lies....I'd rather not have any political figure owning the team, NO THANK YOU.

Comment

Working...
                                X