No announcement yet.

Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter O'Brien was DFA by Arizona-now I know he hasnt looked great in the majors but I wouldn't mind taking a shot on him.

Hits lefties and can play 1B/Corner OF and catcher too. Other words perfect for us which means we won't even look at him

- - - - - - - - - -

Dead horse here but still a joke on how we can't spend on talent

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/bas...-deal-with-as/

Ruiz is 22 and was Ranked #3 IFA. Oakland pays 2(4) for Ruiz and 3(6) for Lazarito. Top Arm and Bat from Cuba. So cost them 10 million for 2 solid prospects while we sit on 3 million dollars

Can't wait till July 2 when every team is out of Pool $ while we are sitting on 5.25 million asking if anyone wants it
    Last edited by tjfla; 12-23-2016, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• O'Brien had a .970 OPS against LHP in 2015. Going through his numbers a bit and it's funny how much his career has mirrored Bour's. Given that we need bench bats and a platoon for Bour (Chris Johnson got 100 ABs against lefties so that needs to be replaced), O'Brien seems like a solid guy to go after. Good find tjfla.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, following the minor league career of O'Brien shows a trend of him struggling at one level for a season, then demolishing that league the next and getting called up. Was pretty consistent with that until reaching AAA in 2015 and doing well from the start. Plus he has like 70 total ABs in the majors so that's a terrible sample size.

EDIT: Looking at his positions, it seems he's a utility player. Spent a lot of time as a catcher, then tried 3rd base for a bit, then in 2014 played the outfield, 1st base, and catcher, and starting in 2015 has spent the majority of his time in the outfield. I'm actually not sure what position he really is.
      Last edited by dim; 12-23-2016, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
        O'Brien had a .970 OPS against LHP in 2015. Going through his numbers a bit and it's funny how much his career has mirrored Bour's. Given that we need bench bats and a platoon for Bour (Chris Johnson got 100 ABs against lefties so that needs to be replaced), O'Brien seems like a solid guy to go after. Good find tjfla.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, following the minor league career of O'Brien shows a trend of him struggling at one level for a season, then demolishing that league the next and getting called up. Was pretty consistent with that until reaching AAA in 2015 and doing well from the start. Plus he has like 70 total ABs in the majors so that's a terrible sample size.

EDIT: Looking at his positions, it seems he's a utility player. Spent a lot of time as a catcher, then tried 3rd base for a bit, then in 2014 played the outfield, 1st base, and catcher, and starting in 2015 has spent the majority of his time in the outfield. I'm actually not sure what position he really is.
        I think he's a catcher, but has defensive concerns, and has therefore been moved around to other positions.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
          O'Brien had a .970 OPS against LHP in 2015. Going through his numbers a bit and it's funny how much his career has mirrored Bour's. Given that we need bench bats and a platoon for Bour (Chris Johnson got 100 ABs against lefties so that needs to be replaced), O'Brien seems like a solid guy to go after. Good find tjfla.

- - - - - - - - - -

He is a catcher but not great defensive at all which is why he went to 1B however with Goldschmidt no need so he has been in the Corners. I would say 1B/Corner OF and if needed at catcher he would be average. Just not a bad option that is out there

We wont get him-either he will pass thru or get claimed by someone before #14. Jeff doesn't give cash for guys and makes to much sense for us

Plus no space on the 40 man-we need Destin Hood and Odrisamer Despaigne on the 40 man for some reason?? Elvis Araujo was DFA today

Comment

• I'm pretty high on O'Brien, would love to pick him up
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Are we the only team who can't get a guy thru DFA if they are under 30?? No loss but Nefi Ogando claimed by Pitt

Apology for my Hood/Despaigne comments. Looks like we DFA Araujo cause he is going to the Chunichi Dragons. Jeff needs the cash for other players He loves getting guys for nothing and selling them whether we have a use for them or not

By the way Frisaro is saying they might carry 12 or 13 arms and go with a short bench. Also they are NOT looking for bench help,JT will help at 1B as a RHB they said

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
              I'm pretty high on O'Brien, would love to pick him up
              Ill take him instead of Destin Hood on the 40 man. Better player and alot more useful could play LF/RF/1B/C and has pop
              Last edited by tjfla; 12-23-2016, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                By the way Frisaro is saying they might carry 12 or 13 arms and go with a short bench. Also they are NOT looking for bench help,JT will help at 1B as a RHB they said
                13 arms seems like a bad idea for a NL team needing to pinch hit all the time. Especially with fantastic bullpen depth where they'll be able to rest core relievers routinely because their # 4-5 guy is going to be pretty damn good and could be the 8-9 on a lot of teams.

Dietrich, Rojas, Ellis, and Ichiro shouldn't be the entire bench. They need another hitter, who presumably is a 1B/LF type who hits lefties a bit. Plouffe is pretty perfect if he's ok with a 400 PA role.

Comment

• Are we really content yet again to go into the season with the same lineup that will once again be decimated once the inevitable 2-3 injuries happen? And are we really content again to not add anything to our depth that will help us survive those injuries? How mnay years in a row does this have to happen?

Comment

• I'd be shocked if they don't add another bat and another SP option. They are probably just waiting for prices to drop in January like a lot of teams are right now.

I suppose they did add some organizational depth with some AAAA-type bats with Moore, Den Dekker and Barnes that could see some time in the Majors if necessary. They also added a decent project in Fife as a potential spot starter at some point, but they need to add some more starting pitching options, even in AAA. I'd like to see if they can get a Dillon Gee or Jonathan Neise (or someone like them) on a minor league deal.
                    Last edited by fauowls44; 12-26-2016, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                      Are we really content yet again to go into the season with the same lineup that will once again be decimated once the inevitable 2-3 injuries happen? And are we really content again to not add anything to our depth that will help us survive those injuries? How mnay years in a row does this have to happen?
                      Issue like usually with us is the cash. Hammel,Fister,Plouffe are all guys they like but won't pay them what they want at this moment

AAA Roster will carry the backup OF/5th OF-Barnes,den Dekker,Hood,Perez,Moore

What they need to spend cash on is that bat that can play multiple spots especially 1B. Plus can hit lefties

Our SP signings will likely be minor league deals. CJ Wilson on incentives maybe?
                      Last edited by tjfla; 12-26-2016, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• Looks like a FO that knows what the hell is going on has figured out that Plouffe is out there

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/r...PdWrw8.twitter

Red Sox are in on him but only if price drops to 2-3 million. UT guys have been getting 5-6 million.

Someone should email the link to Marlins FO and replace the Red Sox guys with Bour/Prado then maybe they will realize 5 million bucks can solve the big glaring need

- - - - - - - - - -

Also Scruggs to Korea

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                          Looks like a FO that knows what the hell is going on has figured out that Plouffe is out there

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/r...PdWrw8.twitter

Red Sox are in on him but only if price drops to 2-3 million. UT guys have been getting 5-6 million.

Someone should email the link to Marlins FO and replace the Red Sox guys with Bour/Prado then maybe they will realize 5 million bucks can solve the big glaring need

- - - - - - - - - -

Also Scruggs to Korea
                          I'm sure that the Marlins and a lot of teams would be interested in him for $2-3 million too. That's why I don't buy it when Hill says they are done with additions this offseason. They are just waiting for prices to drop like everyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                            I'm sure that the Marlins and a lot of teams would be interested in him for $2-3 million too. That's why I don't buy it when Hill says they are done with additions this offseason. They are just waiting for prices to drop like everyone else.
                            Very true but who do u think Plouffe will sign a 1 yr 3 million dollar deal with? Boston or Miami? 99.999999% chance its NOT Miami!!

If we want him offer 2 yr 10 million and get it done. Its like Danny Valencia/Peter O'Brien-instead of waiting to see IF u can get them,be proactive and just get them when u can before the market gets crazy. U can wait on the SP market to drop-not alot of bats tho

Comment

• I'd still like to see us sign Jason Hammel.

Comment

• This will end in tears
                                http://m.marlins.mlb.com/news/articl...?tcid=tw_share

Comment

Working...
                                X