• Show
Clear All

Of course we did. lol

Comment

Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
      Of course we did. lol
      He deserves it.

Comment

Eh. Like the move for stability purpose. The players like him. Managers don't affect games as much as we'd like to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
          Eh. Like the move for stability purpose. The players like him. Managers don't affect games as much as we'd like to believe.
          This. I think he's a below average in-game manager but the players like him and some managerial stability is nice.
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

If he makes it to the end of this deal, he'll be the longest tenured manager in franchise history.

Comment

He got lucky about 20 of the 23 times he put Stanton in a position to be intentionally walked bringing HITS McGahee to the plate but I don't mind this move.

As long as the players like him and it brings stability like others have said.

Comment

A lot of the things he gets criticized for is stuff that other managers do, as well. We just notice it more because we watch this team every day.

77 wins is a pretty nice accomplishment for a team that probably should've lost 100 games again. I'm glad he got extended even if I don't agree with all of his moves.

Comment

Erick is right.

Who cares

Comment

I really wish managers didn't wear uniforms. It's so silly.
                    This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

My only real major issue with him is how he says grind, grinding, and/or grinder 4,525 times a season.
                      --------------------
                      "As a former catcher in this league for 13 seasons, as a grinder, as a guy who loves this game and respects this game so much, this game has been a part of my life forever, but to lose a ballgame tonight on that play is a joke. It’s an absolute joke.

I don’t think anybody that plays this game should feel good about winning that game, and I would say that if it had been reversed. That guy was out by 15 feet. It was a great baseball play. [Stanton] threw a strike to Matty. He was out by 15 feet. He didn’t slide because he couldn’t slide because he was out by so far, and yet those guys in New York decided the outcome of that game.

I don’t blame [crew chief and home plate umpire] Mike Winters. He was on it. He knew the call on the field was right and he told me that when I was out there. As a manager you sit there and look your players in the face and my job is to pump these guys up and to keep these guys going every single day and no doubt we’ve got some grinders, some battlers out there in this clubhouse, to look them in the face and say we just lost a game on a technicality is bullshit, absolute bullshit.

I'm so pissed. Like I said I played this game for a long time. I've given this game everything I've had as a player, as a manager. What a joke. What a fucking joke. That's ridiculous.

Like I said, I don't blame the umpires here. Mike Winters, a lot of respect for these guys, but we made a mistake today, not just in this game, but for the game of baseball. You can look back on this game, whatever man. A couple guys get run over at the plate, get hurt. I caught a long time. I never got hurt back there getting run over. For this rule to evolve into this, I mean, what is it going to become? A force play at home?

Jeff Mathis, this guy grinds it out every single day. He's going to go home tonight devastated, thinking he cost our ballclub the game because he did his job, because he caught a ball and tagged a guy on the hip. Really? Really? We're going to go home tonight and he's going to grind it out going, ‘I cost our club the game’ because he did his job? G? Perfect strike at home, wasn’t good enough? That wasn’t good enough? I lost the game. I did my job. What a joke.

I sat there at the Winter Meetings and I said to myself when I heard this rule, ‘I sure hope this isn’t us that takes this call,’ and I knew it would be us. I knew it. What a joke.

[Winters] said, ‘You’re right.’ I’m not sure anybody can justify him being safe. I don’t know how you can do that. Sorry, but I don’t know how.

We’ve moved on from a lot of tough losses. These guys are pros. They get it. That’s a tough one, but we’ll pick up the pieces [Friday] and move on.

Tom pitched his ass off. He pitched his ass off. He did everything he needed to do. We had a chance to maybe make a play or two behind him that probably would have eliminated the situation we were in, but he did everything he needed to do.

I would love for somebody in New York to come down here and sit with my catchers. I only played for 13 years. I have no idea. I guess my knowledge is limited on this rule. I would love for somebody to come down here and explain to my guys exactly how to block the plate because apparently I don’t know how to teach it. I don’t know if anybody knows how to teach it because we don’t really know what the rule is.”

My favorite is when he says Mathis is going to home and grind it out.
                      Last edited by HUGG; 09-28-2014, 10:56 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                        A lot of the things he gets criticized for is stuff that other managers do, as well. We just notice it more because we watch this team every day.
                        That doesn't mean those moves aren't stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                          My only real major issue with him is how he says grind, grinding, and/or grinder 4,525 times a season.
                          --------------------

My favorite is when he says Mathis is going to home and grind it out.
                          Better than "he's our guy" and "get him right" lines from Fredi
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I am guessing that Ericks last post was directed at my last post?

Jose Fernandez could have coached this team to 77 wins. They won 77 games because of the outfield, Alvarez, Cosart, HitsIntoDoublePlay McGahees ridiculously lucky 1H and a solid bullpen.

Not Mike Redmond.

Again, I don't mind the move but cmon.

Comment

I feel like the manager's biggest role in today's age of baseball is managing the bullpen, and I think Red's done a fine job in that this year. Just think of the guys that we've seen go from fringe prospects to solid major leaguers in the pen. Dyson, Hatcher, and Capps all fit that bill, and then we had a guy who was barely used in Pittsburgh and put him in high pressure situations and he turned out to be probably our best set-up man. I mean other than Jokers like Marmol and Gregg showing up at times this year the bullpen's been real solid, and Redmond didn't bring in those guys.

Some of his late game replacements and strategy are puzzling to me sometimes, but these are things that I complain about with pretty much every manager we've ever had.

I think Red's a good guy, and the players seem to love him, so I'm happy for him.

Comment

Working...
                              X