No announcement yet.

Baseball America 2014 Marlins Top 10 Prospects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you think Marisnick is going to be a successful major leaguer, there's no way Wittgren ends up being a better player than him. The only way you can put Wittgren above Marisnick (which you're probably the only one doing that) is if you think Marisnick is going to be a bust.

It's just improbable for a reliever to be more valuable than an every day CF'er. How good are you expecting each guy to become?

Comment

I put Marisnick high because he's been good in the minors. I've stated before I don't think he'll hit enough in the majors to stay long term, but he's got enough potential to keep him high on the list.

Marisnick is a confusing player for me. I think there's definite talent there (especially on defense), and he's proven to be at least a competent hitter in the minors, but he looked completely lost in his time in the majors. He's definitely a guy who would benefit from added time in the minors, but I'm not sure I can see Marisnick ever becoming more than a 3rd or 4th outfielder.

I like Wittgren because I think great young closers are sometimes a hard commodity to find (even if the Marlins have one in Cishek). I'm excited to see Wittgren handle AA next year and hopefully jump up to AAA quickly. He's far from any kind of sure bet, and he's not the Marlins 6th best prospect right now, but he's one of those guys that has done nothing but get people out since college. I find it hard not to get excited over having a college polished potential closer lurking.

But yes, I don't mind people saying it's far too early to list a reliever, let alone one who hasn't pitched beyond A+ ball, that high.

Comment

A "3rd outfielder" (not sure I've heard that one before) is a starter. A starting OF'er is probably going to be better than a reliever unless if you're already predicting that Wittgren is going to become one of the best (and by best, I mean like top-3 or something) relievers in baseball one day.

Comment

Well I think Wittgren can be a successful closer. Not saying top 3 (or 10 or whatever), but I'll take a successful closer over what I think may be a fringe starting outfielder.

Comment

Originally posted by jay576 View Post
            Realmuto was a 22 year old catcher in AA last year. Catchers develop much slower than every other position and are rarer too. He's a legitimate prospect still. He drops if he repeats his performance this year.
            He repeated his bad performance from two years ago last year, though.
            poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
              He repeated his bad performance from two years ago last year, though.
              I know but he also went from A+ to AA. While if he goes from AA to AAA the park factors should improve performance while still putting out the same production. But I expect him to repeat AA which is what I meant in my original post and do better. Still catchers are harder to develop and should be judged differently.

Comment

Yeah, but last year wasn't his first bad year.
                poop

Comment

Honestly who hits well in Jupiter?

Comment

Christian Yelich

Comment

Giancarlo Stanton.
                      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Logan Morrison. Jeremy Hermida.

Comment

Brent Keys.
                          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Kyle Jensen

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                              Brent Keys.
                              That sub .060 ISO was killer.

Comment

Brent Keys and Kyle Jensen are the only guys you have listed that haven't been considered top tier prospects. Morrison is the only other name not mentioned that wasn't a first or second round pick. I've never stated I believe Realmuto is in that category but in a farm not filled with top prospects he easily gets the placed on the lower end of top 10 lists.

Comment

Working...
                                X