Henderson Alvarez, SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henderson Alvarez, SP

Watching the World Baseball Classic on television, Marlins manager Mike Redmond noticed that a trainer visited the mound while right-hander Henderson Alvarez was pitching for Venezuela against Puerto Rico.

Since he's one of the players Miami received in the blockbuster trade with Toronto last December, and since he's penciled into the rotation, that caught Redmond's attention.

Before Sunday's game against the Braves at Champion Field, he said he didn't think there was a serious issue. "I'm hoping. It looked like he just stumbled off the mound. I haven't heard anything. If it had been something, we would have gotten an e-mail on the injury report. And we didn't. So that's good," he explained.

Alvarez took the loss, allowing three runs on five hits and a walk in three innings. With Venezuela eliminated, Redmond added that he didn't know when Alvarez would be back in camp.
    http://miami.marlins.mlb.com/news/ar...k_mia&c_id=mia
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Alvarez suffered a setback with his shoulder and will be shut down "for a bit", per Frisario.
    poop

Comment

See you in 2014.

Comment

toldyouso.com/strengthandconditioning
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

It's likely that the entire organization has shitty strength and conditioning.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
            toldyouso.com/strengthandconditioning
            I like that you do this thing where you drop in and then when people provide counterpoints and examples of other organizations in both MLB and other sports dealing with the same thing, you just fucking disappear.
            poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
              I like that you do this thing where you drop in and then when people provide counterpoints and examples of other organizations in both MLB and other sports dealing with the same thing, you just fucking disappear.
              Well, yeah. I'd respect that viewpoint more if he responded to rebuttals instead of disappearing like Fip.

Anyway, Alvarez was in extended ST, which is a different training staff than the one that travels with the Marlins. Mahoney and Alvarez were there. Stanton was up here.

Is MK7 concluding the strength and conditioning throughout the entire organization is subpar?

Comment

Seriously, MK7. Honest question: How many individual teams do you follow closely on an everyday basis?
                poop

Comment

Not every organization is the Phoenix Suns.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                    Not every organization is the Phoenix Suns.
                    No, they're not. That seems like a nice strawman, I guess, because nobody is saying so. I've said as much in the course of this discussion.

Every single organization goes through this with injuries. Because caring for high-end athletes is an inexact science.

To take just one example I just saw in the last 15 minutes: White Sox pitcher Gavin Floyd suffered a tendon strain in his pitching arm last season that he played through after missing two starts. He suffered the same injury this week and it was initially reported that it is not a serious injury and he will likely only need the minimum time on the DL. Now, it is being reported that he is seeking "multiple" second opinions outside of the organization.

This stuff happens all of the time. MK7 only notices it with the Marlins because they're the only team he is paying attention to so closely as the get every single piece of news that comes out.
                    Last edited by Bobbob1313; 05-02-2013, 05:38 PM.
                    poop

Comment

I don't think MH is disagreeing with us.

Comment

It's quite possible. It was a vague post.
                        poop

Comment

Yeah, I thought MH was more agreeing with you guys than mk7.

Comment

Well then, I am sorry, MiamiHomer.
                            poop

Comment

It was vague, but I was indeed agreeing with ya. I think what MK7 is doing can be said about a lot of sports organization without actually looking into specifics. It's also why I find it fascinating how the Suns staff has gotten this reputation because one would assume all sporting organizations should have a staff on par with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X