No announcement yet.

Jeff Mathis, C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaron Boone would probably vote for him. Second to Jason Grilli.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

We still need to find a catcher for the future. I don't think Brantly's the answer at this point, but I do think Mathis is the ideal backup catcher, and I hope we can keep him in that role for a long time.

Comment

Let's not get too vocal about how we'd like to keep Mathis as a back up.

Loria might be reading the boards. He might trade him to the Royals for cash.

Comment

There is a team option for the same amount of salary ($1.5) for 2015
          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
            We still need to find a catcher for the future. I don't think Brantly's the answer at this point, but I do think Mathis is the ideal backup catcher, and I hope we can keep him in that role for a long time.
            I've actually never understood why the ideal back up catcher is one who's great defensively.

Mainly because catchers never get fielding replacements like with every other position. Having a great defensive IF is good to have on your bench so you can plug him in late in the game. But you don't do this with catchers.

Comment

yeah but they're also never used in pinch hitting situations. So if I had a choice, give me a guy I know is going to be solid defensively cuz I know he's always going to have that. I don't care how good a hitter he is, it's going to be tough to produce with the bat only playing every 5 days or so.

Comment

That's assuming you have a catcher who's good enough to start 80% of your games already. Not a safe assumption given our current situation.
                poop

Comment

Mathis is a 0.9 WAR B-R and Fangraphs has him at 0.6. In 29 games.

Honestly, if he can OPS over .600 (he's at .616 right now), he's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                    That's assuming you have a catcher who's good enough to start 80% of your games already. Not a safe assumption given our current situation.
                    Well of course, I was more talking about backup catchers in general.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                      yeah but they're also never used in pinch hitting situations. So if I had a choice, give me a guy I know is going to be solid defensively cuz I know he's always going to have that. I don't care how good a hitter he is, it's going to be tough to produce with the bat only playing every 5 days or so.
                      That's a very fair point, so I can see why now.

Though, and this bounces off bb's comment as well, I do prefer a platoon out of C. It's easily the most ideal position to platoon as it doesn't affect the bench aswell as keep the catcher's knees fresh. It's just rare to find a lefty C that can do that. I think Brantly can, so a more offensive orriented lefty masher would be more up my alley.

Comment

I like when you can clearly hear him yell "get over there" at Fernadez (or Dunn as was the case just now vs the Cubs) when the pitcher is slow to cover 1B.

Comment

Every catcher is taught to do that on every groundball to the right side.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                            Every catcher is taught to do that on every groundball to the right side.
                            I just happen to know that. #LittleLeagueDad.

But Mathis is the only catcher that I can hear yell it when I'm watching it on TV.

Comment

Cause Loria

Comment

Right. Or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X