No announcement yet.

Jose Fernandez, RHP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's more than 14 months removed from his last start.

Was about 13 months for Strasburg, so I guess it's not crazy...
    poop

Comment

• The "recovery" time is 12-18 months. Most guys return in 12, but oh well.
      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Yeah, he'll probably pitching in games 11-12 months after, but has to build up strength on rehab.
        poop

Comment

• A pitcher has 30 days to rehab. So unless they send him down, he would start rehab games in mid June and get 4 or 5 starts.

Comment

• MIAMI -- Marlins ace Jose Fernandez has been cleared to start throwing Oct. 1.

The 2013 National League Rookie of the Year had season-ending Tommy John surgery May 16. He met with Dr. Neal ElAttrache in Los Angeles on Thursday.

"A lot of good news came out of that in going up there and seeing him so I'm really excited," Fernandez said Friday. "I'm feeling great. I'm feeling like I didn't have the surgery so I think that's good news."

There is not a timetable for Fernandez's return to game action.

"We are going really week by week," Fernandez said. "That was the goal since surgery. ... If it's Opening Day, great. If it's September next year, great. It will depend on how I feel."

However, the 22-year-old pitcher did say he would like for his return to be at Marlins Park where he is 9-0 with a 1.19 ERA in 15 career starts.

"Whatever day it is, hopefully I would love for it to be a home game," Fernandez said.

He plans on throwing either at 30 or 45 feet for three to four minutes during the Oct. 1 throwing session, but does not anticipate expediting the process for a return.

"I've got to be really smart about how I'm going to approach this and be really careful because I don't want to come back for three months, I want to come back for 13, 14 more years that I want to play in the Big Leagues," Fernandez said.

Fernandez is 12-6 with a 2.19 ERA in 28 career starts. He has 187 strikeout in 172 2-3 innings.
            http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11...throwing-oct-1
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• "I've got to be really smart about how I'm going to approach this and be really careful because I don't want to come back for three months, I want to come back for 13, 14 more years that I want to play in the Big Leagues," Fernandez said.
              especially the 2,3 more years he has left here

but, yeah, this is good news

Comment

• well after 13 or 14 more years he'll be well into his 50s already
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• <3
                  poop

Comment

• I've missed him.

Comment

• I like those Marlins socks.

Comment

• MIAMI -- Jose Fernandez released the ball with such velocity that the sound of it landing in the catcher's mitt echoed crisply throughout Marlins Park.

And to think, he's nowhere close to throwing hard yet.

Fernandez's recovery from elbow-reconstruction surgery is turning another corner, with the Miami Marlins' ace now starting a throwing program. He made 25 tosses on Friday, the second throwing session of a rehab project that is still a long way from being finished.

"Feels like I never had surgery and I never stopped throwing," Fernandez said. "It's weird because you think you will feel it. You guys saw there, the ball's just coming out of my hand incredible."

He needed about five minutes to complete the 25 throws to Marlins athletic trainer Sean Cunningham, who winced occasionally as Fernandez's throws from about 30 to 45 feet neared his glove.

"The progress in 4-1/2 months is really incredible," Fernandez said.

Fernandez is 16-8 in parts of two seasons with the Marlins with a 2.25 ERA, and won the NL Rookie of the Year award in 2013. He had surgery in May and is expected back by the midpoint of the 2015 season.

"Maybe later, maybe before," Fernandez said. "Who knows?"

His mother was among the group of onlookers, mostly media members who awaited Fernandez to talk for a few minutes afterward in English and Spanish.

The media session was about three times as long as the actual throwing, which began with Fernandez -- clad in a cap, T-shirt, shorts, patterned socks and cleats -- simulating his pitching motion while holding a towel in an effort to get loose.

A few repetitions of that, he rubbed his right hand on the dirt in foul territory, Cunningham moved into his spot in left field, and Fernandez went to work.

"I think I'm a way different pitcher now," Fernandez said. "I see pitching a lot different. I'm learning so much. . You become a lot smarter pitcher, I think, when you go through this."

He plans to throw three times a week off flat ground for now and says he will not do anything beyond what his doctors tell him is advisable.

Fernandez insists that being patient won't be difficult, even though he says the way the ball is coming out of his hand "has never felt this good, ever."

"It feels like I was ready to pitch," Fernandez said. "That's how it feels now. But obviously, it's a process. It's a slow process. And I'm really happy it is a slow process, because I want to be here for a long time."
                        http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11...ls-better-ever

Comment

• Come back soon, sweet Prince.

Comment

• The world feels so much more complete when Jose throws a baseball. I feel like he can solve world hunger and give us world peace.

Comment

• I don't think I saw anyone mention this, but Jose was one of 141 to become an American citizen on Friday. He was the only one to speak. In the interviews after, Fernandez talked about how he was a little nervous to speak in front of everyone. He also kept saying how great of a country the United States is. I really miss him on the field.

Also, Jose will face hitters for the first time on Thursday after his scheduled pen session on Monday.

Comment

• Happy for Jose.

Comment

Working...
                                X