No announcement yet.

Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramos, Phelps, Barraclough, Wittgren, McGowan, Ellington. That's 6.

Not sure why some of you are floating RHP relievers like Ziegler. If it's an elite option like Kenley, SURE, or, if Ramos is the trade chip for a SP, SURE, but they don't need a right hander on a practical level. They are fine with the good ones they have. They may even have more if Urena or Brice or whoever turn into reliable RP.

I think they need to sign a SP to push Locke to the bullpen and a veteran lefty reliever, like Dunn or Travis Wood, to man that last spot. That's a really deep bullpen top to bottom capable of eating a lot of innings.

Then pray to god this is the 55 HR Stanton year and the prospects show enough in the first half of the year to get a real top end SP in July.

Comment

• Ziegler is highly undervalued. Look at his numbers the last two seasons and tell me he hasn't been an elite option during that time. He also doesn't show signs of decline despite his age. Ziegler is capable of doing what Jansen would've done for far less years and far less money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
        We already tried this last offseason, to a greater extent, with Wei-Yei Chen. Let's not overpay starters because our starting rotation stinks. It only creates more problems. Now we're stuck with Chen's contract.
        I think he'll be much better this year.

Originally posted by dim View Post
        EDIT: For the record my preseason want list was to trade Ramos and Ozuna for that #2 starter, sign Josh Reddick to fill for Ozuna, and sign Fister and one of the Dickey/Peavy/De La Rosa/etc... back end crew to make up the rotation. Didn't anticipate the Marlins putting bullpen as a priority.
        These were almost my exact thoughts as well.

- - - - - - - - - -

So time for Edwin?

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
          Ziegler is highly undervalued. Look at his numbers the last two seasons and tell me he hasn't been an elite option during that time. He also doesn't show signs of decline despite his age. Ziegler is capable of doing what Jansen would've done for far less years and far less money.
          He's solid, but he's still going to cost a little bit of money and the difference between using that money to improve on Wittgren/Barraclough with Ziegler, versus #5 spot with someone like Hammel over Locke (with the added benefit that improves the 2nd bullpen lefty spot if Locke shifts there), is a no brainer to me. Keep the bullpen as is, get a SP, a Mike Dunn/Travis Wood type, and put Locke in the pen. There is no top end in the rotation, but that bullpen should scream. They have the right handers, they just need the left handers? Locke and Dunn/Wood with Cervanka in AAA is pretty nice.

Ziegler seems to be a great option to me if Ramos+Ozuna turn into a SP, then Ziegler can be the Ramos replacement and they can use some of that cash to get two 1B/LF to help out Bour/Ichiro/Dietrich. But as is, the choice is really Ziegler would replace Wittgren or Barraclough? I'm not seeing much of an upgrade there? Opposed to Kenley - he is special and much better than Ziegler. You land the special guy and deal with the fall out. I'm not seeing Ziegler at that level of production on a prospective basis.

Comment

• Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Hope we offer Edwin 3/60, will help him find a team to give him 3/54 so he can sign with them

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
              Hope we offer Edwin 3/60, will help him find a team to give him 3/54 so he can sign with them
              I guarantee you this is surprising to no one except Loria. You can't continually trade away your free agent signings very early in their contracts and expect future free agents to want to come here.

Comment

• I'd 3/60 for Encarnacion. The value he'd bring to the lineup would definitely surpass what Jansen brought in my opinion. It's also not a real long term commitment and a player who could actually be a game-changer for the team, making the $20 million AAV worth it.

That said I would have to imagine he'll want to stay in the American League and be a DH. It is where he's best utilized.

Comment

• What about Boone Logan if we're interested in relievers? Seems like a good fit for us.

Comment

• Would be a boon.

Comment

• Give me Ziegler, Encarnacion, and Hammel/Fister. Jansen would have been a horrible signing.

Comment

• I wonder what the true odds of the Marlins signing Ziegler, Encarnacion and one of Hammel/Fister?

I think the number starts somewhere around astronomical.

Comment

• The Marlins were awarded the 36th pick of the draft as a competitive balance pick.

Comment

• Why are even discussing Encarnacion?

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                              The Marlins were awarded the 36th pick of the draft as a competitive balance pick.
                              This is tradeable right?

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                                The Marlins were awarded the 36th pick of the draft as a competitive balance pick.
                                More ammo for a trade!!

Round A
                                31. Tampa Bay Rays
                                32. Cincinnati Reds
                                33. Oakland Athletics
                                34. Milwaukee Brewers
                                35. Minnesota Twins
                                36. Miami Marlins

Round B
                                67. Arizona Diamondbacks
                                68. San Diego Padres
                                69. Colorado Rockies
                                70. Cleveland Indians
                                71. Kansas City Royals
                                72. Pittsburgh Pirates
                                73. Baltimore Orioles
                                74. St. Louis Cardinals

For future knowledge since we will be in this thing

The Competitive Balance Rounds are no longer determined via lottery. Instead, all teams that fall in the bottom 10 in revenue and bottom 10 in market size will get a pick in Round A, after the first round, or Round B, following the second round. Using a formula that takes revenue and winning percentage into account, six teams were awarded Round A picks, with eight teams getting picks in Comp Round B. The groups of teams will switch in 2018 (meaning there will be eight Comp Round A picks, six in Round B), and will alternate as such for the life of this CBA.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
                                This is tradeable right?
                                Damn right-pick and draft money(1.7 mil) that goes with it. Would have already been Atlanta's if they held this in July Now u can offer it to teams who want more $ in the draft
                                Last edited by tjfla; 12-13-2016, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X