X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Likely Won't Have Mermaids or Manatees in New Park

Save The Manatees: The Miami Marlins Fire Their Fat Guy Dancing Troupe

By Gus Garcia-Roberts Mon., Dec. 12 2011 at 8:00 AM

​We can understand stiffing taxpayers with a $2.6 billion invoice for a shiny new stadium. We can't even really blame the Miami Marlins for refusing to chip in for millions in parking taxes while dropping nine figures on high-priced free agents. Hey, if our county officials are so inept that you can get away with it, why not?
    But firing the jiggly guys who for years have entertained fans for negligible pay? That's just cold.

When the Marlins baseball team moves to Little Havana in the spring, the Manatees -- the team's plus-size male dance troupe -- will not be invited.

The team is trying to keep the decision quiet, but several current and former big dancers confirmed it to Riptide, and one of them even started a Facebook page to try to change the team's mind.

"Save the Manatees" has 147 supporters. "It's cold," says Angel Villarreal, better known as the booty-shaking, 280-pound Chubbalicious. "We stood by them when times were tough and got people to go to the stadium. Now the Manatees are getting the rug pulled out from under them."

We hear the Mermaids -- the Marlins' stripper-esque lady cheerleaders -- are also getting their hot pants revoked. Sean Flynn, the Marlins marketing executive who oversees the troupes, did not return Riptide's call for comment.

The Manatees have been getting down since 2008. A couple of them are classically trained dancers whose voluptuous frames precluded them from traditional gigs. Some, like the 400-pound "Tiny," became pseudo-celebrities at Sun Life Stadium. ("You got to move on with life," says Tiny-- real name Nelson Dean Clark, Jr.-- who is heading to California to train to be a Border Control agent.)

For the first couple of seasons, when the Marlins worked the guys 30 games plus a weekly three-hour rehearsal, they were paid only with a pregame buffet. Later, the team added a nominal payment of $40 to $50 per game.

But the Marlins' unspoken reasoning is clear. Now that it's a true big-league team -- thanks to a royal fleecing of taxpayers -- the bush-league sideshows are being ditched. "We danced at the groundbreaking of the new stadium," says Wesley "Mac" Boozer, formerly the Scottish-themed Manatee. "It's interesting now that it's come to fruition, we've been disowned."

Laments the Manatees' 65-year-old elder statesman, Abraham "Big Rev" Thomas, who used to gyrate his 311-pound frame in a top hat and tails: "I think it's kind of crazy. I thought most of the people enjoyed the show."

Follow Miami New Times on Facebook and Twitter @
    http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/ripti...e_miami_ma.php

Who are these people and what have they done with our real FO?

Some, like the 400-pound "Tiny," became pseudo-celebrities at Sun Life Stadium. ("You got to move on with life," says Tiny-- real name Nelson Dean Clark, Jr.-- who is heading to California to train to be a Border Control agent.)
    At that size, I think our country would be better served by incorporating him into the border fence.

Comment

"Save the Manatees" has 147 supporters. "It's cold," says Angel Villarreal, better known as the booty-shaking, 280-pound Chubbalicious. "We stood by them when times were tough and got people to go to the stadium. Now the Manatees are getting the rug pulled out from under them."
      Uh, bs

Comment

I'd rather save the mermaids.

Comment

Manatee > Mermaids.

The Mermaids were the lowest tier of cheerleaders. A lot of girls in the crowd looked better than them.
          poop

Comment

They should hire the SK Wyvern dancers.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
              Manatee > Mermaids.

The Mermaids were the lowest tier of cheerleaders. A lot of girls in the crowd looked better than them.
              The manatees were a pretty low tier of cheerleader. A lot of the girls in the crowd looked better than them too.

Comment

The only people they brought to the the stadium were their families. Not a single person ever said "I wasn't going to the Marlins game, but I really want to watch those fat guys dance for 30 seconds...".

Cutting the dance teams, and hopefully DJ, is a great move. Baseball and the ballpark are the attractions. The rest of that stuff is minor league.

Comment

A lot of teams have something cheesy like sausage races, etc. I hate the Mermaids and always have but I think the Manatees had a potential place as a Saturday or Sunday special thing.
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I would hate for them to lose their jobs, but I would get rid of the Mermaids, Manatees and that annoying as hell DJ.

Comment

They need to pay for the HR celebration and Reyes' contract.

Comment

Well as long as they're cutting the Mermaids, I'm good with the Manatees going.
                        This is a Dolphins town, though.

"Fuck, what've they done?'' --Ozzie Guillen

I am dead set against free agency, it can ruin baseball. --- George Steinbrenner

2010 SoFlaMarlins Fantasy Baseball Champion
                        Edmonton Ice Bats
                        2007 Teal League Wildcard
                        2008 Teal League Wildcard

2009 Teal League Wildcard
                        2010 Teal League Wildcard
                        2011 Teal League West Division Winner

Comment

I dont think this was anyone sole job and from what I understand they got paid jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                            Manatee > Mermaids

I'm starting to get the feeling you say things sometimes just to get a rise out of people.

Comment

Best news I'be heard in a while.. not a fan of cheerleaders at baseball games.

Comment

Working...
                              X