Trade Deadline Watch 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
    Overall, I cant complain much about what Hill and the Marlins did here. Trading Hech, Phelps, and Ramos for 8 useful prospects while not trading away any major core pieces is fine with me. I'm sure there will be more heavy lifting done in the off season, but hopefully that will be a different front office doing the work...which is what I wanted to happen. Keeping Straily is also fine. He's a quality pitcher, so no use giving him away. He will still be just as valuable in the winter/2018 trade deadline as he is now.

The 2 relievers are replaceable and it will allow Tazawa and Ziegler to work in more high-leverage situations. If they succeed over the next couple of weeks, I'm sure there will be a market for them by the August deadline.
    Yeah, I expected a couple other guys - perhaps Tazawa, Ziegler, McGowan, and Ellis - to be traded today, but is what it is I suppose.

I agree about not having this front office trade the major/core pieces.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
      Well I certainly don't like this front office, but I was good with the returns in the 3 trades. I think they got solid value back. I also didn't want them selling any core players...leave that for whoever comes next (hopefully soon).
      That's true, but to me theres no excuse not trading guys like koehler, ellis, mcgowan, ichiro. Youre not gonna get much for any of them but at least get cash considerations or a player to be named later or some very low level prospect and hope you get lucky. something.

I did like the 2 trades we did do. Just wish we sold off more pieces that i think could have netted us a couple more (albeit low level) prospects.

Comment

• I wouldn't have minded dealing off some more spare parts, but they still may in August. I doubt they are done making trades just yet. Plus, they still have to play out the season and why turn it into a complete disaster when you don't have to. Besides, given the amount of injuries on the roster, they simply may just need the bodies right now. Maybe there would have been more action if 3/4 of the INF and handful of pitchers weren't on the DL.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
          Doesn't look like the Dodgers gave up a ton, though.

I think the Dodgers made the right move. This is one of those THE TIME IS NOW moves.

But Calhoun has a monster bat and Darvish is a rental.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          This front office is inept at literally every aspect possible. Buyers? We will overpay and buy high. Sellers? We either dont sell who we should sell or end up getting underwhelming returns. Player deveopment? Nonexistent. Drafting? We are single handedly keeping James Andrews in business. There is nothing this front office is good at.

Your post reads awful. Especially right after fauowls articulated really well that the Marlins actually made good moves this year at the deadline.

Comment

• I was disappointed they didn't move more at the deadline, but many of the names that have been rumored to go I imagine will pass through waivers in August and could be traded then.

Comment

• I don't have a problem with what they did. The hot seller's market we kept hearing about seemed to cool off a bit. You really didn't see any overpays today, and actually saw some bargains. If you're not getting overwhelming offers, I'd rather just hang on to these guys and let the new baseball people make these decisions in the offseason. They still could dump some guys before the waiver deadline.

Comment

• Good point about the market. There just aren't enough buyers since so few teams are realistically in a race this year.

Comment

• Barry Jackson is reporting that we turned down offers for Straily and Gordon at the deadline.

In the case of Gordon, multiple teams tried to pry him for very little, believing the Marlins were eager to dump his contract, according to sources. But the Marlins were under no such obligation.
                  If they were going to trade Straily, they wanted at least two high-end prospects or three very good ones, according to sources - something similar to what Oakland netted earlier Monday in trading Sonny Gray to the Yankees for three prospects.

As my colleague Clark Spencer noted, Miami talked to the Brewers and Royals about Straily.
                  And a few other tidbits:

• Since returning from Tommy John surgery, Marlins prospect Tyler Kolek - picked No. 2 overall in the 2014 draft - has pitched three innings in four games, allowing three hits, 10 walks and nine runs.

“He’s progressing,” Hill said. “The guy hadn't been on a mound in 14 months. It's a process to get him back. We know he will work through it. We're happy he's healthy and can resume his career.”

• The Marlins haven’t decided if left-hander Trevor Rogers, their first-round pick in this year’s draft, will pitch for them this year. He’s a high-school player out of New Mexico.

“Like what happened last year with Braxton Garrett, the time between when they get drafted and their season ends, you just want to be careful,” Hill said. “If he pitches, he pitches. If not, it's not a concern.”

The Marlins didn’t pitch Garrett after drafting him out of high school last season, but he was injured this year and required Tommy John surgery in June.

• Hill said the Marlins have not ruled out a return this season for Wei Yin Chen, who has made only five appearances this year because of an injured left elbow. He said doctors have determined that no surgery is needed. “Just building him up, throwing bullpens,” Hill said.

He’s also “hopeful” Edinson Volquez (knee) will pitch again this season.
                  There's more at the link:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...164678407.html

So at this point hasn't Chen had elbow issues the last few years (as opposed to other injuries that have taken him out)?

Just seems like it's going to keep happening until he gets surgery, which means he'll be out another year?

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                    Yeah, I expected a couple other guys - perhaps Tazawa, Ziegler, McGowan, and Ellis - to be traded today, but is what it is I suppose.

I agree about not having this front office trade the major/core pieces.
                    Texas is who killed us. All 3 teams we talked to Colorado,Milwaukee,LAD took their guys instead of ours.

Note in the Straily to KC talk. They were trying to get Straily cheaper by taking Dee Gordon too. Talk was Raul Mondesi Jr,SP(Griffin,Blewett,Almonte) for Straily and Dee Gordon but like said weren't even close. As for Milwaukee they got a nice offer but was closer to what LA paid for Darvish then Gray.(1 Top guy who wasnt a pitcher and 2 OK guys) . LA also talked to us about Straily but the deal was Calhoun and others. We wanted more and LA prefered Darvish anyways. Were telling teams they will just wait till the offseason

Still a month for us to trade/lose guys. Hard to trade guys like Bour,Volquez,Prado,Ziegler,Bearclaw when on DL and Tazawa,Gordon,Stanton,Koehler,Locke,McGowan,AJ Ellis,Ichiro could all still be discussed

We could have traded 4/5 guys easily yesterday but weren't willing to just give guys away like other teams were.

They really aren't in that big of a rush until they get a new owner. Jeff would like to get rid of salary however not just giving guys away he would rather let the new owner deal with that.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                    Barry Jackson is reporting that we turned down offers for Straily and Gordon at the deadline.

And a few other tidbits:

There's more at the link:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...164678407.html

So at this point hasn't Chen had elbow issues the last few years (as opposed to other injuries that have taken him out)?

Just seems like it's going to keep happening until he gets surgery, which means he'll be out another year?
                    Ya the 2 options for Chen was get surgery and be out a year OR no surgery and pitch maybe 10 games a year. He decided no surgery and there u have it. We will get maybe 10 games a year for Chen until his contract runs out. Few in April and a few in Sept each year

Also in the article if u wanna know why they jumped on the Mets offer(they see him as #2 SP)

• Hill said the Marlins project Merandy Gonzalez, one of two players acquired in the A.J. Ramos deal with the Mets, as a “middle of the rotation” major league starter.

“We were excited,” Hill said. “Three pitches, athletic. Throws up to 97. [Has a] slider, changeup in place. He handles all aspects of the game. Fields his position. We’re very happy to add him to the mix.”
                    Last edited by tjfla; 08-01-2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post

Also in the article if u wanna know why they jumped on the Mets offer(they see him as #2 SP)

• Hill said the Marlins project Merandy Gonzalez, one of two players acquired in the A.J. Ramos deal with the Mets, as a “middle of the rotation” major league starter.

“We were excited,” Hill said. “Three pitches, athletic. Throws up to 97. [Has a] slider, changeup in place. He handles all aspects of the game. Fields his position. We’re very happy to add him to the mix.”
                      Which means 3 outcomes:

1) We ship him out for Cashner or the like

2) TJ surgery

3) He'll suck here and then go somewhere else and actually be what they think he'll be there.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                        Which means 3 outcomes:

1) We ship him out for Cashner or the like

2) TJ surgery

3) He'll suck here and then go somewhere else and actually be what they think he'll be there.
                        Doubtful on #1. Plan seems to be total rebuild by 2019 which is why u see them focusing on 21/22 yr olds arms Richards/Peters/Conley/Gonzalez/Poteet/Lopez/Urena as SP arms right now who they expect ready by then.

Comment

• Merandy Gonzalez is apparently like Kolek in that he has a plus 4 seam fastball but not much else. Spotty curve and change that he is still developing.

I would like to see them do the same thing with him as I would like them to do with Kolek, scrap the curve. Have him add a cutter to go hard and in on lefties, a splitter to buckle righties, continue to develop the change to use as a change of speed from the fastball, and a power sinker as his trouble pitch.
                          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                          Noah Perio
                          Jupiter
                          39 AB
                          15 H
                          0 2B
                          0 3B
                          0 HR
                          0 BB
                          .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
                            Merandy Gonzalez is apparently like Kolek in that he has a plus 4 seam fastball but not much else. Spotty curve and change that he is still developing.

I would like to see them do the same thing with him as I would like them to do with Kolek, scrap the curve. Have him add a cutter to go hard and in on lefties, a splitter to buckle righties, continue to develop the change to use as a change of speed from the fastball, and a power sinker as his trouble pitch.
                            FWIW, his curve is apparently his 2nd best pitch. The prospect review on MLB.com says he throws a very good curveball and Baseball America said it projects as "above average".

Comment

• so scrap the one off-speed pitch that works and essentially develop four other pitches all from scratch at the same time? cool

Comment

• I have a really hard time believing he's compiled a 1.78 ERA over 17 starts this year with only a 4-seam fastball. I don't care if it's only A-Ball.

Comment

Working...
                                X