Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Training Notes

Here are some spring notes from what I've observed:

Solano has been tearing the cover off the ball, and finally got a couple of those to show for yesterday.

Matt Angle (competing for OF bench spot) has been surprisingly good from what I've seen. He can drive the ball into the gaps and plays his heart out.

Kevin Slowey and Tom Koehler have been outstanding and they are in the lead for the 5th spot by far.

Brad Hand needs to keep working on his control.

Jake Marisnick continues to look terrible at the plate. His batting stance and swing are both very ugly and I do not see that translated well at the ML level. He needs some major tweaks if he expects to hit in the big leagues. Obviously, his speed and defense look great.

Dietrich hasn't done a bad job. He has actually been terrific defensively and could be hitting much better if a few balls would have dropped in.

Ozuna seems to be swinging at everything, which is expected from him as he is a free swinger; however, he needs to make sure the ball hits the bat more often.

JoFez and Henderson Alvarez look great. They have been efficient and they have their stuff working for them.

Eovaldi and Turner have been the complete opposite of JoFez and Henderson Alvarez. They get ahead of hitters and end up falling behind in the count (VERY frustrating).

Joe Benson has been terrible and I can't see him lasting longer than the first round of cuts.

Jeff Baker has been tearing the cover off the ball.

Garrett Jones has looked lost at the plate.

Mathis is doing a great job at the plate. I'm not sure if he improved his swings, but he seems to be making a lot more contact this spring.

I didn't even know we signed Matt Angle.

Comment

@Manny_Navarro: Jacob Turner's pitching line for the #Marlins today: 2 1/3 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 54 pitches, 35 strikes.
      Twitter

Heaney bailed him out with a man on 1st and 3rd and 1 out in the 3rd. Heaney has been very impressive thus far.

Comment

Heaney did get roughed up in his 2nd inning, though.

Comment

Eovaldi seems to be doing fine, statistically.

Either way, it's all pretty irrelevant because these are all small samples and it's Spring Training.

Comment

^ this
            STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Giancarlo just had a great, long at-bat. He hit the ball extremely hard and long, but it was foul. Two pitches later he hit a two-run bomb. His second homerun in as many days.
              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Redmond is going to have a tough time making decisions if some of these guys stay hot. Dietrich is making a case for them to put him in the lineup. Radio commentators were saying that if Ozuna keeps struggling and Dietrich keeps hitting, maybe they move Yelich to CF and Dietrich to LF. The Fish have done similar moves previously such as moving LoMo and Cogs to LF due to their bats.

Hech is still a waste of an AB. I'd like to see the Fish do something about that (move Furcal back to SS or Dietrich to SS?).

*Note: Reed Johnson went 5 for 5 today.

Comment

18 at bats for Hechavarria.

I don't expect him to hit, but deciding jobs based on 4 games of ABs is hilarious.

Comment

It's a continuation of bad ABs, not just this spring.

Comment

Highlight of spring training for the Marlins: http://deadspin.com/marlins-dad-aban...ble-1541200832

Comment

Haha I saw that yesterday, it was awesome! Luckily the kid was ok. I love how the kid stays in the stroller completely blatant to the fact that he's about to hit the fence. Seemed kinda big for the stroller too.

Comment

@CDeNicola13: #Marlins projected rotation of Fernandez, Eovaldi, Alvarez, Turner, Koehler has a combined 1.47 ERA this spring. Slowey (0.00), Hand (0.75).
                          Twitter

Comment

This season has to end in a pile, right?

Comment

Looks like Brad Hand is gonna be the odd man out-word is we are shopping him around the league. Arizona,LAA,Minnesota,San Diego have interest.

Rotation
                              Fernandez
                              Alvarez
                              Eovaldi
                              Turner
                              Koehler or Slowey with other one as Long Relief

Comment

Working...
                              X