Marlins Acquire Andrew Cashner and Colin Rea from Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
    Yep, I hate to sound like tj, but this trade reaks of Loria.
    Other than Capps its not a bad deal. U give up a 1B/DH prospect whose only skill is power(not really shown in Left handed bats heaven),a SP who most consider a RP who has looked good in a pitchers paradise and Cosart who is crap for 2 rotation guys

Comment

• We can all agree that the deal absolutely sucks for the Marlins organization, but in the meantime, the 2016 Marlins are a better team today.

Jose-Conley-Cashner-Koehler-Rea with this defense just might work. Maybe add Urena to an already stacked bullpen.

If Gordon reverts to 80% of his 2015 form and if Ozuna can end his regression...I'd have to guess we're favored to put Jose on the hill for a wild card game, and then who knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
        Don't get the need for Capps to be included.
        Unless they saw something Guerrero like the Bearclaw deal? Still weird tho especially when u got Ellington,Steckeinreider, Brice in the minors too. No real need for Guerrero?

Comment

• I'm not sure if Rea should automatically take Urena's spot, though. Maybe send him to AAA, have Benedict work with him every day, until Urena eventually shits the bed then bring him up.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            Other than Capps its not a bad deal. U give up a 1B/DH prospect whose only skill is power(not really shown in Left handed bats heaven),a SP who most consider a RP who has looked good in a pitchers paradise and Cosart who is crap for 2 rotation guys
            you can't just say "other than" and then take out a major piece of the deal, first of all. 2nd of all, regardless of Naylor's future for us, he certainly has more value than yet another #5 starter, who is a free agent at the end of the year on top of that.

The 2 rotation guys are not good. Cashner hasnt been good in about 2 years, Rea is worse than Koehler, and we just traded away our 2 top prospects, a guy we traded the #6 pick in the draft for 2 years ago, and a top 10 relief pitcher in baseball when healthy for no reason.

This is an abolutely terrible deal for the marlins from the start and in about 2-3 years is gonna look even worse. I'd have no problem if we were able to get a #2/3 kind of rotation guy in this deal, that is going for it. This is fucking pathetic.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
              I'm not sure if Rea should automatically take Urena's spot, though. Maybe send him to AAA, have Benedict work with him every day, until Urena eventually shits the bed then bring him up.
              Certainly a possibility too.

Comment

• It's so Marlins that at a time where mediocre RPs are returning quality prospects, they add Capps in as a throw-in after already overpaying. Yes, he had TJ, but he's one of the better relievers if he comes back healthy.

I also look forward to Cosart outpitching Cashner these last few months of the season because that's how it works for the Marlins.

Comment

• Aw perfect, the RP we got fits right in, 190 walks in 288 career minor league innings.

Comment

• I think for the second time in a month Marlins got fleeced by the Padres.
                    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Benedict is based in Jupiter, so you'd have to send him to A ball.

Comment

• Feel like there's alot of ifs with Capps

not like he's Eric Gagne in his prime

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                          Benedict is based in Jupiter, so you'd have to send him to A ball.
                          Yep the routine for all NEW pitchers(DFA,FA signings) has been sent to Jupiter for a week or so and let Benedict work with u. Then u get an assignment-if u work out good and if not see ya

Comment

• This can essentially be broken down into Cosart, Capps, Paddock, Naylor, and Castillo for Rodney, Cashner, Rae, and Guerrero.

Not all that sexy. And I don't even care that much about the players sent away outside of Paddock.
                            Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                            Noah Perio
                            Jupiter
                            39 AB
                            15 H
                            0 2B
                            0 3B
                            0 HR
                            0 BB
                            .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                              Benedict is based in Jupiter, so you'd have to send him to A ball.
                              Loria can't pony up a couple hundred bucks to send him to New Orleans for a week?

Comment

• he's the VP of pitching development, you go to him.

Comment

Working...
                                X