X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
    I like newguy.

Now lets run him off

I was actually thinking that last night.

NewGuy can't be real, boys.

We haven't had a new, good regular poster since Scott Olsen was relevant.

Comment

• 05 team only had 3/5s of a rotation and the bullpen was terrible.

Add in half the lineup underachieving and that was that.
      --------------------
      looking back on that team now, it's kind of impressive that Delgado/Cabrera/Willis/Beckett/Burnett kept them in the race as long as they did.
      --------------------
      Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
      2005 was the absolute worst

I still say that was the best team we ever had on paper, 97 and 03 included
      They were picked to win the NL by more than one national preview, if I remember right.

I still think 97 was better on paper. That team was flat out loaded, 92-70 and won the wild card and were considered kind of disappointing until that October run.
      Last edited by HUGG; 11-21-2014, 10:32 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
        2005 team, for me, will always be remembered for being tied for the Wild Card with 15 games left and then losing 10 of those.
        The AJ Burnett walk to Clemens in Houston sums that season up.
        --------------------
        Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
        2005 was the absolute worst

I still say that was the best team we ever had on paper, 97 and 03 included
        '05 was absolutely loaded. '97 was probably slightly better because you had top-to-bottom talent. '05, if there was a weakness on paper, it's that we were counting on Mota to do a hell of a lot, which he didn't do. '97 had the lineup, the rotation and 2 established relievers (Nen, Cook) with two younger guys with good upside (Powell, Heredia).

The '05 lineup was probably the best on paper in franchise history. Dark horse for that though is 2007.
        Last edited by Swifty; 11-21-2014, 10:44 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Just one on the long list of season ending losses to Houston

:-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post

I was actually thinking that last night.

NewGuy can't be real, boys.

We haven't had a new, good regular poster since Scott Olsen was relevant.
            Was Scott Olsen ever "relevant"?
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• I have a black Scott Olsen jersey.

Not my wisest purchase.

Comment

• I'll always remember 2005 for seeing Robert Andino getting an absurd amount of playing time in September.

...and I love you guys too.

Comment

• The one in 2012 I have gotten over and am happy that it happened since we were only pissed about it because it seemed like a salary dump. Those guys have been shit or worse in Toronto and elsewhere and we got the better end of that trade. I was angry as all hell when it happened but now with two years of hindsight, I agree with the organization when they say "2012 was a failure."
                  Reyes and Buehrle haven't been bad, and those were the two main things.

The reason 2012 was a failure was we weren't a good team before the signings, which is something a lot of people forget. ZIPs had us winning just 84 games.

Zambrano and Nolasco was 2/5ths of our rotation, JJ was coming back from surgery, and we returned a bullpen that ranked 8th in WAR in the NL. ZIPs projected that our staff would finish 10th in runs.

So we were going in with a below average staff, hoping that Zambrano and Nolasco turned it around (they didn't) and JJ would come back in ace form (he didn't).

Meanwhile, our bullpen was so bad that Chad fucking Gaudin finished with the most IP out of the pen. Mujica, Dunn, and Webb did all take a step backwards (and that is something we have to worry about when looking forward to 2015), and Heath Bell was the worst signing this organization has ever had and that's say something with giving Wes Helms and Gregg Dobbs multi year deals. We signed a mid-30's RP who's K/9 dropped by nearly 4 the previous year! No one thought it would turn out this badly, but this isn't hindsight. We all derided it at the time.

The team was dumb for thinking we were a contender with that pitching staff. The offense was suppose to carry us (Zips had us tied-4th in runs), but then Jose Reyes was the only starter to not be injured (lol) and Hanley, Logan, Gaby, and Boni all fell off cliffs. Carlos Lee and Gregg Dobbs were among our team leaders in PA.

The reason we were that bad in 2012 was shit luck with injuries and players not living up to what they were suppose to be. But we were never really suppose to be good. It was just plain a bad idea to go on a spending spree then when instead we already needed to rebuild.

But out of the three contracts we did sign, only Bell's was a bad signing and we all knew it at the time. They have both averaged ~3 WAR on both BR and FG over the past 3 years. That's not bad, at all, with what they're AAV is. In comparison, Alvarez and Hech (the only two contributors thus far) combined for a 2.8 fWAR last year (5.2 bWAR but Alvarez really outperformed his peripherals).

We needed to rebuild and the trade was smart and put us in a better position. But there was nothing wrong with the Reyes and Buehrle contracts. The problem was with the rest of the team.

Comment

• Reyes has a .744 OPS and has missed 88 games in his two years. Buerhle was bad, and then was good. ERA+ of 106 overall.

That's not good for their contracts.

Comment

• I'm not talking about the trade, I'm talking about the signings. So all three years. They were not bad signings. Reyes has averaged over 130 games those three years (which is what to expect out of him) and Buerhle was, at worst, average. ~3 war per season is what to expect on the market with those AAV

Comment

• Fair

Comment

• You could argue still though that they were bad signings considering the amount of money the Marlins and Blue Jays have paid those guys and how disproportionate it is to their actual worth. Buerhle is basically going to get $11-13 million per win next season.

Comment

• When asked for his reaction to Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton's 13-year, $325 million extension, president Frank Coonelly chuckled and said, “It seems like Monopoly money, doesn't it?”

Coonelly then got off his stool on the stage and stepped toward the crowd. He talked about an exchange he had with Miami Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria and president David Samson during the recent owner's meetings.

“They thought it was a great deal,” Coonelly said. “I just couldn't get my head around the $325 million. They said to me, ‘You don't understand. (Stanton) has an out clause after six years. Those first six years are only going to cost $107 million. After that, he'll leave and play for somebody else. So, it's not really $325 million.' “
                            http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/7...#axzz3Lpi5I4SY

Comment

• BIG BUCKS AND FUNNY MONEY

When asked for his reaction to Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton's 13-year, $325 million extension, president Frank Coonelly chuckled and said, “It seems like Monopoly money, doesn't it?”

Coonelly then got off his stool on the stage and stepped toward the crowd. He talked about an exchange he had with Miami Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria and president David Samson during the recent owner's meetings.

“They thought it was a great deal,” Coonelly said. “I just couldn't get my head around the $325 million. They said to me, ‘You don't understand. (Stanton) has an out clause after six years. Those first six years are only going to cost $107 million. After that, he'll leave and play for somebody else. So, it's not really $325 million.' “

The implication from Coonelly is that the Marlins signed Stanton to a record-setting deal with the expectation that he will bolt when it's only halfway complete.
                              http://triblive.com/mobile/7370405-9...pirates-morton

Even if Loria was stupid enough to say this in a conversation with someone else, its even dumber for the Pirates to bring it to light in this manor.

Comment

• Well, of course. Everyone here knows that.

Comment

Working...
                                X