• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's my thing.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Wittgren has been awful at AA. He's not getting on the 40 man roster.

Comment

• A Marlins official told Cafardo there’s no reason they won’t add a player through a trade. The National League East seems wide open, and they believe that they can find their way to the playoffs, even without the services of Jose Fernandez. Miami has lots of pieces to offer, so they shouldn’t have trouble finding a match over the next couple of months.
        MLBtraderumors

Didn't want to start a new thread for this. They need to get as many good relievers as possible. That is all.

Comment

• Giving up more assets to try to compete this year is stupid.

Comment

• Well, if we got a SS (and/or maybe 2b/3b, since McGee is old with a high BABIP and no power and the FO hates Dietrich) that would stick around for a few years, I have no problem parting with anybody at all in the minors not named Heaney. Everyone else is pretty disposable, and that's pretty big needs for us not just for competing this year, but in the future.

That said, what the FO actually means is that they're looking to overpay for either players who were good 10 years ago but suck now or relief pitchers who walk a batter an inning, while keeping an average 2b in the minors to start Solano/Lucas/Furcal/Tejada and parading around the worst regular in all of baseball as one of the best SS.

Fuck this team. Jesus Christ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
              Giving up more assets to try to compete this year is stupid.
              If there's a chance to win the division or earn a wildcard spot, then why not? If it wasn't for our bullpen, we would probably be 3-4 games ahead in our division.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                If there's a chance to win the division or earn a wildcard spot, then why not? If it wasn't for our bullpen, we would probably be 3-4 games ahead in our division.
                Because there's no chance.
                --------------------
                Originally posted by nny View Post
                Well, if we got a SS (and/or maybe 2b/3b, since McGee is old with a high BABIP and no power and the FO hates Dietrich) that would stick around for a few years, I have no problem parting with anybody at all in the minors not named Heaney. Everyone else is pretty disposable, and that's pretty big needs for us not just for competing this year, but in the future.

That said, what the FO actually means is that they're looking to overpay for either players who were good 10 years ago but suck now or relief pitchers who walk a batter an inning, while keeping an average 2b in the minors to start Solano/Lucas/Furcal/Tejada and parading around the worst regular in all of baseball as one of the best SS.

Fuck this team. Jesus Christ.
                Yeah, if it's a piece that improves us for the foreseeable future, that's cool.

But I'm expecting another Dominguez for Carlos Lee trade.
                Last edited by Mainge; 06-09-2014, 01:36 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I wouldn't be suprised to see us deal Dietrich for a bullpen arm. The FO(Loria) hates him and like nny said he is already an average 2B

As for the 40 man crunch,I didn't mean it as we needed to make room on it. I meant it more as they are looking to deal guys on it(Marisnick,Brantley,Sanchez,Jensen) rather than guys not on(Romero,Wittgren,Conley,Brice) since they could use the spot instead of DFA the guy eventually.

Comment

• With Heaney most likely coming up very soon, I'm assuming by this weekend, I would like to see what they do with the rotation. Will Turner go to bullpen or Wolf? We have to remember that Hand is coming back soon too. Having 4 lefties (Dunn, Jennings, Hand and Wolf) out of the bullpen may be too much, so maybe they're considering leaving Wolf in rotation and sending Turner to bullpen. We can always send Jennings down too.

Comment

• Improvement for this club means a bullpen arm, plain and simple. Adeiny isn't going anywhere since he's a "Gold Glover" and is hitting .260 and this FO is still stuck on batting average. McGehee isn't going anywhere because he has lots of RBIs and has hit well with RISP, BABIP notwithstanding. So the only places they have to upgrade are 2B and the bullpen. We have so many 2B I can't imagine them acquiring one since a) I don't know that there's an upgrade available; b) they still think Furcal is the answer; c) they love Ed Lucas. So...I expect another bullpen arm.
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                        Because there's no chance.
                        --------------------

Yeah, if it's a piece that improves us for the foreseeable future, that's cool.

But I'm expecting another Dominguez for Carlos Lee trade.
                        I think we have a better chance than "no chance," for what it's worth.

Comment

• No chance is hyperbole.

I can see it if everything goes our way. Koehler needs to keep up his mirage of great SPing. Stanton needs to stay healthy for the first time in his career. Heaney needs to be as good as advertised immediately. Probably need to get more out of one of Yelich/Ozuna. McGeehee needs to sustain his BABIP success. Turner/Wolf need to be better. And we need to avoid injuries to the rotation, our pitching depth isn't great. Dietrich needs to come back up and be more consistent.

I think our real chance went out the window with Fernandez.

Next year could be the year but I wonder what we're going to do about the infield. Hech needs to be replaced, we need a platoon mate for Dietrich at second. Jones and Mcgeehee are real question marks going forward as older players that probably can't be counted on to maintain their succes through the next few years.
                          Last edited by Mainge; 06-09-2014, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                            Improvement for this club means a bullpen arm, plain and simple. Adeiny isn't going anywhere since he's a "Gold Glover" and is hitting .260 and this FO is still stuck on batting average. McGehee isn't going anywhere because he has lots of RBIs and has hit well with RISP, BABIP notwithstanding. So the only places they have to upgrade are 2B and the bullpen. We have so many 2B I can't imagine them acquiring one since a) I don't know that there's an upgrade available; b) they still think Furcal is the answer; c) they love Ed Lucas. So...I expect another bullpen arm.
                            If they are serious, they need a good SP and a new SS starter. Bullpen isn't going to have the impact they need and they do have a lot of arms still, and I don't see them going for a 2B when the can sufficiently fake it there with Lucas, Baker, Solano, and maybe Furcal (ignoring Dietrich for below).

I think the Cubs are a really good team match. They could go for Hammel and Bonifacio(SS), and they could probably throw in a reliever too and maybe Ruggiano/Schierholtz if they want one of them for the bench. There is probably a match somewhere for a grouping of Koehler/Turner (one of whom wouldn't be needed with Eovaldi, Alvarez, Heaney and "Hammel"), Dietrich, and two of Nicolino/Conley/DeScalfani/Urena/Flynn. I would have to imagine the Cubs would be thrilled turning those guys into young arms and a hitting infielder and being able to trade Samardzija for a big something else.

Of course Loria would have to take on around $4 million bucks to do that.

Which is why if they are serious, they should do this right now so if they aren't contending last week in July, they can re-trade.
                            --------------------
                            Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                            I think our real chance went out the window with Fernandez.
                            I agree with this, but I do think there is something to be said for the development of a team to show belief in them and let them experience meaningful games in August and god willingly September. They can try and help the growth curve here. I'm not big into intangibles, but if there is a shot at keeping Stanton, this might help.
                            Last edited by lou; 06-10-2014, 07:45 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Yes, but my point is that they can be serious and also not be realistic. They are not the most stats-inclined front office, and if they look at Hechavarria they will see a guy they think is a Gold Glover who's hitting .260. In their eyes, that's not bad. Clearly they see a hole at 2B since they signed Tejada and demoted Dietrich. Hill is on record saying any SP improvements will come from within. So it doesn't leave much to be upgraded in their eyes, even if they're serious about contending, because they see the team differently.
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                                I'm not big into intangibles, but if there is a shot at keeping Stanton, this might help.
                                I hadn't considered that but that has some validity, I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X