There's Shrewd, There's Genius, Then There's Marlins Owner Jeffrey Loria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
    Graham Taylor made three starts after five seasons in the minors.
    --------------------
    But they were really significant starts.
    Yeah he made a lot of extra money making those three starts.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonCane View Post
      Because no high school kid is going to walk away from a huge pay day. A lot can happen in one year. They can get injured, not live up to their potential, and you'll now be competing against a bunch of equally talented, younger prospects in next year's draft.

The vast majority of kids who opt for your route will end up dropping in draft position and losing out on hundreds of thousands of dollars. Very stupid decision.
      Well then why didn't they take Jason Heyward ? He was drafted after we took Matt Dominguez, and was considered more of a sure bet than even Stanton at the time. Hell in that draft they could of had Arencibia instead of Dominguez.

I've always heard that Heyward told them he would go to college if they took him. Doesn't that threat get bigger now that we are considered the scumbag franchise ?

By the way, Heyward's younger brother signed a LOI with the U of Miami a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Matt Dominguez was being compared to Ryan Zimmerman, that's why they took Dominguez. There's no conspiracy here.

They always wanted Dominguez.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
          I would actually argue players would love to be drafted by the Marlins as they aggressively move players through the system and tons of guys who wouldn't make it in other organizations (Graham Taylor, Gorkys Hernandez, Donnie Murphy) are given significant opportunities to contribute.

It doesn't become shitty to be a Marlin until you turn really good like Stanton. Morrison is lucky he is here.
          I guess I see your point. It's just I see this from a viewpoint of being a Marlins fan, and look at anyone that has a choice (which I guess I have too) and why would they put themselves in the position of being laughed at for being a part of our organization.

Comment

what player is being laughed at for being a Major League Baseball player?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
              Working for the Marlins is a joke right now.

I'm sure players around the leagues talk to each other, and many of them feel sorry for their brethren that wear the Marlins uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by oakelmpine View Post
                I've always heard that Heyward told them he would go to college if they took him. Doesn't that threat get bigger now that we are considered the scumbag franchise ?
                Again, any high school student who makes that decision will become a cautionary tale for future drafts. A lot of that is bluster to get a better offer, but, once you put the money on the table, it's really difficult for a teenage kid to walk away. Always will be.

Comment

Again, any high school student who makes that decision will become a cautionary tale for future drafts. A lot of that is bluster to get a better offer, but, once you put the money on the table, it's really difficult for a teenage kid to walk away. Always will be.
                  So do you think Loria will put more money into his drafts now that its become the only way we'll get an infusion of talent ? That I also heard was a reason why the Marlins usually sign less of their draft picks than most teams. Or is that true ? I did hear that this week on several TV shows.

Comment

So do you think Loria will put more money into his drafts now that its become the only way we'll get an infusion of talent ? That I also heard was a reason why the Marlins usually sign less of their draft picks than most teams. Or is that true ? I did hear that this week on several TV shows.
                    This isn't true.
                    --------------------
                    Working for the Marlins is a joke right now.

I'm sure players around the leagues talk to each other, and many of them feel sorry for their brethren that wear the Marlins uniform.
                    Half the Marlins wouldn't even be on a major league roster right now if not for the fact they cleaned house. I'm sure most (outside of Stanton and LoMo) are just happy to be on a major league roster or even have a job.
                    Last edited by Ramp; 11-17-2012, 08:11 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Didn't our most recent first-rounder's agent say like the day before the signing deadline that they were some gigantic number apart and that he would go back to school? These dudes talk a lot, but they don't walk from money.
                      poop

Comment

This isn't true.
                        --------------------

Half the Marlins wouldn't even be on a major league roster right now if not for the fact they cleaned house. I'm sure most (outside of Stanton and LoMo) are just happy to be on a major league roster or even have a job.
                        Well that's good to hear that is a myth.

As for the 2nd part, that is scary. We have way to many marginal players and that doesn't bode well for this season.

But you guys seem to think this is all about 2014 anyways. Okay I'll accept that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                          Didn't our most recent first-rounder's agent say like the day before the signing deadline that they were some gigantic number apart and that he would go back to school? These dudes talk a lot, but they don't walk from money.
                          Yup. He signed for the exact amount we had previously offered.

Comment

Everyone I know laughed at Gaby Sanchez for a year. He was that bad. None of Gaby's peers laugh at him but he is laughable.

Comment

Working...
                            X