Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marlins Organization to Get Thorough Post-season Review from "angry" Jeffrey Loria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW YORK -- The winter was fun for the Marlins. The summer has been dreadful.

In the winter, the Marlins had new money, new players, a new ballpark and a new manager who was "a perfect fit," in the words of club president David Samson.

In the summer, the new players mostly failed, the new ballpark was almost never full and the new manager, well . . .

"I don't think any of us feel we're the perfect fit right now," Samson said Tuesday, before a 4-2 win over the Mets that improved the Marlins' record to just 50-60.

What the Marlins tried didn't work, something they acknowledged by becoming a seller at the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. They made four trades, and they wouldn't have minded making one or two more.

But the bigger changes could be still to come.

The strong belief around the Marlins is that this season's failures will lead owner Jeffrey Loria to shake up his long-stable front office. The moves could be drastic, and could extend to the top of the team's baseball structure, where Larry Beinfest could be replaced.

Beinfest has run the baseball operations department for all 11 years that Loria has owned the Marlins, first as general manager and more recently as president, baseball operations.

Loria declined comment Tuesday. Samson would only say that "we're all worried [about jobs], and we should be."

It appears that manager Ozzie Guillen will survive whatever moves are made, although nothing is certain and some Marlins people believe that there will be changes on his coaching staff. Guillen has three years remaining on a contract that pays him $2.5 million a season.

The Marlins' failures this year have been dramatic, and their problems going forward are very real. While Samson said they "expect to contend" in 2013, two scouts who cover the Marlins organization said Tuesday they think that's an unrealistic goal.

"They're the worst team in that [National League East] division, and they have nothing in Triple-A or Double-A that's going to change that," one of the scouts said.

But Samson said, "There is no rebuilding. There's retooling."

Retooling this roster won't be easy. Because of the big contracts handed out last winter, the Marlins already have $63.75 million committed to six players for next year. Of those six, the only one with significant trade value is pitcher Josh Johnson, and moving him would create a big hole at the top of the rotation.

With attendance below expectations this year at Marlins Park, and with even Marlins people acknowledging that it will likely fall next year, it's hard to imagine the payroll going up in 2013. The Marlins began this year with a $101.6 million payroll, and will end up paying less than that after the July trades.

It's not at all clear how much of this is Beinfest's fault. Many people around the Marlins believe that Loria himself makes all the major decisions on players.

As Samson said, though, "At the end of the day, he counts on us to help him win."

Many outside the organization have long believed that the Marlins front office has been a house divided, with Beinfest and his allies on one side, and Dan Jennings (who holds the title of vice president, player personnel) on the other. Some believe that Loria could choose Jennings to replace Beinfest.

Marlins people say it's still not clear how things will play out, but it is clear that this will be another interesting winter in South Florida.

It may not be as exciting as last winter, but it could be just as fascinating.

"They probably don't need an exciting winter," said one baseball man who follows the Marlins closely. "They need a productive winter. Quietly. Under the radar. No Showtime. No F-bomb counts.

"Just productive."

In other words, nothing like this summer.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/da...es-for-marlins

Comment

So we don't know who the hell has exactly been making the decisions for this organization.

Comment

It's like the late 90's Yankees, just without the endless resources, extravagant spending, winning tradition, and championships!

Comment

so like the 80's Yankees?
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Doesn't Jennings play a bigger role in scouting for the draft?

Comment

If they just promote Jennings, that's idiotic. If they make changes, they need to clear house and start fresh, and have Loria stop meddling if he indeed is the one who signed Buck and Bell, and refused to listen to front office for 2 years about Hanley if they really did want to get rid of him. Promoting from within will just continue this culture and nothing would change. This makes me think about Valentine spurning them. For as shitty a job he is doing in Boston, I think his decision making process of not taking the job is starting to become really clear.

As for having a quiet and productive offseason, that might make sense on a baseball level of bringing in a CF, then adequate 1 year platoon/stopgap options to round out 3B, LF, bench and pen, but that is doing nothing for the fan base. They need to substantial things to try and win over the casuals. I won't complain because I enjoy $2 stub hub tickets, but they really can't operate like that.
              --------------------
              It would actually be pretty cool for the casuals (and baseball sense) if they did something totally radical like, fire the entire front office, bring in presumably veteran baseball people for FO, then show the fuck off:

Internal
              -Stanton 7 year arb/fa buyout. He's the franchise, and this move saves money longterm. a Duh move.
              -Bonifacio, 3 years. Gets 1 FA year of Bonifacio which is super helpful considering no starting caliber 2B three years in system. Bonifacio deserves some guaranteed cash, he's worth it. fans love him. He'll give up 1 FA year for guaranteed cash, fills longterm issue.
              -Morrison, 3 years. Buys out Arb 1 and 2. Fans love him, he's worth a "cheap" gamble he turns back into form. This wouldn't cost more than 3/$5-6. Seriously. Also allows him a big Arb 3 if he kills it.
              -Make Ricky Nolasco 'Brett Myers' and move him to the bullpen. Seriously, fuck the payroll. Dude is not a starter despite FIP dreams. He'd probably be awesome.
              -Eovaldi to bullpen. Don't dick around with potential 4/5 SP that have 2 pitches. Make him David Hernandez now without the 2 years of shitty starting.
              -Promote Turner SP4
              -Keep LeBlanc SP5

External
              -Trade Hand, Conley, Ozuna, 1-2 power arm RP prospect (urena/ramos/reed/rosario/caminero), and Coghlan to Minnesota for Span and Perkins. Locks down CF cheaper then FA and gets a premier lefty reliever, Minnesota gets a ton of (lefty) young pitching, a kind of significant corner OF prospect, and can take a flyer on Coghlan for a year. This also clears $30 million off Minnesota's books next 3 seasons.
              -Sign a legitimate # 3 SP, even Anibal back on a 3/$36. The money works
              -Sign J. Peralta for 2 years to man 3B
              -Sign A. Jones/Hairston/J. Gomes to help Ruggiano in LF
              -Sign a veteran catcher, like Torrealba, for 2 years. Backup Buck this season, ease in Brantly next
              -Sign another veteran Greg Dobbs type bat that can play 2B or 3B so Bonifacio can move around if needed
              -Hand out legit milb deals to fill out AAA with 3-4 fringe bench caliber guys

Team is

SS Reyes
              CF Span
              RF Stanton
              1B Morrison
              LF Ruggiano and A. Jones/Hairston/J. Gomes
              3B Peralta
              2B Bonifacio
              C Buck
              B - Dobbs, A. Jones/Hairston/J. Gomes, Veteran catcher/Torrelaba, Veteran 2B/3B, Solano/25th

SP - Johnson, Buerhle, FA # 3 SP/Anibal, Turner, LeBlanc
              RP - Bell, Cishek, Perkins, Nolasco, Eovaldi, Webb, and Dunn

AAA - Brantly, Cox, Cousins, milb free agents
              AA - Yelich, C. James, Fernandez(midseason)

I don't have the excel in front of me, but roundball I am pretty sure this is.... $105-110 million.

Which is matching 2012's payroll, and adding the money saved by trading Anibal, Infante, Choate, and Hanley (roughly $8-9 million). I'm not sure how ownership can bitch about keeping the same payroll and reinvesting what was saved into establishing the brand. I think no casual fan would bitch about them saying, we're sorry, we fucked up, things have changed, we are reinvesting all of that immediately for a "grand reopening" and here we go again.

As baseball wise, post 2013 Johnson, Nolasco, Buck, Veteran OF, and Veteran 2B/3B, (between $32-35 million in payroll), would come off books and pay for internal significant raises to Reyes, Buerhle, Stanton, Span, Bonifacio, and Morrison. Team could promote Fernandez, Yelich, Brantly, Cox, and any RP to immediately plug all those holes. Depending on how the team is doing, fan response, then they could decide if its worth supercharging the team and keeping JJ and getting to the $120+ salary threshold as a contender, or letting him walk, take the picks, and hoping Turner, Fernandez, Morrison, Yelich, and Brantly, turn the corner to make them a contender.
              --------------------
              I look forward to none of this happening and Gorkys getting 300 PA
              Last edited by lou; 08-08-2012, 09:32 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Lou do you think Dan Jennings (the pitcher) has no future with this team?
                --------------------
                And would we touch Hamilton at all? Didn't we look at him in the Rule V draft before the Cubs took him?
                Last edited by Miamarlin21; 08-08-2012, 12:45 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Hamilton didn't cost $140+ million on a 7 year deal out of the rule V draft. I don't see that happening.

And Jennings, as well as any club controlled reliever on the team with options, I don't see them going anywhere but they aren't exactly guys you build the team around.

Comment

Working...
                  X