No announcement yet.

Marlins Close To Signing Edinson Volquez to Two Year Deal worth 22 mil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transacion: Marlins Close To Signing Edinson Volquez to Two Year Deal worth 22 mil

[tweet]803412146113552384[/tweet]

- - - - - - - - - -

[tweet]803413802096148480[/tweet]

was just coming to post this. i don't mind buying low on him after a rough year last year, but i think 2/22 isn't actually buying low

- - - - - - - - - -

inb4 hugg mentions how volquez's best season was with pittsburgh and now he's reunited with jim benedict
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

http://calltothepen.com/2016/11/27/m...uy-low-option/

Comment

dont hate it. I dont know why i always get him and cueto confused. He's very up and down but as far as a free agent starter we could do worse, and not terrible money. plus 2 years so if he rebounds and we stink we can trade him. Im cool with it. Not many options available.

Comment

Interestingly, they say he'd probably get a 1 year "prove it" deal at $10M. The Marlins gave him essentially that per year for two years. Going by that logic, it was decent value. In this pitching market where Cashner just got $10M, I don't think you can really call it overpaying. The Marlins badly needed to sign a quality starting pitcher, and this is a fairly high-upside move.

Comment

Yeah I don't mind the 2nd year...especially since I'm hoping it's another sign Loria is going to sell next year and doesn't care what he will cost in 2018...

Comment

So lets just say it off the bat. Volquez was bad last year. There's no going around it.

However, there's one start he had that just drives me insane. He pitched 1 inning and gave up 11 ER. Without that start his ERA is 4.87. Again, that sucks. However, if you look around the numbers are still signs that he's a good pitcher that suffered from a huge deal of inconsistency last year. Basically Ricky Nolasco syndrome.

Look, if this was a four year deal I'd be complaining without a doubt. However, 2 years is far from a real commitment.

This is an acceptable risk. If Volquez absolutely blows it isn't a franchise set back kind of moment. If he succeeds, you have a legitimate #2/#3 pitcher the next two years.

It's definitely a worthwhile chance. However, this definitely can't be the only signing or pitcher move the Marlins make. Volquez alone doesn't add too many wins to the total next year.

- - - - - - - - - -

I still want Doug Fister and for the team to trade Ozuna for a guy like Wacha/Bauer. Volquez is likely one of those signings that won't work out, but with their resources is the best they'll try.

The big key was not locking up too many resources in our free agent signings. There's a significant chance this team will be re-designed for 2018 so lets not put any real resources outside the core team (Yelich, Stanton, Realmuto, maybe Gordon).

Comment

If we could get Bauer for Ozuna we kind of have to do that. It really wouldnt take much to do that and then sign an OF.

Comment

I don't think it's a bad move for either the player or the team. I'm honestly more interested to see how the money is distributed. If it's heavily backloaded I think that's another indicator this might be the last year of Loria.

Comment

I know a lot of people don't care about consistency but even in a bad year Volquez is fairly consistent in the number of innings pitched. 21 of his 34 starts he went 6 innings or more. In 2015 he did same number. He's a legitimate innings eater who will help ease the bullpen on most days (he has the Nolasco factor or being really bad when he doesn't have it though).

Comment

Edinson Volquez velocity has stayed steady last 3 years as has his K and BB rates...he might be my pick for Comeback Player of the Year in 2017. I thought it was a good gamble for 2yrs $22 million by the Marlins.

Jim Bowden, ESPN Senior Writer

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                        So lets just say it off the bat. Volquez was bad last year.
                        1.5 WAR in a bad year. I'll take that in a heartbeat for 2 yrs/$20.

- - - - - - - - - -

MLB.com reporting it's a done deal at 2/$22 million

- - - - - - - - - -

HUGH fan of this signing. HUGH.

Comment

I'm not sure how he was worth a win and a half last season. Even if you take out that horrendous start one or two bad ones he was still something of a 4.50 ERA pitcher at best. At best he was just under Tom Koehler level of being a replacement caliber player. That's not the pitcher I think he could be, but if he pitches like 2016 for us next season then this will be a bad signing.

- - - - - - - - - -

It is pretty messed up that we're paying a higher price for Volquez than the Royals paid for him in the 2014 offseason. He got 2 years, $20 million at the age of 31 coming off a 3.04 ERA season and is now getting 2 years, $22 million after a much worse season.

This deal looks better in my eyes if Ivan Nova gets a 4 year, $72 million or more deal. It's still unknown what the market is at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                            was just coming to post this. i don't mind buying low on him after a rough year last year, but i think 2/22 isn't actually buying low

- - - - - - - - - -

inb4 hugg mentions how volquez's best season was with pittsburgh and now he's reunited with jim benedict
                            So I don't understand what Jim Benedict's role actually is. I thought he was a front office guy. Does he actually work with the players directly (in a capacity where he'd have an impact on Volquez)?

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                            I don't think it's a bad move for either the player or the team. I'm honestly more interested to see how the money is distributed. If it's heavily backloaded I think that's another indicator this might be the last year of Loria.
                            Yeah, I'm just hoping he's actually going to sell. To me there are a lot of factors pointing that direction, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

Marlins Close To Signing Edinson Volquez to Two Year Deal worth 22 mil

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                              So I don't understand what Jim Benedict's role actually is. I thought he was a front office guy. Does he actually work with the players directly (in a capacity where he'd have an impact on Volquez)?
                              He does work with players directly, although I believe mostly minor league guys as he's stationed in Jupiter. But, assuming everything that was said when he was hired is true, he does have input on the pitchers we acquire.

I don't think anyone knows for sure what his day to day ops are like because we have shitty beat reporters.

I think this signing is fine. Doesn't blow me away, but there's no one out there who would anyway. He'll give us innings and just have to hope we get the better version of him.

Comment

Working...
                              X