Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does Mike Hill have a job?
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• I have serious doubts about the scope of Mike Hill's job and how much say he actually has within the organization.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
        I have serious doubts about the scope of Mike Hill's job and how much say he actually has within the organization.
        Has NO say-goes to GM meetings and delivers messages. If u watched the Marlins Draft thing last year,Stan Meek was doing all the work and Mike Hill said something like just let us know before u make the pick so we know how much he wants

Said it 1000 times-if Jeff could appoint himself GM he would. Mike Hill is nothing but a puppet
        - - - - - - - - - -

Added Castillo,Steckenrider,Riddle and Nola to 40 Man. 1st 3 will be in the majors,no idea why Nola was added but whatever

Another note-we finally got the guy we tried to get 3 times(Tried to get him in ST when Dunn got hurt,then in the Hellickson deal and again before they overpaid for Cervenka) last year. Claimed Elvis Araujo from Philly. So we have added 4 LHP in AAA this offseason,could this be the end of Mike Dunn???

Comment

• Ricky Nolasco "Every year is gonna be his breakout year" Hall of Famer Nathan Eovaldi has been designated for assignment

Maybe they'll bring him back

Comment

• Eovaldi is recovering from TJ and is a free agent next year, which is the main reason he's been designated....no point in them paying him to not pitch and leave next offseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
              Ricky Nolasco "Every year is gonna be his breakout year" Hall of Famer Nathan Eovaldi has been designated for assignment

Maybe they'll bring him back
              I'd say Eovaldi/Jones/German for Prado/Phelps is the best Marlins trade of the last five years.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                Eovaldi is recovering from TJ and is a free agent next year, which is the main reason he's been designated....no point in them paying him to not pitch and leave next offseason.
                Welp. Shows how closely I pay attention

Comment

• Plouffe was released too. Can play 3B and 1B also the corner OF spots. Was slated to make 8 million so doubtful we could get him a decent price

Wouldn't mind him or Rodriguez down here tho

Comment

• I'd be super down to target Kenley Jansen if it is for the sole purpose of trading him at the deadline to the most desperate team for a top prospect

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                      Plouffe was released too. Can play 3B and 1B also the corner OF spots. Was slated to make 8 million so doubtful we could get him a decent price

Wouldn't mind him or Rodriguez down here tho
                      Statistically Plouffe is one of the most league average players in the league. I think his OPS+ was 99 last year. I don't see him as an improvement over any of our starters next season.

Comment

• 5.9 WAR player in 14-15, injury plagued last year

not making a case we should sign him, but he's a solid player

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                          Statistically Plouffe is one of the most league average players in the league. I think his OPS+ was 99 last year. I don't see him as an improvement over any of our starters next season.
                          I could be wrong, but I think the idea was to sign and use him as a bench player/spot starter, not replacing one of our starters. In which case, you'd be comparing him to Chris Johnson and the rest of the bench guys (who else was there? Dietrich, Ichiro, Rojas, Mathis, who else?)
                          Last edited by rmc523; 11-19-2016, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• Realistically there is nothing this team can do this offseason to contend next year. Boy is that depressing. The key needs to be rebuilding and finding SP's for the future and building around G, Yelich, Realmuto, and see if Dee is a long term piece or if we bought high. No idea why we are going to do it again with Ramos, just like we did with Cishek. I'd trade Hech too hopefully but that's just cause I can not stand his bat in an NL lineup.

Also, the lack of depth is going to be quite apparent again and as a small market team and a fan of team building and just all around smart front offices, this front office is absolutely maddening in their consistent mismanagement and inability to build a team that reflects the constraints with which they unfortunately have to abide by.
                            Last edited by fish16; 11-19-2016, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                              Realistically there is nothing this team can do this offseason to contend next year. Boy is that depressing. The key needs to be rebuilding and finding SP's for the future and building around G, Yelich, Realmuto, and see if Dee is a long term piece or if we bought high. No idea why we are going to do it again with Ramos, just like we did with Cishek. I'd trade Hech too hopefully but that's just cause I can not stand his bat in an NL lineup.

Also, the lack of depth is going to be quite apparent again and as a small market team and a fan of team building and just all around smart front offices, this front office is absolutely maddening in their consistent mismanagement and inability to build a team that reflects the constraints with which they unfortunately have to abide by.
                              Well we got Barraclough for Cishek...that worked out pretty well.

Comment

• Obviously the loss of Jose puts a big dent in the team being competitive, but I don't think it's accurate to say there's "nothing this team can do this offseason to contend next year." The issue is, it'll take money to do it, as our trade options (though there are some) are limited due to prior trades that depleted our system and bad drafting/lack of depth.

Comment

Working...
                                X