Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
    Aroldis Chapman can eat my ass. We don't need people like that on our team.
    judging by our under .500 record we clearly do.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Scruggs is gone. Elected FA
      On one hand, he's 29 years old and hasn't been able to put up an OPS over .600 in the majors.

On the other hand, he OPS'ed .973 in AAA this year, his best season ever, and has only had 117 major league ABs.

This move feels very reminiscent of when the team just let Mark Canha go for nothing. Scruggs hasn't done anything yet to be indispensable, but it's plain dumb to let an asset like him go so somebody like Odrisamer Despaigned can stay on the 40-man roster.

If he could be an average defensive player, his potential as a hitter makes him valuable as an outfielder. Currently as a 1B that ceiling is limited. I can understand the Marlins letting him go from that account but our current backup 1B is now Chris Johnson.
      Last edited by dim; 10-24-2016, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
        On one hand, he's 29 years old and hasn't been able to put up an OPS over .600 in the majors.

On the other hand, he OPS'ed .973 in AAA this year, his best season ever, and has only had 117 major league ABs.

This move feels very reminiscent of when the team just let Mark Canha go for nothing. Scruggs hasn't done anything yet to be indispensable, but it's plain dumb to let an asset like him go so somebody like Odrisamer Despaigned can stay on the 40-man roster.

If he could be an average defensive player, his potential as a hitter makes him valuable as an outfielder. Currently as a 1B that ceiling is limited. I can understand the Marlins letting him go from that account but our current backup 1B is now Chris Johnson.
        CJ is a FA isn't he??

Ya Scruggs isn't a big loss and took up a needed 40 man spot but this is one issue with us. We let guys just go for nothing. Same reason why the Hech market isn't big-why would someone trade for him when everyone in MLB knows Mattingly loves Rojas and they can probably get him as a FA

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          CJ is a FA isn't he??

Ya Scruggs isn't a big loss and took up a needed 40 man spot but this is one issue with us. We let guys just go for nothing. Same reason why the Hech market isn't big-why would someone trade for him when everyone in MLB knows Mattingly loves Rojas and they can probably get him as a FA
          Yes, I think Johnson was only signed to a one year deal last year.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
            Chapman hasn't started in 6 years. He's not a starter anymore.

I wish teams were more forward thinking to be honest. I know there's no chance we (or anyone) would do this but what's the point of starting pitchers/rotations anymore, really? In 30 years I don't even think the starting pitcher will exist. Carry a 12 or 13 man pitching staff and use it like you do in spring training, or like you see guys like Francona doing in the playoffs. Get 3-4 innings from your "starter" whose only job is to bridge the gap to the three to six out relievers throwing 96+. The opposing team never really sees the same pitcher twice in a game save for maybe the first pitcher. Force the opposing team to burn bench guys on matchups or just play the advantages yourself and bring in whoever you want. The game is moving that direction anyway, might as well take a jump and be the pioneers. Wouldn't we all feel way better about this team if we knew we were only trusting Conley, Urena, Cosart, Chen, Nicolino, Brice to get 9 outs a game and then pass it over to the bullpen?
            you'd really enjoy the chapter in brian kenny's book on bullpenning.

Comment

Rockies are interviewing Tim Wallach for their managerial opening. Sure he'll get it
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Chapman is not a starter and hasn't been a starter as a MLB player so fuck outta here with the idea that we could use him in the rotation. Chapman is also going to get our entire FA budget and would be redundant. Relief pitchers are the running backs of baseball so I would never pay out the ass for a guy like him, even if he throws gas.

Comment

Also, he's a piece of shit

Comment

Marlins officials will meet this coming week to formulate strategy. But unless there’s a change of heart, they’re not expected to have a big enough budget to afford one of the most expensive free agent pitchers such as Jeremy Hellickson or Rich Hill, though they like Hellickson. They will need to find a cheaper option from a weak free agent class.
                    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...111465007.html

can't afford Hellickson or Hill and yet people out here thinking they're gonna sign Cespedes smh

Comment

I don't even think they'll be in on Hellickson. Fister/Dickey region is where they'll be at, aka the 1 or 2 year signings.

I just read in the Miami Herald that the Marlins are making Dietrich/Hech clearly available in trades, won't hang up phone for Gordon/Ozuna, and have made Stanton/Yelich/Realmuto untradeable. None of this is particularly shocking, although I think Ozuna is far more likely to be traded than Gordon. If the team finds a way to somehow trade all of Dietrich, Hech, and Gordon then they would leave themselves without a second baseman.

- - - - - - - - - -

The Cespedes talk is crazy though. He'll get 4 or 5 years, $100-120 million in free agency (I'm thinking $25 million a year). That's a Jose Reyes size contract, and Cespedes just isn't worth that kind of commitment to a franchise that needs to be thrifty all the time. Cespedes also doesn't make this team a winner in 2017. They need starting pitchers and they need to trade Ozuna now to get that.

Comment

Don't really understand trading Gordon unless they think the PEDs actually helped his performance level.

I see no reason why we can't turn Ozuna + Dietrich (or Ozuna + Hech) into a decent SP, and sign a Fister level player.
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

I don't even think they'll be in on Hellickson. Fister/Dickey region is where they'll be at, aka the 1 or 2 year signings.

I just read in the Miami Herald that the Marlins are making Dietrich/Hech clearly available in trades, won't hang up phone for Gordon/Ozuna, and have made Stanton/Yelich/Realmuto untradeable. None of this is particularly shocking, although I think Ozuna is far more likely to be traded than Gordon. If the team finds a way to somehow trade all of Dietrich, Hech, and Gordon then they would leave themselves without a second baseman.

- - - - - - - - - -

The Cespedes talk is crazy though. He'll get 4 or 5 years, $100-120 million in free agency (I'm thinking $25 million a year). That's a Jose Reyes size contract, and Cespedes just isn't worth that kind of commitment to a franchise that needs to be thrifty all the time. Cespedes also doesn't make this team a winner in 2017. They need starting pitchers and they need to trade Ozuna now to get that.
                          I don't think it'll happen either, but the thought is trade Ozuna for a top starter, and replace him with Cespedes. Then sign a Fister (I still think he'd benefit from coming back to the NL and especially with Marlins Park) or someone along those lines.

What about Josh Reddick, Dexter Fowler, or Carlos Gomez coming in to replace Ozuna (traded for a pitcher). None of those three will get near the contract that Cespedes is likely to sign.

Rojas can replace one of Hech or Dee. Dietrich could replace the other, though he has more trade value than either of them, I'm sure.

---

All that said, these are moves that they'd need to make to acquire more pitching even with Jose still here, but his loss makes it that much more tough, but that's obvious.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                          Don't really understand trading Gordon unless they think the PEDs actually helped his performance level.

I see no reason why we can't turn Ozuna + Dietrich (or Ozuna + Hech) into a decent SP, and sign a Fister level player.
                          Probably just desperate to check under every rock for a potential deal for a pitcher.......or they want to get rid of his contract to avoid paying anything

Comment

I've brought up signing Josh Reddick a few times now. He's the guy I'd want. Brandon Moss would be the backup. I don't think Fowler is a good fit for the current team, and Gomez is a lesser version of that. Cespedes is out of our price range (expected contract should be between $100-120 million).

Rojas is a favorite of Mattingly and I think he'd actually start over Hech next season (and rightfully so). Rojas isn't a top 20 major league SS but he'll do for now.

Dietrich, Hech, Telis, and Castillo are the 'secondary' players that the team will throw out first to offer in trades. It is obvious that Ozuna and Ramos are the main players that will net the most return (although I don't know if this team wants to trade Ramos even if they should).

I don't really expect Gordon to be seriously shopped. He's valuable when he's playing well and his value is really low at the moment.

I honestly think the team needs to give up Ozuna for a #2 or 3 pitcher (something like Ozuna/Hech/extra prospect) and them do Ramos for another #2 or 3 starter (Ramos/Dietrich/Castillo). I think given the rise of closers in this year's playoff race that the market to trade a successful closer will never be higher. Sign Fister, Dickey, Peavy or De La Rosa (in that order) and you might have a rotation.

The rotation would be Chen/Conley/#2 or 3 starter/#2 or 3 starter/Fister Dickey Peavy De La Rosa.

Sign either a top outfielder like Reddick/Moss or get a cheap signing and find a way to split time between that guy and Ichiro next season. The rotation is close to being manageable, and Barraclough/Wittgren/Ellington all are options to fill in as closer (and I think successfully).

While risky without a question, I feel an offseason like this could potentially improve the team's win total into the mid to high 80s. The team as it is will be a mid to low 70 win team. There's 0% chance of even reaching .500 with the current team after losing Jose. We were barely an above .500 team with him. Time to take some chances. We've got basically a year or two before everybody's contracts start to balloon and team payroll becomes $100 million+. Every signing this offseason should either be 1 or 2 year high money deals or control cost players (which would be acquired via trade).

Comment

I want Reddick too, he's the top of my somewhat realistic list, but I think he's going to get $15M a year. Market is crazy.

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

Man the Herald is on point-they(Ozuna,DD,Hech) have only been on the market since mid Oct. Gordon isn't on the market UNLESS some team offers something crazy. Ill add a nugget(its bullshit tho until a "name" reports it)don't be surprised if u see Hech not offered arbitration and is a FA. Mattingly has told the FO that he is happy with Rojas as his SS and he would rather have $ to use on other spots(SP/OF)

Cespedes here is like a 0.00001% chance. They are looking for a vet like Reddick/Fowler on a 1 yr plus option type deal. And before people say too expensive. If u get rid of Hech,Ozuna and Jose's salary for next year-How much is that??

Comment

Working...
                                X