No announcement yet.

Trade Deadline Watch 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd take Hellickson over Cashner, given how both have pitched and that they are both free agents. That could go either way though I guess. To me, its unacceptable to go past the trade deadline saying you're trying to win with still no #5. We'll see if Phelps can be adequate which I'm sure he can, but there were so many guys out there and the money thing is just so bothersome every time you hear how it affects our deals when we are 5-6 years into this new stadium. If they don't sell next year MLB has to step in at some point, no?

It goes past just not paying guys big contracts, its no international signing presence, consistent frugalness in the draft, inability to take on sums of money that should not be a problem in this day and age, and consistently and purposely taking worse deals in trades because of very small amounts of money.

We went into last week knowing we needed a starter and then Chen went down so we had a week to get 2 guys. Then Rea went down and we had 2 days to find another pitcher. Then Castillo gets returned 4 hours before the deadline and we knew we had to get a pitcher.

The biggest thing we needed was a capable number 5, and here we are still with the same options for the #5 spot that we have seen all year pretty much. I still think we have enough to get a wild card spot, but we really needed a number 5, especially with Jose and Conley innings limits.
    Last edited by fish16; 08-01-2016, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• I agree, I wanted to see someone else brought in....

but....would you rather have no move or a typical Marlins move and bring in a terrible guy like Nolasco?

Comment

• It takes two sides to make a trade

Comment

• gut tells me we'll see a waiver deal this month at some point. and i still think we move dunn

i don't fault them for not adding another 5 starter - the prices were crazy.

added to that is the fact that, in cashner, we probably got the "best" sp not named matt moore who was dealt at the deadline and there's not a ton to complain about. they did what they could.
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• The problem isn't not adding a #5 starter, it's not having a #2 starter.

I guess if the goal is to be one-and-done, OK, but this team has no realistic chance in October (if they get there) as constructed. Jose gives them the edge in the play in game. After that it's a mess.

Comment

• ya we came into the trade deadline knowing we had a huge hole at #5 and left having the same hole. What we could have done remains to be seen, but clearly money, as always, had something to do with it. They had a week after chen went down knowing they terribly neded starting pitching and they failed, plain and simple, while just about every other club in the wild card mix did much more than us, plus most of those teams are really hurt by injuries now.

To me, they lost the wild card yesterday at 4:01

Comment

• I don't know, it's not like the Cardinals did a ton to improve their team, and the Mets brought in Jay Bruce, but I really don't see that putting them over the top.

Yeah I think the teams in front of us widened the gap, but the teams we're fighting for that 2nd wild card stood pat for the most part.
                Last edited by Nick; 08-02-2016, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                  Jose gives them the edge in the play in game. After that it's a mess.
                  I feel like if Jose is pitching away at Los Angeles or St.Louis, we have little to no edge in the play in game.

Comment

• Buster Olney mentions Tyson Ross as a potential waiver deadline trade candidate. If he comes back healthy, I wonder if Miami and SD don't try and work something out since they've already made two (technically 3) trades this year and seem to be operating in good faith.

Comment

• if ross comes back healthy and we can get him, I'd be all over trading Luis Castillo back to the Padres again for him. Team control next year too. Would be a very solid addition, again, if he is healthy.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                      I feel like if Jose is pitching away at Los Angeles or St.Louis, we have little to no edge in the play in game.
                      especially if KErshaw or Wainwright pitches.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                        Maybe, I guess. Any time you're on the road you're obviously at a disadvantage, but Jose's a legitimate #1, and frankly I'd rather him over any of the #1's the Marlins could realistically expect to see in a play-in.

Comment

• Also, the play in game is the monday or tuesday right after the season ends. Theres a fairly good chance Jose might not be on enough rest to pitch in that game. Especially if the wild card race goes down to the last weekend.

Comment

• IMO if it you're in the race, you schedule Jose so he'd pitch that game. The outcome of that game decides everything. One game itself doesn't before that, it's a cumulative outcome. Losing a game isn't a death knell because there's so many other factors.

Anything can happen once you're in the playoffs. Look at Jeff Weaver in 2006. And I think you're sleeping on Conley too much Swift. I mean, yeah he's probably the worst #2 out of the teams qualifying right now but he's still good.

We would be far from the favorites, but getting there is the big part. And with how good our bullpen is and how many rest days there are, the starters would not need to go deep into games at all. This is especially good when running out someone like Koehler, who's goign to struggle more times through the line up

Comment

• Just get in, weird shit happens in October, we know that better than any fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                                IMO if it you're in the race, you schedule Jose so he'd pitch that game. The outcome of that game decides everything. One game itself doesn't before that, it's a cumulative outcome. Losing a game isn't a death knell because there's so many other factors.

Anything can happen once you're in the playoffs. Look at Jeff Weaver in 2006. And I think you're sleeping on Conley too much Swift. I mean, yeah he's probably the worst #2 out of the teams qualifying right now but he's still good.

We would be far from the favorites, but getting there is the big part. And with how good our bullpen is and how many rest days there are, the starters would not need to go deep into games at all. This is especially good when running out someone like Koehler, who's goign to struggle more times through the line up
                                I totally feel you with this post but what if it's real nip and tuck and Jose's starts are tracking in a way that he is scheduled to pitch the last day of the season and we need to win that game to get into the play in game?

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                                Yeah, at this point, I have zero confidence in Fernandez to have a clean first inning on the road. Not the end of the world because he does tend to settle down quickly but it is concerning because that play in game could very well be a 2-1 outcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X