Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some stuff from TSN: http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/MLB...a_stand-up_guy

Some highlights:

"His body reminds me of Corey Hart in the sense that he has deceptive speed once he gets underway with those long legs," an NL Central scout said. He's gangly, but not uncoordinated. Nice projectable body--he can put some muscle on that frame."
    "The kid will do anything to help his team," the scout said.
    --------------------
    BA (http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=2348):

We expected the Marlins to go non-consensus and they did with Yelich, who's athletic and should be an above-average defender at first. He could slide to the outfield and was announced as an outfielder. He's also one of the smoother hitters this year but some scouts question his power.
    Last edited by emkayseven; 06-07-2010, 09:01 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Seems fine to me, as long as he's got a good eye. If not, fuck him.
      poop

Comment

from an interview in April:

Kevin Levine-Flandrup: Are you a natural righty? How did you end up as a lefty hitter?

Christian Yelich: I do everything right-handed: throw kick, write, eat…but for some reason I always hit lefty. Nobody taught me that way or forced it on me, I just always picked up a bat lefty, it was more comfortable for me, and it’s just worked out.

Kevin Levine-Flandrup: Where do you hit in the lineup?

Christian Yelich: I hit leadoff for our high school team because of my walks. I see the most pitches and it gives you the chance at an extra at-bat each game, so it’s kind of nice.

Kevin Levine-Flandrup: How significant a role does speed play in your game?

Christian Yelich: I think it’s helped me a lot, and that’s been a surprise to people because I don’t think that people who look at me think I’d be fast or be able to run like I do. It really helps my game, being able to turn singles into doubles, being able to leg out some infield hits every now and then, and maybe eventually play some outfield.

Kevin Levine-Flandrup: How much have you hit with wood?

Christian Yelich: Oh, a lot. When you go to all these showcases, tournaments, or invite events for the pro guys, it’s all wood. I started hitting with wood my freshman year summer, and have continued that up to now. I actually prefer wood bats to aluminum. I guess you could maybe hit a ball a little farther with an aluminum bat, but I just like the feel of a wood bat.
        full interview here: http://yankees.scout.com/2/966249.html
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Legit.

Comment

Don't mind going away from the power free swingers we're use to to get the line drive gap/OBP guys.

Comment

If a high schooler is bragging about his walks, I'm sold.
              poop

Comment

some video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBYx6MzRw6Q&feature=related[/ame] (home run at 30 seconds...and yeah he does look deceptively fast, seems to get up the line in a hurry)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0SlwHU7n4c&feature=related[/ame] (WWBA wood bat at bats...he does have a pretty sweet stroke)

Comment

That stance looks familiar. Anyone can think of it?
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

The life of a graduating 18-year-old, so full of smiles and tears, hugs and goodbyes, yearbook signings, promises to K.I.T. that go AWOL.

School out on Friday.

Prom on Saturday.

The final baseball banquet on Sunday.

The first round of the Major League Baseball Draft on Monday.

Second round on Tuesday, if, in fact, Christian Yelich somehow slips.

Graduation practice Wednesday.

Graduation on Thursday, followed by Grad Night at Disneyland.

Then, poof, it's over.

Ah, to be young again.

"Man, I've got all these nerves for the draft, plus school is ending?" a somehow levelheaded Yelich said on Saturday afternoon, before putting on his black-and-white tuxedo and heading to the Ronald Reagan Library for the Westlake High School prom.

"Right now my life is a mixture of emotions. I've been really busy, but it's been fun. Probably a little busier than most high school kids."

Just a bit.

Yelich, who batted .451 with 28 steals in 30 attempts for the Warriors, has been slotted to go 27th in the draft by ESPN.com draft expert Keith Law, and the common consensus is that he should end up in the first round.

Not bad for a first baseman without much power, an oddity in this game.

He's getting mentioned in the same breath as Mark Grace, John Olerud and Gregg Jeffries, superstars who flourished for years without much pop.

"I personally never make comparisons," Law said. "He's a first baseman without power.' Well, that's Mark Grace. But there's only one Mark Grace. I hate doing the comparisons. Each of these players is unique and I kinda like to treat them that way. Yeah, he's a guy who hits for average and gets on base, but a little less home run power than you expect to see from a first baseman."

Perhaps during the bashing and smashing era of the late-90s and early 2000s.

But people forget that first basemen didn't always have to crush 95 home runs with 200 RBIs and their sleeves bursting at the seams.

Yelich is coming in at just the right time - the game is changing in front of our eyes, from power and glory to efficiency and speed.

Just think: There have been 2<MD+,%30,%55,%70>26/<MD-,%0,%55,%70>27 perfect games thrown in the big leagues this year.

"It's definitely to my advantage that it's a level playing field," Yelich said.

"Kids don't have to take steroids to compete. I got tested a month ago by major league baseball. It's impossible to do steroids or anything else nowadays. It's to my advantage. I'm 6-3, 180. I don't have to hit 45 home runs to be a big leaguer."

Law is quick to point out Yelich isn't being touted because of the world around him.

"It's just that he's a very good player," Law said. "I don't think anybody that thinks that way; I've never had a scout say we need to say we need to change how we scout after steroids. The kid can hit. He looks like he can hit."

Yes he can hit, but where will he field?

Yelich has been told by a handful of teams they would consider switching him to a corner outfield position to maximize his speed, and Law said he'll only need to clean up his throwing motion to complete the move.

If that happens, some team will justify the high pick.

Even if Yelich can't justify it himself.

"When you grow up, everyone's goal is to become a pro ballplayer," Yelich said.

"But when you put it in prospective that there are 30 picks in the entire world, the chance of you being a first-round pick are staggering. It's an honor just to be mentioned as a possible first-rounder."

But it's players like Yelich who excite Law, players who might not be everyday names like projected first overall pick Bryce Harper of Las Vegas - who many are saying is the best prospect in the draft era - but can make a scout brim with pride.

"The deeper you go, the more you have a chance to make your money," Law said. "At the top, it's the easiest. Everyone knows Bryce Harper is the best player in the draft. The Nationals didn't have to do much work on that. This is the worst draft in terms of talent that I've ever worked on, but that's where you make your money. You're paid to identify the guys and scout the hell out of them.

"It's not a crapshoot, it's just really ... hard."
                    http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_15242271

Seems like a good level-headed kid.

Comment

Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
                      That stance looks familiar. Anyone can think of it?
                      Young Jim Thome.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs6pHyQyK58[/ame]

That would be sweet wouldn't it.

Comment

The Phillies had been tied heavily to him at 27. Read on a Phillies site that an ESPN insider post said Yelich wanted 2 million and not a penny less
                        --------------------
                        Foudn the exact quote from Law:

They like Christian Yelich but may be unwilling to pay his $2 million price tag -- I'm told he "won't take a penny less" -- and could turn to local product Biddle.
                        They'd better be damned certain they can sign him and not be paying him 2 million
                        Last edited by emkayseven; 06-07-2010, 09:23 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Speed and a California prep bat. The Beinfest wet dream.

Comment

I don't know how that one guy says "power projection" and "20 HR" in the same sentence though. "Power projection" needs to be reserved for 30+.

Regardless, I know baseball is "pick the best guy regardless of position" drafting, but it's nice to see them even out the system with another bat. Once Stanton, Morrison, Dominguez, Cousins, and Petersen (After Maybin, Coghlan, and Gaby already have) get to the bigs in the next 1-2 years, our top 20 will be all pitchers besides skipworth, smolinski, osvaldo (maybe if this is for real, but he could make the bench too), and maybe Galloway's tools get him there. Bat was the right pick. I just hope they took the right one.

I suspect next pick is a left handed high school starter who is 6'5 and will "build to his frame."

Comment

I believe we spent 4.3 million on our entire draft last yr. So if it takes 2 million to just sign Christian Yelich I believe we are going to have to go through another yr of us selecting crappy, easy sign prospects. Hopefully we have a higher draft budget to work with this yr.
                              Last edited by LocoMarlinFan; 06-07-2010, 09:55 PM.

Comment

I'm hoping he really isn't going to hold out for top 10 money and we can get him for less

unless they took a guy they don't expect to sign and wait to get the pick next year which will be a deeper draft

Comment

Working...
                                X