X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• holding out hope
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Some guy at FanGraphs thoughts on Lincecum (can't post it in quotes on my phone):

" Lincecum is done. Kaput. The free agent had hip surgery back in September and was supposed to showcase his talent to teams in mid-January. Then the deadline got pushed back to late-January, then early-February. Now it is scheduled for some time in February. This constant delay while trying to get healthy reminds me of the dance Johan Santana did for a few pre-seasons. I expect Lincecum and his 87 mph fastball to have problems finding a home. I would not be surprised if his fastball was under 87 mph at this point. Even if he regressed back to his 2015 levels of production, he would basically be unplayable. His ERA and ERA estimators were all north of 4.00. His strikeout rate was at a career low. His walk rate was at a career high. I wouldn’t take a chance on him at all. Find a pitcher with a future. (Jeff Zimmerman)"

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
        Some guy at FanGraphs thoughts on Lincecum (can't post it in quotes on my phone):

" Lincecum is done. Kaput. The free agent had hip surgery back in September and was supposed to showcase his talent to teams in mid-January. Then the deadline got pushed back to late-January, then early-February. Now it is scheduled for some time in February. This constant delay while trying to get healthy reminds me of the dance Johan Santana did for a few pre-seasons. I expect Lincecum and his 87 mph fastball to have problems finding a home. I would not be surprised if his fastball was under 87 mph at this point. Even if he regressed back to his 2015 levels of production, he would basically be unplayable. His ERA and ERA estimators were all north of 4.00. His strikeout rate was at a career low. His walk rate was at a career high. I wouldn’t take a chance on him at all. Find a pitcher with a future. (Jeff Zimmerman)"
        A response to his post not yours.
        Code:
        2015 stats    k/9        bb/9   era     fip        xfip
        MLB           7.40	2.72   4.10      4.03	   4.00
        Timmy         7.07	4.48   4.13	 4.29	   4.64
        If you expect that his ability stays at 2015, he's still a better number 5 than most clubs will be putting on the field. That walk rate is what would scare me, but it is also a career high. It really depends on what kind of deal he will settle for.

Comment

• This dumb shit again

For the first time in his major league career, Don Mattingly's team has a policy of no facial hair.

As the Miami Marlins' new manager, he's the one enforcing the rule.

The Marlins allowed players to have beards the past two years, but that changed under an organizational policy adopted after Mattingly was hired.

"Initially not too many guys were happy about it," said reliever Mike Dunn, who shaved off his goatee before reporting to spring training. "You can fight it, or you don't. Obviously I shaved, so it's OK."

Mattingly said he didn't care whether players were allowed to have beards, goatees or mustaches but supported the new rule.

"Guys will whine," Mattingly said Sunday. "Some guys like it; some guys won't. As long as we're consistent, I think it's not that big of a deal."

But it's new for Mattingly. The Los Angeles Dodgers allowed facial hair when Mattingly was their manager for five seasons, and he wore a mustache when he was an All-Star first baseman for the New York Yankees.

In 1991 Mattingly was benched for refusing to cut his hair. He says his complaint was that the rule was not being enforced equally among everyone on the team.

"It wasn't really that complicated," he said.

Many Marlins sported facial hair last season. Among the players who have had to give up their beard is 23-year-old ace Jose Fernandez, who shaved after he reported to camp.

"I'm afraid I'm going to look 16," he said with a smile. "But it's not a big deal. Whatever the rules are, we're going to follow them."

By changing their look, perhaps the Marlins will change their luck. They haven't had a winning season since 2009.
          http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14...hair-mattingly

They did this under Girardi, right?
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Weird that a manager who played his whole career basically with facial hair would have a no facial-hair policy.

Comment

• smart move to create a policy that causes no positive change and angers the players.

there are tons of bankers, accountants and attorneys that have facial hair, and most of them probably don't have the opportunity to use chewing tobacco on the job.

Comment

• I'm glad you posted that article because I thought this was Mattingly's rule when first heard this and I was like WTF?

But now I know it's a MARLINS rule and I'm like, "ok, that makes sense"

Mick Mouse

Comment

• I get looking professional in an office setting, but it's baseball. I believe the defending World Series champions have numerous players with facial hair. It's really not news and they can do what they want, but like Madman81 said there's no positive to gain from it. Any time spent thinking about facial hair is just wasted time.

Comment

• I think long pube beards look ridiculous but telling your baseball players they can't have them is way more ridiculous.

Comment

• Jeff strikes again!!! Let's the guys have freedom but since they sucked he goes back to old crap. They should have an organzational policy that says he must spend all of his draft pool+IFA pool budget every year!!

Hopefully just facial hair and not that your hair cant be longer than 4 inches. If so the Lincecum might be out for us

Comment

• You gotta be kidding me. Roger Dean Spring Training news.

It's from New Times but I'm assuming they're not making this up:

"OK, but what about that grass berm? It's one of the best features at Roger Dean Stadium, a green, slanting field where fans could pay $15 to lay in the sun on blankets.

The Fish have closed it off this year, instead opening a "Bullpen Club," where tickets go for $52 to $60. This is to watch a team that finished 71-91 last year, mind you. "

Comment

You gotta be kidding me. Roger Dean Spring Training news.

"OK, but what about that grass berm? It's one of the best features at Roger Dean Stadium, a green, slanting field where fans could pay $15 to lay in the sun on blankets.

The Fish have closed it off this year, instead opening a "Bullpen Club," where tickets go for $52 to $60. This is to watch a team that finished 71-91 last year, mind you. "
                          Gotta pay for those 2 years of Chen

Comment

• Don't get me started on Spring Training in general. Such a magical part of my childhood and really the area where I'm from, which is east and central Florida, and it's all gonna be gone within 2 years, and it really sucks.

Comment

You gotta be kidding me. Roger Dean Spring Training news.

In fairness, there is still a $15 price that can be bought, and the prices are the same for the Cardinals as well. So I'd assume that this wasn't solely a Marlins decision. None of that is mentioned in the article...

Comment

• It was a Marlins/Cardinals decision.

The grass area was outstanding. I probably won't attend a game this year now. That's how much fun we had.

Comment

Working...
                                X