X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 43 | Andrew Leenhouts | LHP | Northeastern

Discuss.
    --------------------
    2011: Fired six innings alllowing five runs, all earned, while fanning five in a 5-0 loss to James Madison (May 20)...surrendered just two earned runs on six hit with six strikeouts in 6-2/3 innings, getting the hard luck loss in a 5-2 defeat to Delaware (May 14)...struck out five Patriots' batters in five innings in a losing effort in NU's 12-6 loss to George Mason (May 7)...was docked with a loss after tossing five innings of five-run ball in a 8-0 loss to William & Mary (April 30)...pitched eight solid innings, allowing just two runs, one earned, while fanning seven to gain his third win of the year in a 3-2 triumph over Georgia State (April 22)...tossed 8-1/3 shutout innings to earn CAA Pitcher of the Week in a 2-0 victory at VCU (April 15)...was given a no-decision after eight shutout innings of two-hit ball in NU's 1-0 win over Hofstra (April 10)...fanned eight Spiders' batters in a 5-4 loss to Towson (April 2)...pitched a seven inning complete game for his first win of the year in a 3-1 win over Richmond (March 26)...surrendered six runs in 4.0 innings in a 10-3 loss to Old Dominion (March 19)...allowed three runs, one earned, while scattering just five hits in 6.0 innings in NU's 5-2 loss to UNC Wilmington (March 12)...earned the hard luck loss in a 3-2 defeat to Rhode Island, throwing 6.0 innings, allowing one earned run while striking out seven Rams' batters (March 4)...was given a no-decision after leaving with a 5-1 lead, allowing just one run in 6.0 inning while fanning six in NU's 6-5 loss to St. Bonaventure (Feb. 27).

2010: Earned a spot on the All-CAA First team as a starting pitcher...led the Huskies with a 3.14 ERA, making 11 starts while compiling a 3-4 record and earning a save...struck out 88 batters in 71-2/3 innings...took a 2-1 loss to Delaware in a complete game outing, giving up just two runs while striking out four (May 23)...pitched seven dominant innings, striking out 12 and allowing just one run and four hits as NU steamrolled Old Dominion, 4-1 (May 9)...threw 5-2/3 innings, allowing two earned runs and striking out nine as NU fell 2-0 to William & Mary (May 1)...won the CAA Co-Pitcher of the Week award for the second straight week, becoming the first Husky pitcher to earn the award in consecutive weeks (April 26)...threw a complete game, striking out 10 and allowing just one run on six scattered hits to get the win in NU's 4-1 victory over UNC Wilmington (April 24)...Earned CAA Co-Pitcher of the Week honors for his scintillating performance against George Mason (April 19)...struck out 15 in eight innings, allowing just two hits in a no-decision against George Mason (April 18)...Tossed two scoreless innings, striking out four and allowing just one hit to pick up the save in NU's 8-5 win over UMass in round one of the Beanpot (April 14)...threw 8.1 innings, striking out nine and allowing just two earned runs before falling victim to a ninth inning rally, taking the 5-4 loss at VCU (March 27)...struck out seven in six innings while picking up a 7-4 win over Bryant (March 20)...racked up five strikeouts in two rain-shortened innings in a 13-1 win over St. Bonaventure (Feb. 27).

2009:Finished the season pitching 30 and a third for the Huskies with a 1-1 record and three saves...struck out 41 batters including a season high six against UMass in the Beanpot finals...allowed two hits in three innings of work against Bryant on May 11 while striking out four...in the Beanpot Championship game pitched three and two thirds striking out six...in his first collegiate game pitched 2 1/3 striking out five batters...pitched 3 2/3 of two hit baseball striking out six batters closing out the Huskies 6-3 victory against Central Michigan March 6.

High School: Played three years of varsity baseball as a pitcher and outfielder...captained the team his senior season...names Team MVP, League MVP, two time League All-Star, Boston Globe All-Star, and FHS Career Athlete...helped his team to a Hockomock League championship his senior season...as a three sport athlete he also played two seasons of varsity football and basketball.
    http://www.gonu.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1323
    --------------------
    Perhaps more painful for the baseball team than two walk-off losses in one day: The blow to the head sophomore pitcher Andrew Leenhouts suffered in the ninth inning of Game Two in Richmond, Va. Despite the injury Leenhouts stayed in the game and surrendered only two runs in 8.1 innings total in the 5-4 loss to conference foe Virginia Commonwealth. Leenhouts struck out nine, bringing his season total to a team-high 26. His efforts earned him Huntington News Player of the Week honors.

With one out and VCU’s Taylor Perkins on base in the bottom of the ninth and the Huskies leading 4-2, Leenhouts delivered a pitch to centerfielder M.L. Morgan, who dropped a bunt down the first base line. While fielding the ball, Leenhouts collided with Morgan, taking a knee to the head, leaving Leenhouts disoriented.

“I went to field the ball, and the next thing I knew guys on the team were helping me up,” Leenhouts said. “I just wanted to stay in and finish the game and get the next batter out.”

Leenhouts stayed in the game, but was unable to finish off the Rams. A passed ball moved runners to second and third, and with the combination of a wild pitch and an error by catcher Jon Leroux, Perkins and Morgan scored tying the game. After surrendering a walk, NU senior pitcher Dan Zehr relieved Leenhouts, and the game ended with a walk-off single.

“It’s a team effort,” Leenhouts said. “I feel just as responsible as anybody, especially with the walk in the ninth.”

While a walk-off lost in a double header can dull the mood for game two, it did the opposite for the Huskies, Leenhouts said.

“In the first game we scored early and then fell asleep, but this helped us out for game two,” Leenhouts said. “We knew we had to keep pressure on them and we did, but it was a tough loss.”

Leenhouts’ performance came on the heels of a strong performance last Saturday in a 7-1 win against Bryant, striking out seven hitters in six innings.

“If I’m having a good week, I like to keep it similar,” Leenhouts said. “Coach [Pat] Mason does a good job letting me know how much time I have to get ready before games, and it gets me into a good routine.”

Pursuing a degree in civil engineering, Leenhouts said he often finds himself having to maintain a consistent balance between school and baseball.

“With my major, you really got to be careful with your schedule,” Leenhouts said. “But we have a lot of good people helping us out here at Cabot and they really
    make it easier.”

With baseball a large priority for Leenhouts, he said he hasn’t put much thought into the future.

“Right now, I’m just trying to focus on baseball and academics,” Leenhouts said. “I’ll see where civil engineering takes me, and hopefully my co-op will help me figure it out.”

The Franklin native played basketball, football and baseball at Franklin High School, but said his decision to play baseball was an easy one.

“I always knew baseball was my sport, but I like to compete and I played whatever I could in high school,” Leenhouts said. “I miss the sports I played in high school because they were different. Right now it’s just baseball and I don’t mind, but it’s nice to change it up once in a while.”

In addition to his strong arm, Leenhouts claims to have a set of wheels too. His sister Meredith ran track at Yale, and Leenhouts recalls racing her in the backyard.

“I would win most of the time,” he said with a chuckle. “I’d still take her now, but she’d probably take me in a distance race.”
    http://huntnewsnu.com/2010/04/player...rew-leenhouts/
    --------------------
    After a freshman season in which he served as a setup man and closer out of the bullpen for the Northeastern University baseball team, Andrew Leenhouts (inset) showed he was more than ready this spring to step into the starting rotation.

The sophomore left-hander from Franklin struck out 88 batters in 71.2 innings and earned Colonial Athletic Association first-team honors.

A three-sport athlete at Franklin High, Leenhouts was 3-4 in 11 starts with three of the losses coming in games decided by two runs or fewer.

His 11.05 strikeouts per nine innings was best among conference starters, and ranked 14th among NCAA Division 1 pitchers. His strikeout total was the fifth best in program history.

“We had three returning rotation guys last year, so it was our plan right from the beginning that Andrew would primarily pitch in relief and become a starter this year,’’ said NU coach Neil McPhee, of Needham.

“We put him in pressure situations as a freshman and he just went out and threw strike after strike,’’ McPhee said.

“His body language and everything about him showed confidence and competitiveness and he just continued to improve this year.

“His first start this year was against a very good Virginia Commonwealth team in which he took a 4-2 lead into the ninth, but he got kneed in the head trying to tag out a runner on a dribbler up the first-base line, and we lost the game on an infield error after taking him out. That was pretty typical of some tough losses that made this a long season, but also typical of how well he pitched.’’

Leenhouts, who had a 2.37 earned-run average last year and 3.14 ERA this season, was sensational over eight innings on April 18 against George Mason, striking out 15 and allowing just two hits.

He also had 12- and 10-strikeout games, respectively, vs. Old Dominion and University of North Carolina Wilmington.

McPhee said the 6-foot-3 Leenhouts reminds him of another standout NU lefty, Westborough’s Greg Montalbano, the former Red Sox draftee and farmhand who died of cancer last year.

“His delivery, command of the strike zone and composure are similar to Greg,’’ said McPhee. “Andrew is a little bigger and stronger, but Greg’s medical condition had something to do with that. We saw Andrew play three or four times at Franklin High and he was our top pitching recruit.

“Pete Pasquarosa, the former athletic director there, told me that Andrew was a fearless defensive player in football, and I believe that kind of competitive edge carries over into all sports, particularly when you’re a pitcher in a close game in the late innings.

“And his command of the strike zone at this stage of his career is extraordinary and he’s only going to get better at it,’’ added McPhee.

At Franklin High, Leenhouts was a baseball captain and MVP, a Hockomock League MVP and All-Star, and a standout pitcher and outfielder on the league championship team his senior year.

He also played two seasons of varsity football and basketball.
    http://boards.caazone.com/showthread.php?t=94296
    --------------------
    As a youngster visiting his grandparents’ home in Harwich, Franklin’s Andrew Leenhouts sat in the stands at Whitehouse Field, envisioning the day when he would be on the other side of the fence wearing the uniform of the Harwich Mariners of the Cape Cod Baseball League.

“Of course, when you’re a kid and you love sports, you also think that you’ll be throwing passes someday in the National Football League,’’ said Leenhouts, a three-sport athlete during his days at Franklin High who has fulfilled at least one fantasy of his youth.

Leenhouts, who had a staff-best 3.14 earned-run average this spring as a Northeastern University sophomore, is in his first summer playing for the Mariners. The lefty starter improved his record to 3-2 and his ERA to 2.60 last Sunday when he threw seven shutout innings on the road against Chatham.

After absorbing losses in his first two starts, the lanky, 6-foot-3 Leenhouts has hit his stride, allowing just two earned runs in each of his next three appearances before blanking Chatham on four hits. He is scheduled to start tomorrow for Harwich, which had won eight of its last 10 games after a 4-1 home win over Bourne on Tuesday.

“You know what type of player Northeastern is going to recommend and we’ve had a lot of success with them, and Drew has carried on that tradition,’’ said Harwich manager Steve Englert, who spends the rest of the year as an assistant coach at Boston College. “He struggled finding the strike zone and with his command early on, but he’s made some adjustments, his mound presence is growing, and he understands that he can compete with some of the best college players in the country.

“Going deep into games lately means less wear on your pitching staff and it saves your bullpen, and Drew has done that by coming right at the hitters. I feel we’ll be in every game he starts and there’s no doubt that if he continues to succeed here, he’ll get a lot of attention going into next year’s Major League draft.’’

Leenhouts said playing against elite competition this summer has been both a learning experience and confidence booster for next season at Northeastern. He hopes to take more of a leadership role with the Huskies, after compiling a 3-4 record this spring in 11 starts while striking out 88 hitters in 71 2/3 innings, and earning first team honors in the Colonial Athletic Association.

“I was definitely thinking about pitching on the Cape as my college season was winding down,’’ said Leenhouts, who pitched two summers ago for Norfolk’s American Legion team and last summer in the Atlantic Collegiate Baseball League.
    http://articles.boston.com/2010-07-2...aseball-league
    Last edited by emkayseven; 06-08-2011, 02:09 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Summer ball stats (Cape Cod) http://www.pointstreak.com/baseball/...layerid=150137

Comment

Working...
    X