No announcement yet.

Amateur Talent Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobby Poyner pitched six scoreless against American Heritage today, 12 K's, no walks.

We winned 2-0.

Comment

Didn't get to see either in person today but Kyle Smith pitched a no-no, 14 k's, 1 bb. Ryan Harris pitched a 2 hitter with 8 strikeouts.

Tomorrow I'll get my first look at 2012 UF commit 3B Tyler Kendall, and I'm 99 percent sure Bobby Poyner will be on the bump again. It wasn't my intention to talk about UF commits so much, O'Sullivan just really seems to be (over) recruiting the area hard.

Comment

Where's Northwood?

Comment

So that game sucked. Kendall was 0-4, 3k's. Made a nice diving back handed play and then threw it away. Nothing else hit to him. He seems well under 6ft but has a real stocky Uggla-like build.

Poyner had a rough outing, 3 earned runs in 5 innings, 8 k's, 1 walk. He gave up quite a few 2 strike hits, wasn't able to put away hitters as usual. He was also 2-3 with a double, homerun, 2 walks, and a strikeout.

Also playing in that game was C Robbie Coman who signed with Virginia, and SS Trea Turner who is signed with NC State. Coman also had the Uggla-like build. He was 2-3 and a walk, didn't get a chance to throw anyone out but I heard from a reliable source that he tops out at 93 on the mound. It's not a great indicator of POP time but still.

Turner is a 6 ft twig, led the game off with a single, stole 2nd, stole 3rd and scored on an errant throw. Finished 1-4, 1k. Made a beautiful diving stop in the hole but didn't get the throw off.

We won 15-5.

Comment

Bubba Starling

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101225/BIGRED/712259900
            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

At 6 feet, 180 pounds, Santaluces High right-hander Kyle Smith lacks the size pro scouts covet. But he has nearly everything else they want: command of major-league-ready stuff, a durable arm and an effortless delivery.

He is the most complete, consistent player in an area filled with pro prospects. His pitching is likely to determine Santaluces' success in the upcoming District 9-6A playoffs.

"If he's done, we're done," coach Nick Franco said.

Smith, who can help Santaluces (14-8) sew up the district's No. 2 seed Thursday with a win over Boca Raton, is 6-1. He leads the area in ERA (0.13) and strikeouts (90) in 52 1/3 innings. He also is among the area leaders in batting average (.415), home runs (4) and RBI (19).

He struck out 120 in 64 innings last season, going 6-2 with a 1.44 ERA and earning first-team Palm Beach Post all-area honors. He has signed a letter of intent with Florida but remains eligible for the major league draft in June. He is projected to be selected in rounds 8-12.

Though scouts prefer tall, lean kids who will fill out their frames - projectability is the buzzword - some think they've found a gem in Smith.

"He's a tremendous competitor. There might be people who are bigger, stronger. But they don't have the heart he does," a National League scout said.

Smith has command of a pro-level arsenal of pitches: a late-life four-seam fastball, a two-seamer that tails away from lefties, a nasty, late-breaking curveball and a changeup thrown with a split-finger grip.

Smith said he finally mastered his change Feb. 25 against Atlantic. That night, he threw a no-hitter with 14 strikeouts.

An NL scout described Smith's repertoire as "the stuff to get major-league hitters out."

Because of his size, he can't rely on sheer strength to pitch in the low 90s and occasionally reach 95 mph.

"I have to use everything I have to get it up there," Smith said.

He developed his fluid, low-effort delivery with help from his personal coach, Cardinal Newman alum David Manning.

Thanks to his mechanics and a pro-style off-day routine of running and throwing, Smith regularly fires 110 bullets or more in an era of hand-wringing over pitch counts.

"When I watch him throw now, it's like watching a professional, polished pitcher throw," Manning said.

Franco said he has seen his ace get shelled once, last year against Park Vista when he gave up five earned runs. Smith has allowed one earned run this season, in a win over then-No. 1 Palm Beach Central.

"Major-league scouts might be scared because of Kyle's size," Franco said. "But I think he's the best pitcher in the state. There's something about him."

His parents, Tom and Marla, have hosted pro scouts at their Lake Worth home, but Smith said he won't think about his future until he helps Santaluces win its first district playoff game in three seasons.

If he goes to Florida, he'll join a recruiting class that could include pitchers Michael Kelly (West Boca Raton) and Ryan Harris (Jupiter).

Smith said he is honored to be committed to the Gators, but would welcome the challenge of starting a pro career.

"Either or is fine with me," he said. "As long as I'm playing baseball, I'm happy."

Nothing makes him happier than to have the game in his hands.

In a recent Friday night game at district rival Park Vista, Smith was on the mound with the score tied, two outs in the seventh and a 2-2 count.

At that point, he had thrown 110 pitches, 80 of them strikes. On his last pitch, his catcher set up low and away. Smith stared in and began that free and easy motion, breaking off a wicked curveball.

The bat never moved. Neither did the glove.
              http://www.pbgametime.com/news/santa...scouts/116890/

Studski

Comment

@Jon Heyman
                draft bombshell. RT @FollowtheFrogs TCU's Matt Purke out indefinitely w/ soreness in throwing shoulder. Seeing Dr. Andrews Weds
                sucks
                "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

He was overworked last year.
                  Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                  Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                  Noah Perio
                  Jupiter
                  39 AB
                  15 H
                  0 2B
                  0 3B
                  0 HR
                  0 BB
                  .385/.385/.385

Comment

Michael Kelly went 48 overall. Kyle Smith went 126. Green went 361.

Harris and Jose are dropping pretty far.

Comment

Working...
                    X