No announcement yet.

Giancarlo Stanton, OF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very. And a good excuse for the FO to not pay him.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
      Reason I'd buy him out is his upside is unprecedented. It's like Andre Dawson if the knees never gave out, got infused with Albert Belle's power and got crossbred with awesome. I really don't think that there's been a player like him to come around in a long time. That's not to say I think his upside surpasses everyone in the bigs, far from it, but he has the real potential to be monumentally unprecedented in terms of power production and athletic ability. We're talking about a 20 year old who's already got legit 40 homer potential, what are we talking about when he grows up? 50 a year? 60?

And if he comes up and struggles, worst case scenario, he's Cody Ross or Marcus Thames. He has too much harnessed power to disappear completely. We're not talking doubles that'll eventually get over the wall, it's already there. If we end up with worst case scenario Mike Stanton, we can still absolutely unload him. There's no chance he becomes an albatross because he'll still be incredibly young if we have to pull the plug and teams are always looking for a masher to just kill LHP. Plus, you lock him in now and in 2014 dollars he'll be a retarded bargain. Salaries are going to explode in the next 3 seasons between inflation and MLB soaring past the locked out NBA and NFL.

Comment

• Swift knew he'd be good, you guys.

Comment

• He knew MLB would soar past NFL and NBA too.
          poop

Comment

• I know you crazy guys are having fun and it's not saying much but Swift is clearly smarter than the Marlins Front Office.

Comment

• To be fair, he said his upside is unprecedented.

So unprecedented that he said it is far from surpassing everyone in the bigs.

Comment

• Giancarlo still doesn't have feeling in a little part of his lip area on the left side. He still has to undergo some more dental surgeries and his jaw pops when he opens it fully. Also, Peter Gammons compared G to LeBron with all the pressure on their willing shoulders.
                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• He'll obviously play most of his games in RF, but is it possible that he plays more games at 1B this year considering:

A) Less demanding position defensively for the franchise player.
                  B) Morse is injury prone; even if he doesn't get injured, he's going to need days off.
                  C) There's no real backup 1B option on the roster. The most logical guy is Baker who you don't really want facing RHP at all, and who probably makes more sense on this roster as a backup 2B/3B.
                  D) You know the organization wants to get Ichiro as many AB's as possible.
                  Last edited by Erick; 01-31-2015, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• I know a lot of people have talked about first base as an option for Stanton, but he has trouble fielding a ball from right field. Infield would be a disaster.

Comment

• Stanton may be awful at first base but I think you give him a glove on a day in spring training and gauge how awful he would be at first base . We can assume Yelich can make the transition defensively. I think it comes down to optimizing the number of at bats Ichiro has and by having one of the four outfielders cover first on Morse's rest days.

Comment

• I predict Stanton and/or Yelich won't see an inning at 1b this year. Redmond will just play Baker anyway, or Solano (Red already mentioned this in passing this winter). And if Morse gets hurt it'll be Bour/Baker.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                          I predict Stanton and/or Yelich won't see an inning at 1b this year. Redmond will just play Baker anyway, or Solano (Red already mentioned this in passing this winter). And if Morse gets hurt it'll be Bour/Baker.
                          I feel like the organization would rather give Ichiro AB's than go with those other alternatives. Red mentioned Solano before the Ichiro signing, and we know the Ichiro signing was, in part, a PR move based on how they've talked about him. They want to get him AB's.

They're also not going to bench the starting outfielders often as those are probably the three best players on the team. I think it's possible we'll see Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna, and Ichiro in the same lineup more often than we think.
                          For what it's worth, having those four guys in the lineup is better than playing Solano at 1B or anywhere at all.

Comment

• The anti-Solano thing is weird, considering his career batting line in the majors is basically identical to Ichiro's last four seasons.

Sometimes we talk about the dude like he doesn't deserve to ever even see the field...
                            poop

Comment

• He deserves to be a backup. Nothing more.
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Solano is a perfectly serviceable quad-A type player. He's fine if he's the 25th guy on your roster. It's a problem when he gets 400+ ABs per season, which is what he's had the last three years.

Comment

Working...
                                X