Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article up on the IFA(We won't be involved but still a fun to read)

I mentioned like 6/7 teams will be the busiest because only like 7 teams can spend. We are one of those teams however it mentions SD/Milwaukee/Philly as big spenders this year. Imagine how much it is gonna suck for the younger kids when we are the only team who isn't restricted HAHA.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/164072...onal-prospects

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      I mentioned like 6/7 teams will be the busiest because only like 7 teams can spend. We are one of those teams however it mentions SD/Milwaukee/Philly as big spenders this year. Imagine how much it is gonna suck for the younger kids when we are the only team who isn't restricted HAHA.
      Didn't read the article, but this is kind of interesting.

I'm not exactly sure how IFA signings work, but are the Marlins (knowingly or unknowingly, guessing unknowingly) positioning themselves in 1+ years down the road to be one of the only, or maybe the only, team that can radically spend sums? If so, while that may suck for the younger kids, if the Marlins can corner the money market, you'd expect that to be a good thing for acquiring talent?

I don't know. Just saying. Is their cheapness turning into an IFA asset?

Comment

• Except they have to spend money when that opportunity arrives for it to be an asset.

Comment

• Well hopefully by then, post-All Star Game, it'll be a new ownership group anyway.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, the fact that Yovani Gallardo is still available a week from spring training and the Marlins haven't even attempted to sign him is an absolute joke. Jfc if they added him all of a sudden you have a good(ish) starting rotation and maybe could actually win something for once and you're telling me that the Marlins won't do it because of the $4 million more above the self-fucking-imposed payroll cap it'll cost?

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
            Didn't read the article, but this is kind of interesting.

I'm not exactly sure how IFA signings work, but are the Marlins (knowingly or unknowingly, guessing unknowingly) positioning themselves in 1+ years down the road to be one of the only, or maybe the only, team that can radically spend sums? If so, while that may suck for the younger kids, if the Marlins can corner the money market, you'd expect that to be a good thing for acquiring talent?

I don't know. Just saying. Is their cheapness turning into an IFA asset?
            Well after 2 or 3 seasons it resets. Those teams are out for 2 or 3 years then are allowed back,so they won't be cornering anything. This is the reason why u see SD/Philly/Milwaukee getting in now-because this is their shot before the big boys are allowed back

As for Gallardo,he wants a multi year deal and we are looking for 1 yr deal for like 3 million or minor league deals

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
              Well hopefully by then, post-All Star Game, it'll be a new ownership group anyway.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, the fact that Yovani Gallardo is still available a week from spring training and the Marlins haven't even attempted to sign him is an absolute joke. Jfc if they added him all of a sudden you have a good(ish) starting rotation and maybe could actually win something for once and you're telling me that the Marlins won't do it because of the $4 million more above the self-fucking-imposed payroll cap it'll cost?
              Doesn't he carry draft pick compensation? I can see it, at least somewhat, from the Marlins point of view, even if Gallardo on a one-year deal is a crazy bargain (a la Santana with the Braves) and he probably puts the Marlins into the 85-89 win territory, which means a few "breaking right" things turns the team into a 90 win team that's playing in the wild-card game.

Comment

• The Baltimore Orioles are in negotiations with free-agent right-hander Yovani Gallardo on a three-year deal in the range of $40-45 million, sources told ESPN's Buster Olney.
                http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14...-serious-talks

Comment

• #5 Starter!!!

Craig Breslow gets a minor league deal worth $1.5mil if he makes the roster

Brad Hand was nice knowing ya. Not sure how Mike Dunn is still here but if Breslow makes the team he would take the Hand role as 2nd Lefty. Breslow was said to be holding out tho for a SP job so maybe we gave him the chance?

Still have offers out tho to others
                  Last edited by tjfla; 02-12-2016, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• Solid deal, he's probably a fine 2nd lefty/6th guy in the bullpen.

I think this is suggestive they view Conley as exclusively a starter. I'm guessing he is going to be the 5 and Nicolino the 6 this year with Edwin relegated to long relief.

Comment

Solid deal, he's probably a fine 2nd lefty/6th guy in the bullpen.

I think this is suggestive they view Conley as exclusively a starter. I'm guessing he is going to be the 5 and Nicolino the 6 this year with Edwin relegated to long relief.
                      I still think they add another starter on a cheap deal. I'd be cool with someone like Alfredo Simon competing with Jackson, Conely, and Nicolino for the last spot in the rotation.

Comment

Solid deal, he's probably a fine 2nd lefty/6th guy in the bullpen.

Looks like they are still looking for a #5 but cheap like minor league deal OR possible 1 yr with tons of incentives. They got offers out to Lohse,Lincecum and Simon

They really want Jackson in the pen with #5 job going to winner of Conley,Nicolino,Breslow,Phelps and FA that they sign. Also Breslow is expected to be like Lou said "2nd Lefty/6th Guy". They just didn't wanna give him a major league deal and him come into camp looking worst then our farm system.

Jose/Chen/Koehler/Cosart/? with Nicolino,Conley,Esch in AAA
                        AJ/Capps/Dunn/Jackson/Breslow/Morris with Bearclaw,Ellington,Scooter,Wittgren,Urena,Flores,L azo,Patton,Ege in AAA

Looks like AAA might have some pitching depth and they are still on the lookout for more guys on minor league deals
                        Last edited by tjfla; 02-13-2016, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• Barraclough will make the team. You only have 11 P there and the Marlins never go with 14 bats.

Hell, they seem to find a way to carry 13 arms for 3-4 weeks ever year.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                            Barraclough will make the team. You only have 11 P there and the Marlins never go with 14 bats.

Hell, they seem to find a way to carry 13 arms for 3-4 weeks ever year.
                            Ya only put 11 cause never know with this team. Likely 12 arms with the last job coming down to Bearclaw/Ellington or a minor league deal vet

Comment

• You gotta figure the roster is gonna be something like:

Gordon, Prado, Yelich, Stanton, Bour, Ozuna, Realmuto, Hech, Rojas, Ichiro, Mathis, Dietrich, Johnson (13)

Fernandez, Chen, Cosart, Koehler, Conley/Nicolino, Phelps/Jackson, Breslow/Hand, Barraclough/Ellington, Dunn, Morris, Capps, Ramos (12 of those)

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm actually pretty ok with that roster. Doesn't feel like there's enough room to cram in another starter unless you're taking a flier on a guy like Cliff Lee. Health and consistency is the big thing, it's always the big thing, but I feel better about that roster than I did about the 2015 one tbh.

Comment

• But with that rotation it's SEASON OVER if one of Fernandez and Chen has a injury that forces them to miss 10-12 starts.

Comment

Working...
                                X