Jarrod Saltalamacchia Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
    All 30 teams would take a backup catcher with a .681 OPS.
    Backup Catchers are usually guys who know how to handle pitchers,play defense and whatever they hit is a bonus. Salty can't handle pitchers,play defense or hit. Some AL team will give him a shot tho-3rd Catcher,LHB off bench and DH

Comment

Except his first month here looks like an aberration and he probably shouldn't be catching anymore. Just about every metric says he's terrible defensively.

Comment

Nobody's saying he wasn't terrible.

His roster spot is going to a combination of Jhonathan Solano and Reid Brignac. That's the problem.

Comment

Because I'm sure a backup catcher with a .681 OPS is going to make a sizeable difference. He was ripped by Marlins fans since he was signed, and now that he's gone, we say we are going to miss him. I think that's silly.

If it's due to the money we're paying him, that's fair, but due to performance?

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
          I have a problem with a team that constantly cries poor literally throwing away $15 million, and I'm not going to defend it out of some misguided sense of spite. This is a dumb move.

Also, framing it as "Salty vs. Realmuto" is really, really dumb. If you think Salty isn't better than Jhonaton Solano, I don't really know what to say.
          This is all fair.

Comment

His roster spot is going to a combination of Jhonathan Solano and Reid Brignac. That's the problem.
            He probably became a distraction off the field.

Comment

His roster spot is going to Realmuto who they wanted to start in the majors in ST but couldnt. Mathis will be back soon catching 1 or 2 days a week and Solano while nothing great is a pretty decent backup catcher. He can call a decent game and solid defensively-Salty is neither anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                That would be my guess. They wouldn't be paying him to go away if he wasn't becoming a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                  I have a problem with a team that constantly cries poor literally throwing away $15 million, and I'm not going to defend it out of some misguided sense of spite. This is a dumb move.

Also, framing it as "Salty vs. Realmuto" is really, really dumb. If you think Salty isn't better than Jhonaton Solano, I don't really know what to say.
                  We don't know what's going on in the clubhouse. If he was becoming a distraction off the field, it's better to just let him go since he sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                    That would be my guess. They wouldn't be paying him to go away if he wasn't becoming a problem.
                    Yeah. I mean, for the Marlins to pay someone to leave, you know something must be going on.

Comment

BINGO-the clubhouse issue was the reason he was let go instead of kept on the roster. People were saying he was badmouthing Red-saying he shouldn't have lost his job and bringing the whole clubhouse down. THis was even more apparent this weekend when he was no where near the team. People were saying it was a total different team!!

Comment

#inside #info #insideinfo
                        poop

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but: We have to pay his entire contract when we release him, yes? I'm kind of scared of the 8m that was due next year preventing the FO from improving the team this year with a trade (if we're doing well)

- - - - - - - - - -

Pretty preemptive thinking when the team is under .500 though, ha

Comment

The only mistake the Marlins made with Salty this year was not pinch-hitting for him on Opening Day. We'd be 9-10 instead of 8-11.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                              Correct me if I'm wrong but: We have to pay his entire contract when we release him, yes? I'm kind of scared of the 8m that was due next year preventing the FO from improving the team this year with a trade (if we're doing well)

- - - - - - - - - -

Pretty preemptive thinking when the team is under .500 though, ha
                              Yep if he clears waivers we owe him whatever he has on the contract

- - - - - - - - - -

The only mistake the Marlins made with Salty this year was not pinch-hitting for him on Opening Day. We'd be 9-10 instead of 8-11.
                              Opening Day? I recall at least 4 games this year he has been up with Bases Loaded 1 Out and he struckout all 4 times. Least Realmuto has shown he can put the ball in play

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                Yep if he clears waivers we owe him whatever he has on the contract
                                But we are basically getting a free year of Haren, Gordon, and Prado this year, so it's pretty much a wash, no?

Comment

Working...
                                X