No announcement yet.

Nate Eovaldi, SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are some serious advanced baseball stats. I like.

I'm wondering though if that sample size is really enough to mean anything........?

800+ pitches sounds like a lot. Shit, I don't know.

Comment

Well, he did 81 games, so it's half a season's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
        Those are some serious advanced baseball stats. I like.

I'm wondering though if that sample size is really enough to mean anything........?

800+ pitches sounds like a lot. Shit, I don't know.
        It's really neat numbers and stuff I'd be interested in seeing tracked but I agree that it's not a representative sample size.

Comment

That and he's being compared to one of the worst defensive catchers at the time and who isn't even allowed to catch anymore

Comment

Nathan Eovaldi is going to make at least one more minor-league start with the Double A Jacksonville Suns before he joins the Marlins, manager Mike Redmond said Wednesday.
            Eovaldi made his third rehab start Tuesday and allowed three runs in the top half of the first but settled in afterward, finishing his outing after 4 2/3 innings. He gave up four runs, all earned, struck out four and walked four. But his velocity was good, according to Redmond.

“I felt good, the shoulder feels fine overall,” Eovaldi told the Suns’ media. “At the beginning of the game, I was just a little bit excited.

“ I’m glad to be back out there. I was rushing things a little bit, but that settled down later.”

In his three minor-league starts, Eovaldi is 0-1 with a 4.61 ERA, six walks and seven strikeouts. Opponents are hitting .288 off him.
            Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/06/0...#storylink=cpy
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Eovaldi threw 100.1 mph last night according to Fangraphs Pitch FX. Brooks baseball had it at 101.5 mph.

I know it means nothing but still wow especially for a starter in the 7th inning. Just wish he would miss some more bats, still as our #4/#5 pretty good all in all.

Comment

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...aking-name-mlb

Acquired from Los Angeles in the deal that sent Hanley Ramirez to the Dodgers last year, the 23-year-old Eovaldi is perhaps best known for being a product of the same Texas high school that Nolan Ryan attended. That's beginning to change, however. Eovaldi is now hitting triple digits on the radar gun and showing flashes of the talent that made him so appealing to the Marlins when they were shopping Ramirez.

Eovaldi's career numbers may look underwhelming, but it's important to remember that he was just 21 when the Dodgers skipped him past Triple-A to help reinforce a tattered rotation in 2011. He flashed potential in 16 starts with Los Angeles over 2011-12 before being traded, though he generally struggled with his control. Still, a FIP of 4.18 through 154 innings over his first two seasons put him at only slightly below league average, which was 4.01 last season. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being an average major leaguer before your 23rd birthday.

A bout with shoulder soreness delayed his 2013 debut until June. But in the 10 starts since, he's allowed more than three runs just once. While his 3.83 FIP doesn't quite back up his 2.82 ERA, it does continue his trend of improvement each year. As with many young pitchers, Eovaldi needs to improve his secondary pitches, though his slider is showing promise. Eovaldi's ceiling is short of an "ace," but with fellow young pitching talents like Fernandez and Jacob Turner in the Miami rotation, it doesn't need to be.
                suck it mainge
                Originally posted by Madman81
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Mainge probably feels great since Eovaldi's ERA came back to life the start right after that was written.

Since the article brought up Turner as well, it's pretty weird how similar Turner and Eovaldi's peripherals are. They're basically the same guy right now.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                    He sucks

Comment

I don't think "sucks" is an accurate description. There's certainly value in a cost-controlled #3/#4 type guy capable of throwing 200 innings. I think that's what Eovaldi already is right now at the big league level and he can certainly still improve.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                        Mainge probably feels great since Eovaldi's ERA came back to life the start right after that was written.

Since the article brought up Turner as well, it's pretty weird how similar Turner and Eovaldi's peripherals are. They're basically the same guy right now.
                        Definitely disappointing to see Turner's control go. Went from 2.49 BB/9 first 7 starts (and great control with us last season) to 5.14 his past 7 starts. I had hopes for him in that he had the control, he just needed to start striking peeps out. Instead he's taken a step back all together.

Comment

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/natha...rdano-ventura/

Cool breakdown on what Eovaldi has done this season

Comment

After today he'll be rocking nearly a 57% gb rate.
                            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

My eyes tell me he's been unlucky so far this year.

/adds very little

Comment

I was super excited for Eovaldi's K-rate spike early in the season. Seemed like he was finally turning all that velocity into actual swings and misses.

4.9 K/9 over his last 10 starts.

Forget it.
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X