The Official Miami Marlins "Sale of the Team" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mas is my guy at this point.

-I'd love to have Jeter involved in the organization (really just to be a face), but he insists on complete control when putting in a fraction of the money, nor does he know what he's doing to be in charge of the whole thing (both ownership and GM)

-Both other groups have so many people involved, I'm worried about ownership infighting, which cripples the organization.

-Mas seems to have the money available now (both himself, and with a couple of other investors that are reportedly may be in with him). I'm concerned with the other groups that if they're struggling to scrape together the money just to make the bid, would they have enough to run the franchise after that?

Comment

• Loria is handling this negotiation the way the team (He) handles most trades. Overplaying his hand, and eventually losing out on value (and quality). In the end, though, in both cases the fans are always the big losers.

Comment

• I do not care who is the owner. Enough of this shit already. Literally any of the 3 are fine and will want to spend money on the team and actually have an interest in the team. How is it possible that Loria can do truly nothing right and cant attempt anything without it being a complete dumpster fire.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          I do not care who is the owner. Enough of this shit already. Literally any of the 3 are fine and will want to spend money on the team and actually have an interest in the team. How is it possible that Loria can do truly nothing right and cant attempt anything without it being a complete dumpster fire.
          If they're struggling to get enough money to buy the team, why would they have enough to run it?

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
            If they're struggling to get enough money to buy the team, why would they have enough to run it?
            I think youre conflating 2 different things. This is obviously an exaggerated hypothetical, but if youre a millionaire and someone is selling something that is worth $1000 but is asking for $10,000, a smart investor wont pay $10,000. that doesnt mean they dont have the money, that means they arent willing to ridiculously overpay for something. Loria is asking for way more than this franchise is worth. That is what I believe is holding up this process more than anything. Smart businessmen dont overpay for things even if they have the money. It makes it harder to turn a profit on your investment.

Comment

I think youre conflating 2 different things. This is obviously an exaggerated hypothetical, but if youre a millionaire and someone is selling something that is worth $1000 but is asking for $10,000, a smart investor wont pay $10,000. that doesnt mean they dont have the money, that means they arent willing to ridiculously overpay for something. Loria is asking for way more than this franchise is worth. That is what I believe is holding up this process more than anything. Smart businessmen dont overpay for things even if they have the money. It makes it harder to turn a profit on your investment.
              Right, I get that. But reports are they can't get close to even being close to what they need to purchase the team, overvalued or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                Right, I get that. But reports are they can't get close to even being close to what they need to purchase the team, overvalued or not.
                Reports are Mas is offering 1.17 billion or something aroudn there. Also, that guy is filthy rich. He has the money. The price is the biggest issue and has been all along since it was reported Loria wanted that 1.3 billion. Some of those other groups might have an issue getting to 1.3 billion, but I think that might be because people are hesitant to give money to become an owner for that price. That is a huge gulf between 1.3 billion and 1.17. Might make it impossible to turn a profit in their minds.

- - - - - - - - - -

In general, if 2 businessmen have differing opinions on somethings value, and one of the people is Jeffrey Loria, go with the other party.

Comment

Reports are Mas is offering 1.17 billion or something aroudn there. Also, that guy is filthy rich. He has the money. The price is the biggest issue and has been all along since it was reported Loria wanted that 1.3 billion. Some of those other groups might have an issue getting to 1.3 billion, but I think that might be because people are hesitant to give money to become an owner for that price. That is a huge gulf between 1.3 billion and 1.17. Might make it impossible to turn a profit in their minds.

- - - - - - - - - -

In general, if 2 businessmen have differing opinions on somethings value, and one of the people is Jeffrey Loria, go with the other party.
                  Yeah, I wasn't talking about Mas; I know he has the money. I was referring to the Jeter group mostly, and to a lesser extent the Romney group (which seems to have better backing than Jeter's group).

Comment

• So if Loria drives everyone out of the bidding or if they look like they are walking, will MLB intervene in "best interests of baseball ?". What will be that point that they threaten to do that even ? And does Loria take them to court if they do, and what secrets does he know that he will tell in a courtroom ? These are all real questions that seem pretty relevant.

But MLB allowed that scumbag into MLB, so they made their bed and now have to lie in ir.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                      So if Loria drives everyone out of the bidding or if they look like they are walking, will MLB intervene in "best interests of baseball ?". What will be that point that they threaten to do that even ? And does Loria take them to court if they do, and what secrets does he know that he will tell in a courtroom ? These are all real questions that seem pretty relevant.

But MLB allowed that scumbag into MLB, so they made their bed and now have to lie in ir.
                      I'm not sure how they haven't done that already.

---

To me, it sounds like Loria's Yankees obsession is causing him to prefer Jeter no matter what, and is allowing Jeter to get money together. He also wants the most money, but it seems like none of the three are willing to bump up their offer to his figure; so therefore, since he's not getting the number he wants, and if the groups all bid around the same amount, he wants to go with his Yankees guy, Jeter.

Whether that's what's going on, or if he's just being his usual cheap self and wanting the most money no matter what, it sounds like a usual Loria circus.

---

Are franchise sales usually this public (bidders and such), or is it just because it's the Marlins?
                      Last edited by rmc523; 07-19-2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• Tagg Romney now out according to Jon Heyman. Why cant this just end already?

Comment

• I guess that's good for Mas.
                          "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                          - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• This has gone on so long, the Romney group has become the Bush group. It likely doesn't matter since Romney didn't have the money in that group...Rothbaum does. Can someone just please buy this team already?!

Comment

• Patiently awaiting the news that Tagg has joined the Jeter group.

Comment

• https://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/mar...n-marlins-bid/

Derek Jeter has told some people he may be amenable to keeping Miami Marlins president David Samson in some job/role should Jeter get the team, and some people around the game wonder if that stance could help sway the Marlins’ current ownership to prefer Jeter to win the bid that’s currently being pursued by three groups that have all seemed like the favorite at different times.

A source close to Samson said he has made it absolutely clear from the start that there will be no discussion of his potential role during negotiations with any of the groups, and that does appear to be the case with at least one or two of the groups. It may well be true with all three – Jeter’s lead guy Greg Fleming didn’t return a call – but in any case, word has widely circulated throughout baseball circles that Jeter is willing to at least consider roles for some top current Marlins people, including the team president Samson, so it’s hard to imagine anyone in a key spot with the Marlins wouldn’t have heard about this possibility at some point, even accidentally
                                Ugh, you've got to be kidding me; no Jeter please.

Comment

Working...
                                X