No announcement yet.

Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They traded a comp pick for Morris right? Seems like something they would do again and target a lefty with 4+ years of control.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
      They traded a comp pick for Morris right? Seems like something they would do again and target a lefty with 4+ years of control.
      Ya like said would have been Atlanta's for Cervenka if they held it in July like it was suppose to be. Alot of rebuilding teams that know how to draft(Atl/SD/White Sox/Cincy) would love to have the extra 1.7 million to play with even more so than the Top 40 pick
      Last edited by tjfla; 12-13-2016, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
        Mish says Marlins offer was 5/86. With no state tax, that means Jensen took over $10m less to stay in LA
        2.3% annual pay cut to work for one of the best run companies v.s. one of the worst.

Good choice on his part

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Erick View Post
        Jason Hammel's 4.42 career ERA.
        Flat ERA not very good to look at, with so much time spent in coors and AL east. 101 ERA+ in the last 8 years, putting him as an average starter. Which would make him the ace of their staff.

Fister would be god awful but Hammel would be pretty cool

Comment

• Got our 1B/OF right handed bat(yes joking-just AAA depth)

Signed 1B Tyler Moore and SP Stephen Fife to minor league deals

Fife had TJ in 8/2014 so maybe something still??

Bryan Morris to SF
          Last edited by tjfla; 12-13-2016, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Not sure how you could call Hammel pretty cool but Fister awful. I'd like fister a lot more cause his ceiling is higher and he's a few years younger.

Comment

• I've seen a handful of people who hated the idea of Jansen but really want Fister. Weird.

Comment

• I don't believe anyone actually values fister over jansen. It's more investment/return in relation to the teams current standing. Jansen cost $80 million and adds maybe 2 or 3 wins to a mid 70 win team. Fister may not help much, but the Marlins are far more desperate at starting pitcher than closer that the improvement from say Locke to Fister for $8 million makes far more sense than the addition of jansen to an already above average bullpen for $80

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                  I've seen a handful of people who hated the idea of Jansen but really want Fister. Weird.
                  i dont think anyone is doing that based on thinking Fister is more valuable, it's about efficient allocated of resources as a small market team.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                    I don't believe anyone actually values fister over jansen. It's more investment/return in relation to the teams current standing. Jansen cost $80 million and adds maybe 2 or 3 wins to a mid 70 win team. Fister may not help much, but the Marlins are far more desperate at starting pitcher than closer that the improvement from say Locke to Fister for $8 million makes far more sense than the addition of jansen to an already above average bullpen for $80

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
                    Exactly. Finding quality closers is something this front office has actually done well. I have no problem giving a Ziegler or Feliz a short term deal, but any major money should go toward the rotation. I also didn't want to give up a 1st rounder for a closer. If they want to give up the pick to sign Encarnacion or Trumbo to add to the lineup, that's one thing, but for 70 innings when they already have good options in the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings? No thanks.

Comment

• Jeff Loria's new slogan-Just driving up the prices!!

Uehara we all heard was going to the Cubs for 4.5 million well looks like we made a last ditch effort on him and like usual missed BUT drove the price up to 6 million

So we cost the Cubs 1.5 million. Nothing more than some WS merch

Also McGowan signed for 1.75 million which is one reason we resigned him. That plus he was effective last year

Looks like Ziegler,Feliz,Tazawa will be making decisions soon

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                      Give me Ziegler, Encarnacion, and Hammel/Fister. Jansen would have been a horrible signing.
                      Still no clue where the Encarnacion talk is from? Hearing NOTHING about him at all. As for Hammel we like him but he seems to want more(years and cash)then we wanna spend at this point. Fister is a name that still pops up as does Travis Wood. They like Travis Wood but he wants SP cash

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                        Jeff Loria's new slogan-Just driving up the prices!!

Uehara we all heard was going to the Cubs for 4.5 million well looks like we made a last ditch effort on him and like usual missed BUT drove the price up to 6 million

So we cost the Cubs 1.5 million. Nothing more than some WS merch

Also McGowan signed for 1.75 million which is one reason we resigned him. That plus he was effective last year

Looks like Ziegler,Feliz,Tazawa will be making decisions soon
                        Not bad value for McGowan. He was really good in the 6th-7th inning role last year.

Any of those 3 arms would improve the bullpen with the added bonus of not costing $80 million. Sign one and then focus on adding another starter.

Comment

• Except Doug Fister is not good?

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                            Except Doug Fister is not good?
                            Another factor is Jeff Locke. I know people think he is crap and want Fister/Hammel/trade BUT our rotation already has 4 guys locked in and they really don't wanna spend 10 million+ on a #5 starter. If they prices come down of course they would jump on someone but Locke at 3 million as a #5 Starter isn't bad. He isn't a #1/2 but he WAS an All Star in 2013 and looked good under Benedict

Have Locke as #5. Urena/Fife and likely 2 more "injured" arms in AAA that can be called on if needed
                            Last edited by tjfla; 12-14-2016, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• It's been awhile guys (grad school gets demanding at times) and i finally got caught up reading this thread.

The question is do we care about competing next year? Because everyone here knows the current roster isn't set to do that. Loria can't exactly blow up the team with all eyes on Miami with the all star game here (since Jose passed, I think this would be the best baseball move if done correctly; but I have no faith in the people in charge to do so). So it really comes down to does Loria want to try to compete or try to be mediocre? Signing someone like Fister to a deal at this point doesn't make sense unless we're all in. The team should fight for a mediocre record without losing a key contributor. But the thought behind adding a guy like Fister is that the team won't be trotting out 12+ different starters; not because we'd project him to be worth an additional win over Locke. I'd prefer not to sign anyone to anything longer than 2 years since long term contracts are an indication he's not selling until the team gets blown apart.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                                Not sure how you could call Hammel pretty cool but Fister awful. I'd like fister a lot more cause his ceiling is higher and he's a few years younger.
                                Because it's been years since Fister has been good and he was downright awful last year.

Saying he has a higher ceiling is completely ignoring a downward trend and present results because of what he used to be. He does not have a higher ceiling. He's most likely going to have a worse year next year and that's saying something with how bad he was last year.

Wanting Fister is living in the past. Live in the present. He has sucked and he's just going to get worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X