The Official Miami Marlins "Sale of the Team" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
    Rothbaum was a competing bidder. I don't think he is part of the Bush-Jeter group.
    Oh ok. Must have read that wrong but i thought i read he was part of this group.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
      Excited but cautiously optimistic

Please God don't bring back the teal and black. I love the new Marlins uni's.
      thisx2
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
        thisx2
        I liked them at the time, but looking back at video clips they show with the old uniforms, and they look dated.

That said, I wouldn't mind an occasional throwback game where they wear the old uniforms.

Comment

• http://assets.craniumfitteds.com/ima...-Era-Cap-2.jpg

I really like the look of this hat. The old meets the new.

- - - - - - - - - -

http://assets.craniumfitteds.com/ima...-New-Era-1.jpg

Or go full Miami Vice with the pink and the teal.

Comment

• I like our uniforms now. I could care less about stuff like that. The biggest impact this sale is going to have is on stuff like investing in scouting, the draft, and player development, and that is absolutely huge.

The only thing I dont like is that it is reported that Mike Hill is going to stay on as of now. I think he is a nice guy, and its hard to differentiate between his decisions with the limits that Loria imposes on him, but id like to see us overhaul our front office and hire a guy that has played a major part in one of the more successful front offices in the league like Chicago, Boston, Dodgers, or maybe even Cleveland. All have good young baseball Ops presidents who know how to integrate new age information while not completely abandoning old school methods. That is the way the best teams in baseball are going about building teams and we desperately need to get up to date in that respect.

- - - - - - - - - -

I just saw on twitter the ramifications for Loria based on when he sells the team. Needless to say, this will become official the day after opening day next year. Anything before that and that is within the first 6 years of the new stadium and he loses 5% of the net proceeds.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              I like our uniforms now. I could care less about stuff like that. The biggest impact this sale is going to have is on stuff like investing in scouting, the draft, and player development, and that is absolutely huge.

The only thing I dont like is that it is reported that Mike Hill is going to stay on as of now. I think he is a nice guy, and its hard to differentiate between his decisions with the limits that Loria imposes on him, but id like to see us overhaul our front office and hire a guy that has played a major part in one of the more successful front offices in the league like Chicago, Boston, Dodgers, or maybe even Cleveland. All have good young baseball Ops presidents who know how to integrate new age information while not completely abandoning old school methods. That is the way the best teams in baseball are going about building teams and we desperately need to get up to date in that respect.

- - - - - - - - - -

I just saw on twitter the ramifications for Loria based on when he sells the team. Needless to say, this will become official the day after opening day next year. Anything before that and that is within the first 6 years of the new stadium and he loses 5% of the net proceeds.
              Yeah, I remember there being a clause in the stadium agreement saying if he sold the team before X year that he'd have to give a percentage to the city/county, but I couldn't ever remember what year it was.

As for the thought of retaining Mike Hill.....my bet is that would be a temporary thing depending on the timeline of the sale. In other words, for example, if the sale happens after opening day next year like you said, they'd keep him for the year and bring in the new guy in the offseason. I agree with you though about overhauling the front office, though. Moves like not even attempting to find another cheap bench bat/Bour platoon with so many options out there to me point to Hill. I get that some of the options were out of the Loria price range, but there were several guys out there that could've been had for cheap, but they felt we're good as-is, again ignoring the inevitable rash of injuries we'll have where we'll miss 1/3 of the lineup for half the season.

Comment

• Tons of talk but honestly still looking at the 2018/19 season as NEW OWNERSHIP which is why Mike Hill will be retained more than likely for now. Kinda hard to replace everyone in the FO from early March-thru the season. But after see u Mike Hill/Stan Meek/scouts/coaches/players

Wouldn't be surprised tho that they told him don't make any deals at all. Just minor stuff. But ya as soon as they have time to interview and get a President-Mike Hill is gone

Comment

• An article by Ken Rosenthal:

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/d...senthal-042517

And one by Jeff Passan:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/derek-...040339374.html

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                    Best thing about the articles is they talk about increased payroll funding and actually using Miami's location to get Latin players(Other words-IFA/Cubans). Its not really a "new" strategy just need to be willing to put in the money to invest in these things-Jeff says no thanks he would rather send Stan Meek back home to OK and let him draft guys

WBC attendence also helped the increased interest in the team. 37,446 people came to a game(set a Marlins Park record) and the new groups realized if u can get guys from Puerto Rico,DR,Cuba,Latin Countries that the fans WILL come to support them

I understand Jeff doesn't spend cash so DR,Cuba,IFA kids aren't coming BUT always been suprised that we don't draft more guys from Puerto Rico. Every year they have 25 or so solid kids who will sign for cheap(they go to baseball academies instead of schools so the choices are either sign with the team that drafts them or go to CC). Instead of drafting 24 yr olds,draft some 17 yr old from PR and offer 50K

Comment

• https://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/mar...eter-bush-far/

This report by Heyman says that the Bush/Jeter group is still putting money together...

Insiders who have been following the Marlins sale were stunned the Derek Jeter-Jeb Bush group was reported to have an agreement for $1.3 billion (the figure may actually be slightly higher than that, if there really is an agreement) to buy the team, as they were not seen for most of the process as having the money to do so. And it’s not clear they have the money yet.

Sources say that in recent days the Jeter-Bush group even went to prospective buyers in other groups to try to lure them away, and there was no evidence those efforts succeeded, at least not initially. And that could still be ongoing.

Comment

• Ugh
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...427-story.html

Here are a few quotes from Rob Manfred....

Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred says two groups are still bidding to buy the Miami Marlins from Jeffrey Loria.

Former New York Yankees captain Derek Jeter and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush are involved in one of the groups. Manfred said some reports on the sale have been premature, noting that “there is not a signed document on any topic.”

“There are multiple bidders for the Marlins,” Manfred said Thursday at the groundbreaking for the Jackie Robinson Museum in New York. “There is no agreement in place. We're working with more than one group, and when we have a definitive agreement we'll make an announcement.”

Asked about the timeline, Manfred responded: “The timeline is relatively short; it would be measured in days, not months.”

“We still have two groups involved in the process,” he added. “Timing is one of the things that both the buyer and the seller are working through, so it's just impossible to say at this point, and I don't want to get into really what the issues are. The only reason I commented on this at all is there had been so much out there that really [is] not quite accurate.”
                          So apparently there are still 2 bidders, and sounds like it could be coming soon......there's an owners meeting in the middle of May, perhaps they could vote on it then?

Comment

• at the very least, we know this is for real this time

the only thing that would make me happier than Loria selling is if he allowed us to tar and feather him on his way out, or drop him in a dunk tank or something

Comment

• More info out this morning...

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/...rlins-bid.html

Derek Jeter and Jeb Bush face the herculean task of having to raise nearly $1 billion in cash from outside investors if they want to complete their planned purchase of the Miami Marlins, a move that should, if successful, allow them to fulfill their $1.34 billion bid for the Major League Baseball franchise, FOX Business has learned.

These details of the Marlins sale, which have yet to be reported, helps explain the high stakes drama taking place over one of baseball’s more mediocre franchises—and the financial tightrope Jeter and Bush must walk to secure their bid, while staying in control of the franchise if they do indeed come up with the cash.

The investment team led by Jeter, an all-star shortstop for the Yankees, and Bush, the former Florida governor and 2016 GOP presidential candidate, have now found themselves in the middle of this frenzy, when, as reported by FOX Business, they emerged as the “preferred bidder” for the team with their $1.34 billion offer for the Marlins.

Jeter and Bush are expected to invest no more than $200 million combined, which means they will have to raise between $800 million and $900 million in cash to complete the purchase under the guidelines of major league commissioner Rob Manfred, who won’t approve a deal with a high level of debt.

The task will be a difficult one if Jeter and Bush want to remain as the principal owners of the team—and not give up operating control to other investors-- given how much money they will need to raise, baseball executives tell FOX Business.

In securing the preferred bid, Jeter and Bush bested the $1.1 billion offer from a group led by Tagg Romney, the son of 2012 GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney, and the $1 billion bid from a group led by hedge fund investor Wayne Rothbaum, the founder of Quogue Capital.

As a result the Jeter-Bush team received what’s known as an “exclusive negotiating window” to raise money to complete the purchase, people with direct knowledge of the matter tell FOX Business. This window is expected to last at least until June, as the duo and investment banker, Gregg Fleming, a former top executive at Morgan Stanley (MS), works around the clock dialing for dollars to close the sale, these people add.

Fleming is said have cast a wide net for investors, including seeking possible candidates from South America, according to people with direct knowledge of the matter.

The difficult task of raising so much money is why Major League Baseball has been hesitant to emphatically state that Jeter and Bush have won the bidding war, despite some initial reports suggesting they had.

A senior executive inside the commissioner’s office said that as of now the Marlins haven’t officially approached Major League Baseball about the Jeter-Bush bid. That will be done if and when they raise the requisite cash to complete the deal.

Meanwhile, other possible bidders are willing to step in if the Jeter-Bush bid falls through, the executive said.

“There are multiple bidders for the Marlins. We still have two groups involved in the process,” said Manfred at an event to commemorate the ground breaking for the Jackie Robinson Museum on Thursday. “There is no agreement in place. We're working with more than one group, and when we have a definitive agreement we'll make an announcement."
                              So basically....

Bush/Jeter group's bid is $1.34 billion, but they only have $200 million of it between the two of them and would need to raise the rest and are trying to do that now.

Romney/Glavine's bid is $1.1 billion.

Bush/Jeter have an "exclusive negotiating window" to raise the rest of the money, and apparently this window will last until June. If that deal falls through, they'll go back to other bidders, which would be Romney/Glavine's group first I'm sure unless someone jumps in.
                              Last edited by rmc523; 05-02-2017, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• So basically, we'll be in the same boat we are with Loria : cash poor owner, who has no business owning a team....only good part is Loria will be out of the picture, but we'll still be the "fake" MLB team.

Comment

Working...
                                X