2013 Trade Deadline Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
    He traded those players because he is cheap. Why does it matter whether we called him cheap earlier or later? Had he traded Johnson at the deadline last year people would have been upset, but people were outraged with the Toronto deal. Is it better because we consolidated the criticism to one period of time?
    He traded those players because the team proved to be garbage, as well.

Josh Johnson probably wasn't worth much more at the deadline last year.
    --------------------
    Also, when was the appropriate time to trade Hanley?
    Last edited by Erick; 07-28-2013, 04:52 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I wanted to keep Hanley and trade JJ last year.

/brings nothing to the conversation

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
        Again, I don't see how one has anything to do with the other. I never said Willis had more value. Willis had value and so did Johnson when they were traded (Johnson had more obviously). Both could have gotten a better return had they been traded earlier.

Willis was coming off of a down year, but he was still young and was solid two seasons prior to that trade. He wasn't going to get a big time return, but he still had some value. He was far from seen as a throw in on that trade. It's revisionist history to say otherwise.
        Because I think it's unfair to portray it the way you've done here. Being negative about trading JJ too late while also finding a way to be negative about not getting enough for Dontrelle Willis. It suggests that you're just seeking negatives that don't really exist.

JJ was coming off a season that he missed most of due to injury - his value probably wasn't skyrocketing at that point. Maybe you wanted him gone at the deadline - I doubt that makes much of a difference. Not sure that much existed to hurt his value between then and the end of the season. Maybe teams were more desperate at the deadline, but they used him as a way to restructure after the season (when his value hadn't dropped much, if at all).

And Willis sucked. He was young and shitty, but he was shitty.

I don't disagree with you that they don't have to have anything to do with one another, but you've used them both to suggest there is some pattern with ruining trades and not trading guys at the right time or not getting the right return. That makes one have to do with the other. You've used both to paint a picture of something that doesn't really exist, at least as it relates to those two examples.

Comment

• Seem that even tho Chad Qualls is a FA and prolly 100% chance of leaving in the offseason,we are telling teams he is NOT available

I havent heard if it just talk to try to drive up the price but thats the report.

Webb,Polanco,Dobbs,Pierre,Ruggiano are all still on the market tho and Mike Dunn is being listened on however won't be dealt unless get a young ML arm AND prospect(Clev and Atl are still hot on him)

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            I havent heard if it just talk to try to drive up the price but thats the report.
            Who would be able to confirm this for you?

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
              Seem that even tho Chad Qualls is a FA and prolly 100% chance of leaving in the offseason,we are telling teams he is NOT available

Webb,Polanco,Dobbs,Pierre,Ruggiano are all still on the market tho and Mike Dunn is being listened on however won't be dealt unless get a young ML arm AND prospect(Clev and Atl are still hot on him)
              That's dumb. I read that they want to keep Qualls to make sure the bullpen doesn't blow leads for the young pitchers. Wait till Qualls regresses to what he has been his entire career, an average reliever.

As for Dunn, that would be phenomenal if a team matched that price. I think Rugg has the best shot of bringing us a decent return.

Comment

• Yeah, market should be huge for Ruggiano. Its hard to find OFers with sub-.650 OPS.

Comment

• ehe, OFer is like a pun

Comment

• Yeah I have no idea why I put er on it.

Comment

• Because he's O-fer

Comment

• .750 OPS and .247 ISO on the road with a .326 wOBA. .730 OPS and .222 ISO against lefties, he could interest some teams. I agree with Michael Jong's assessment on Fishstripes of his trade value.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
                          Because I think it's unfair to portray it the way you've done here. Being negative about trading JJ too late while also finding a way to be negative about not getting enough for Dontrelle Willis. It suggests that you're just seeking negatives that don't really exist.

JJ was coming off a season that he missed most of due to injury - his value probably wasn't skyrocketing at that point. Maybe you wanted him gone at the deadline - I doubt that makes much of a difference. Not sure that much existed to hurt his value between then and the end of the season. Maybe teams were more desperate at the deadline, but they used him as a way to restructure after the season (when his value hadn't dropped much, if at all).

And Willis sucked. He was young and shitty, but he was shitty.

I don't disagree with you that they don't have to have anything to do with one another, but you've used them both to suggest there is some pattern with ruining trades and not trading guys at the right time or not getting the right return. That makes one have to do with the other. You've used both to paint a picture of something that doesn't really exist, at least as it relates to those two examples.
                          I don't think Willis was shitty. He had a shitty year, but he was a good to solid pitcher every year prior. The fact that he was young is relevant because teams tend to not write off young players after one bad year.

Regardless, my point wasn't to use Willis as an example of getting less than you can for players, I just mentioned him when talking about the Cabrera trade. My overall point was that this FO has a history of selling low on players when they could have gotten more previously in their careers. If anything, trading Willis when he has no value makes that case stronger, but that wasn't my intent. I'm worried that ultimately the Marlins will have to trade Stanton and for whatever reason, be it injury, reduced production, or teams knowing they have to trade him because they can't afford him, his value will not be where it is today. I think history tells us Loria will wait until he HAS to trade him (like TJ said in the original post I quoted) and whatever reason that forces them to do so will lead to the Marlins getting less than they could get now.

I seriously hope I'm wrong. I hope Stanton buys into the youth movement and Loria realizes you need to eventually keep a superstar and Stanton becomes the cornerstone Evan Longoria-type of the Marlins as they become the NL version of the Rays. All of that could happen if Loria lets it.

Comment

• Stanton will buy into the youth movement when they offer him a 6/$80 extension.
                            --------------------
                            I'd say $90-100, but his numbers are down and legitimate injury concerns make him take that deal. Free agent at 28 so his agent won't complain. Either way.
                            Last edited by lou; 07-29-2013, 12:23 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I really hope some sense comes into this soon and we sign Stanton long term. As he gets older and identifies the breaking ball down better he is gonna be better than he is even now.

Comment

• Looks like we are trying to improve our 2B or 3B for 2014. We had talks with LAA about Kendrick/Callaspo/Aybar however nothing came of it. They reportedly want young ML ready pitching

Might be slow 2 days tho-seems we are asking for alot even for the veterans who will be gone next year

Comment

Working...
                                X