No announcement yet.

Rays vs. Marlins 5/1-5/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straily making my point that pitching will continue be our biggest concern. Oh I wish we would of held on to our prospects the last few years.

Comment

Our starting pitching is bad? What a shocking development.

Have we really traded away any pitching prospects in the last three years that would be in our rotation right now, though? I can't think of any. We're not developing pitching prospects period.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
        Our starting pitching is bad? What a shocking development.

Have we really traded away any pitching prospects in the last three years that would be in our rotation right now, though? I can't think of any. We're not developing pitching prospects period.
        It's not shocking but apparently Hech us a bigger deal lol. Heaney I know he's hurt but you never know. The kid from Houston is in their rotation. Castillo will be in the reds rotation. Disco I feel like is a clone of Straily. We could still have him instead of us getting Latos

Comment

Both Heaney and Desco have serious injuries right now. Heaney's only made 24 starts at the major league level. I really think the Straily-Castillo deal will be a wash in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
            Both Heaney and Desco have serious injuries right now. Heaney's only made 24 starts at the major league level. I really think the Straily-Castillo deal will be a wash in the end.
            Yeah injuries are always the wild card. Who knows if they happen here? They prolly do cause we can't keep anyone healthy lol. Castillo i think will be better in the end. I understand the need for a SP to help now. Mis-management for yrs has screwed us.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
              It's not shocking but apparently Hech us a bigger deal lol. Heaney I know he's hurt but you never know. The kid from Houston is in their rotation. Castillo will be in the reds rotation. Disco I feel like is a clone of Straily. We could still have him instead of us getting Latos
              Believe it or not problems are not 1 or the other for professional sports teams. You can both have a terrible rotation due to a tragic death and a daily black hole in the lineup. Obviously the fact that our ace and a likely top 5 pitcher in baseball for the next 10 years at least dying is a bigger deal than the fact that Hech is a horrific baseball player. That doesnt make Hech less of a problem or less of a horrific baseball player.

- - - - - - - - - -

Heaney, Martes, Disco, Kolek over a guy like Rodon likely for money reasons, the list goes on and on, and that doesnt even include years of straight up skipping out on international free agency when this would likely be an incredibly desirable place for international free agents if we cared at all about spending money to develop a quality organization rather than just looking at the major league roster only.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                Believe it or not problems are not 1 or the other for professional sports teams. You can both have a terrible rotation due to a tragic death and a daily black hole in the lineup. Obviously the fact that our ace and a likely top 5 pitcher in baseball for the next 10 years at least dying is a bigger deal than the fact that Hech is a horrific baseball player. That doesnt make Hech less of a problem or less of a horrific baseball player.
                I'm not saying its 1 or the other. But complaining about a guy who is not the problem currently is pointless. Yes he sucks but he is here and starting. At least he isn't batting for total shit currently. Altho the rest of the team is shitting the bed instead.

- - - - - - - - - -

I think Rodon yes money but was also a concern on stress on the arm too.

Comment

I'm not saying its 1 or the other. But complaining about a guy who is not the problem currently is pointless. Yes he sucks but he is here and starting. At least he isn't batting for total shit currently. Altho the rest of the team is shitting the bed instead.

- - - - - - - - - -

I think Rodon yes money but was also a concern on stress on the arm too.
                  Hech is not THE problem, but he is a huge problem. On a team of 25 players, no one player will ever be THE problem. that is just word play. im not saying anything you dont know and im not going to continue to talk about it, but Hech is a terrible baseball player. No glove could ever overcome how bad he is offensively and not only that, but he has no speed or any kind of offensive potential to overcome that awfulness. Listen, im not arguing that this team is average at best because Hech is bringing down a good team, no one thinks that. But Hech is a black hole and has been for 5 consecutive years. There is no potential. there is nothing offensively like + speed to overcome being a horrific hitter. he is a 1890's baseball player that should have been traded for a bag of peanuts like 2-3 years ago.

Just because we also have an ace-less rotation doesnt mean that Hech is any less of a problem/complete black hole. Baseball is an individual game parading as a team sport, and just because other problems exist doesnt mean another problem is any less significant. Im not breaking any news, and everyone knows this. We arent even arguing over anything.

Regarding rodon, yes the money was a problem, but that is my whole issue with this team under Loria. We cheap out and dont spend on the draft and IFA, and it all ends up evening out or even becoming more expensive because we end up spending more money on inherently more expensive FA's (because obviously established, even mediocre, FA's will be more expensive). So we dont spend in the draft or IFA and we end up spending more getting mediocre FA's like Tazawa or Volquez that have values that could easily be replaced at the same or better levels for 6 years on rookie +arbitration deals if we spent in the draft or IFA . It is just such an obviously bad building strategy that a guy who has accumulated as much wealth as Loria should realize is not saving him any money and is making his product obviously worse. That is my only complaint with the marlins.

Hell, if we were stupid and overspent on "star free agents," id mind that less than the current team building strategy. Im not saying anything new, but it just has boggled my mind for like 10+ years that an MLB owner can accumulate as much wealth as Loria obviously has and be this horrifically stupid at running an organization.

Comment

Hech is not THE problem, but he is a huge problem. On a team of 25 players, no one player will ever be THE problem. that is just word play. im not saying anything you dont know and im not going to continue to talk about it, but Hech is a terrible baseball player. No glove could ever overcome how bad he is offensively and not only that, but he has no speed or any kind of offensive potential to overcome that awfulness. Listen, im not arguing that this team is average at best because Hech is bringing down a good team, no one thinks that. But Hech is a black hole and has been for 5 consecutive years. There is no potential. there is nothing offensively like + speed to overcome being a horrific hitter. he is a 1890's baseball player that should have been traded for a bag of peanuts like 2-3 years ago.

Just because we also have an ace-less rotation doesnt mean that Hech is any less of a problem/complete black hole. Baseball is an individual game parading as a team sport, and just because other problems exist doesnt mean another problem is any less significant. Im not breaking any news, and everyone knows this. We arent even arguing over anything.

Regarding rodon, yes the money was a problem, but that is my whole issue with this team under Loria. We cheap out and dont spend on the draft and IFA, and it all ends up evening out or even becoming more expensive because we end up spending more money on inherently more expensive FA's (because obviously established, even mediocre, FA's will be more expensive). So we dont spend in the draft or IFA and we end up spending more getting mediocre FA's like Tazawa or Volquez that have values that could easily be replaced at the same or better levels for 6 years on rookie +arbitration deals if we spent in the draft or IFA . It is just such an obviously bad building strategy that a guy who has accumulated as much wealth as Loria should realize is not saving him any money and is making his product obviously worse. That is my only complaint with the marlins.

Hell, if we were stupid and overspent on "star free agents," id mind that less than the current team building strategy. Im not saying anything new, but it just has boggled my mind for like 10+ years that an MLB owner can accumulate as much wealth as Loria obviously has and be this horrifically stupid at running an organization.
                    We tried the overspend on star FAs. They were shipped to Toronto lol

Comment

We tried the overspend on star FAs. They were shipped to Toronto lol
                      And im perfectly fine with that, to be honest. If we had developed an organization through the draft of IFa behind that, that would have been an OK strategy. Obviously we were sabotaged by Loria getting involved not only in foolishly adding Heath Bell but John Buck and later Salty as well, but there is nothing wrong with adding a high priced free agent, but it is this whole "one or the other strategy" that is just so foolish. Again, we arent arguing and im not saying anything you dont know, it is just that this franchise is going to be better so much by default by being out of the hands of the bumbling idiot that is Jeffrey Loria that it is hard to put into words.

And the interview from Loria from a few weeks ago, which I want to say was on ESPN, where he said that he knew baseball just completely explains how pathetic this franchise has been since 2003 in just about every facet.

How this man has been able to acquire enough wealth to turn it into the asset that he is about to acquire is incredibly hard to believe based on how he has ran this team, but it really gives credence to the saying that the easiest way to make money is to already have money.

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

Heaney, Martes, Disco, Kolek over a guy like Rodon likely for money reasons, the list goes on and on, and that doesnt even include years of straight up skipping out on international free agency when this would likely be an incredibly desirable place for international free agents if we cared at all about spending money to develop a quality organization rather than just looking at the major league roster only.
                        while I'm sure money played a part in it, it's worth noting that I heard on very good authority (and lived near NC State at the time) that Rodon refused to take a pre-draft physical for the Marlins, which is within his rights to do but did concern them.

Also it's worth noting that he's injured too, and he hasn't been all that good when he's been healthy
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                          while I'm sure money played a part in it, it's worth noting that I heard on very good authority (and lived near NC State at the time) that Rodon refused to take a pre-draft physical for the Marlins, which is within his rights to do but did concern them.

Also it's worth noting that he's injured too, and he hasn't been all that good when he's been healthy
                          While he hasn't been great, he would probably be the best pitcher in the marlins rotation right now and still has top of the rotation potential. Trea Turner was also a guy we were interested in. The marlins picked the only guy in the top 10 who ended up signing who either hasnt been in the Majors yet or isnt a top prospect.

Edit- Alex Jackson by the mariners at 6 was also a bust but the point stands.

Comment

Chen not starting tomorrow. No reason given. Urena starting sunday. Oof.

Comment

Chen not starting tomorrow. No reason given. Urena starting sunday. Oof.
                              He was put on the 10-day DL for arm fatigue or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                                Wow thanks now I'll never be loved [emoji22]
                                I love you man.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                                He was put on the 10-day DL for arm fatigue or something like that.
                                Hope it is not too serious.
                                Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                                Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                                Noah Perio
                                Jupiter
                                39 AB
                                15 H
                                0 2B
                                0 3B
                                0 HR
                                0 BB
                                .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
                                X