Mets @ Marlins 4/13-4/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    Hand wasnt going to do that here regardless, even though his last year here lefties hit .206 and had an OPS of .512 against him. Urena hasnt shown that in the slightest. Hand had shown that he was capable of this in his splits in his last year here. Urena has gotten clobbered by both lefties and righties. If he ends up contributing somewhere else, so be it, because with the way we develop pitchers he isnt capable of doing that here. Keeping a guy like Urena is not worth having a 4 man bench for the entire year. You have already seen it countless times in the first 10 days of the season alone, it is crippling this team and it is not worth it. If there were another weak link in the bullpen then id understand keeping Urena even if he was slightly worse than the other weak link, but Urena is by far the worst reliever we have and the 4 man bench is killing this team.
    U don't have to convince me,if I ran the FO I would have traded him for a low level prospect and go with a 5 man bench like u said. I am just saying what the FO is doing now and why. They don't want to lose a 95mph FB that has some control and possibly have another Brad Hand thing.

Well to be fair I think we can say first 10 days David Phelps has been crippling this team HAHA

The funny thing is u have Javy Guerra and Cunniff sitting in AAA who can both still play in the Majors easily if they needed another arm and likely are better than Urena. Not sure what bat u would call up tho? Destin Hood can hit but only plays the OF,Yefri Perez can play 2B/SS and run but couldnt hit off a tee

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      U don't have to convince me,if I ran the FO I would have traded him for a low level prospect and go with a 5 man bench like u said. I am just saying what the FO is doing now and why. They don't want to lose a 95mph FB that has some control and possibly have another Brad Hand thing.

Well to be fair I think we can say first 10 days David Phelps has been crippling this team HAHA

The funny thing is u have Javy Guerra and Cunniff sitting in AAA who can both still play in the Majors easily if they needed another arm and likely are better than Urena. Not sure what bat u would call up tho? Destin Hood can hit but only plays the OF,Yefri Perez can play 2B/SS and run but couldnt hit off a tee
      Ok, well ya i agree that they probably are scared to lose him and have him become something like Hand, but everything abotu Hand's peripherals before he left and Urena's now say that that is not going to be the case with Urena.

I'd get rid of him and bring up Telis to platoon with Bour.

I dont think Phelps has been good, but he hasnt been that terrible. He had the one bad outing in his first outing and gave up a run last night. 7/1 K/BB too so his numbers will regress to the mean. Tazawa has been pretty horrific though. Also our bullpen has given up 7 HR's in however many games we've played so far. I dont know what the league average generally is but that seems like a lot for however many games we've played thus far.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, I really like Ziegler and he has been really good thus far and I have a feeling he will be our closer before the end of the year at some point, but WTF are we doing spending 14 million combined on 2 relievers in Ziegler and Tazawa at the easiest position to find competent players instead of going after a platoon guy for Bour, whether it is (ya, im saying it again) Napoli or Chris Carter or someone who mashes lefties. Or at the very least let Telis play up here against lefties. I just dont get why we acquired him if he is going to excel at exactly what we brought him in to excel at in the minors and he doesnt even get a chance.

Justin Bour has never hit a HR in his career against lefties and has a .564 OPS. Its just such 1970's roster construction. We are so behind all these other teams as far as basic team building things in this day and age of baseball. So we are going to turn what could be an .800+ 1b position into a likelt .730-.750 OPS if Bour plays every day. IT is just little incremental things like this where we are purposely putting ourselves in a bind and at a disadvantage.

Comment

Getting back to the game tonight and last night, pitching conley didnt really hurt us as much as it could have. The off day earlier this week helped out a lot, as did conley not waiting to prolong blowing the game.

Also, did anyone actually hear anything in regards to Ramos after the game last night? That was really weird that he would start warming up in the bottom of the 8th and then somehow be unavailable later in the game when he is the last reliever available and there be no injury or talking about it.

Jarlin Garcia came up for Wittgren. We need at least 7 from Volquez tonight. So he'll probably get shelled.

- - - - - - - - - -

Gordon, Realmuto, Yelich, Ozuna, Bour, Dietrich, Ichiro, Rojas, Volquez tonight.

That 3 straight lefties is going to come into play tonight. Dont know how to get around that with those names though if we are gonna give Stanton the night off. Whats the lineup going to be when Prado comes back. Prado in the 2 slot or Realmuto?

Gordon, Realmuto/Prado, Yelich, Stanton, Ozuna, Bour, Realmuto/Prado, Hech is what I assume Mattingly goes with.

If Gordon could return to 2015 form and we would stop insisting on not having a platoon for Bour that could be a hell of a lineup.

Comment

With one on and two out, they don't let Volquez get out of the 5th. McGowan comes in for one out, and is PH for. I guess they expect Jarlin Garcia to go a few innings? A lot to ask a young guy in his first major league game. I wonder about wasting McGowan for one out and not letting Volquez try to get out of the 5th (even with runs at a premium with Syndergaard on the mound against them), especially with the pitcher's spot up in the bottom of that inning.

Comment

McGowan pitched 2 innings last night so i understand using him for a short period of time, but stupid to use a PH for him. Yet again, the short bench is fucking us.

Comment

Was a missing something or was Rojas clearly safe at home? How was he ruled out after the replay?

Comment

Originally posted by el nino View Post
                Was a missing something or was Rojas clearly safe at home? How was he ruled out after the replay?
                One angle he looked clearly safe and another he looked out, was ruled out on field so i think it was inconclusive.

Comment

The dreaded "call stands."

Comment

Originally posted by geemoney View Post
                    The dreaded "call stands."
                    I get why they do it but it really kind of makes no sense if you think about it. Why would they go with the call on the field that was made in real time rather than making the best decision on the countless replays they have. if it is inconclusive go with the best guess based on the available video angles, not the call that was made in real time.

Comment

tough ass way for Conley to go out tonight. pitched very well. This lineup reminds me a lot of that marlins team of 08 or whenever it was when they struck out so much. We dont strike out as much as that but similar and it is just a killer not being able to consistently put the ball in play.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                        I get why they do it but it really kind of makes no sense if you think about it. Why would they go with the call on the field that was made in real time rather than making the best decision on the countless replays they have. if it is inconclusive go with the best guess based on the available video angles, not the call that was made in real time.
                        The point being is that - like any replay system - there has to be indisputable/conclusive evidence to overturn the call, and if they're not sure, they default/revert back to the call on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                          The point being is that - like any replay system - there has to be indisputable/conclusive evidence to overturn the call, and if they're not sure, they default/revert back to the call on the field.
                          i understand that, but why. There is nothing about that call on the field that makes it more reliable than people looking at slow motion replay 15 times at different angles. I obviously understand why they do what they do, but why not just go with the best possible conclusion based on different replay angles?

- - - - - - - - - -

Chances we trade Hech soon? Its been 5 years of his shitty AB's, he's never going to be good enough offensively, Rojas is just as good defensively and his stats dont look good but for some reason i love his bat a lot more.

Comment

I've seen enough to move on from Hech, but the FO won't.

Sheesh, how many home runs is this Tazawa guy going to give up? Seems like one every time he pitches.

Comment

Sheesh, how many home runs is this Tazawa guy going to give up? Seems like one every time he pitches.
                              They blew the opportunity to get something possibly meaningful for him i think a few years ago, but I think we could still get either a struggling starter with potential or a quality reliever for him from an AL team. Worth the risk IMO, he can not be a starting SS in the NL.

- - - - - - - - - -

At least the bullpen wasnt already the chief strength of this team and didnt have a need for a platoon guy at 1b. Now that would be stupid.

- - - - - - - - - -

This team has so many good bats individually, but collectively as a lineup I just dont think it works. Its very early but it looks a lot like last year where we just dont have enough slugging potential to score enough runs. And idk what the move is to improve it aside from improvements from the existing core, which is certainly possible.

- - - - - - - - - -

Of course as I write that haha. Didnt even realize there was someone on base for Yelich's blast.

- - - - - - - - - -

Holy shit that was quick. I am horrific at predictions. Go fish.

- - - - - - - - - -

This would be a huge win but man those 2 losses on wednesday and thursday hurt looking back. But all in all we've been pretty encouraging the first few weeks of the year.

Comment

They hurt, but I guess it's good to know that they easily could've had 2-3 more wins....and by that I mean, we've been competitive in pretty much every game so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X